WARNING - downgrading to gen1 is now completely safe, instructions at bottom of first post
WARNING - please read about what you are doing - if you choose to follow these instructions - be aware of what they do.
WARNING - cm7 will not fit in the 128mb partition layout, choose 136mb or standard layout.
WARNING - back up channel1.nvm and keep it safe, you may never need it, but better to keep hold of it
WARNING - Rom-Manager does not yet have a gen2 recovery.img, you cannot use it to update to gen2 cm7
If your just looking for a Custom ROM for your device then there is a method to put GEN1 Roms WITHOUT changing you device to a GEN2 layout
OK with all the talk going on about gen2, I decided to collate all info here. I hope this is it.
First off, download this file containing the stock recoveries. http://www.mediafire...kx76glmuxym6adp (Just rehosted here - All credit goes to hecatae for this). This is a simple zip that you can flash through clockwork. So after doing that, you will no longer have cwm but will have stock recovery on your phone (which is needed for gen1 to gen2 conversion.) Reboot to get back to your ROM.
At this point, download SS RLS4b on to your sdcard and leave it there.(Important)
Now there's many different ways you can partition your phone whilst moving to gen2. You can download hecatae's on the first page of this post - http://www.multiupload.com/MZHDCOTG0Z You will find 2 folders inside this zip file. They will, respectively give you the following partition layouts -gen2_org_partitions-------------------/dev/block/mtdblock4 37.5M /cache/dev/block/mtdblock5 220.0M /system/dev/block/mtdblock6 162.5M /datagen2_128mb_system-----------------/dev/block/mtdblock4 37.5M /cache/dev/block/mtdblock5 128.0M /system/dev/block/mtdblock6 254.5M /datakallt_kaffe's gen_conversion_ver2.zip located at http://www.mediafire...c7ccca95jf2huwr Now this zip has 4 different types of partition layouts -gen2_org_partitions-------------------/dev/block/mtdblock4 37.5M /cache/dev/block/mtdblock5 220.0M /system/dev/block/mtdblock6 162.5M /datagen2_128mb_system-----------------/dev/block/mtdblock4 37.5M /cache/dev/block/mtdblock5 128.0M /system/dev/block/mtdblock6 254.5M /datagen2_128mb_system_no_oem------------------------/dev/block/mtdblock4 37.5M /cache/dev/block/mtdblock5 128.0M /system/dev/block/mtdblock6 275.4M /datagen2_128mb_system_no_oem_2mb_cache----------------------------------/dev/block/mtdblock4 2.0M /cache/dev/block/mtdblock5 128.0M /system/dev/block/mtdblock6 310.9M /data
I've also included this custom partition layout that I used - gen2_136mb_system_no_oem_2mb_cache - http://www.multiupload.com/J3HG2OIIQVgen2_136mb_system_no_oem_2mb_cache---------------------------------------/dev/block/mtdblock4 2.0M /cache/dev/block/mtdblock5 136.0M /system/dev/block/mtdblock6 302.9M /data
This will obviously give you slightly less /data and a slightly larger /system. Choose any one of the above partition layouts and extract the corresponding folder on to your hard drive. It can be located anywhere at all, doesn't matter.
Now, Inside the folder that you chose, there is an exe file called download_nochecksGen2.exe. Just run that file as Administrator. You will be presented with the following screenNow, on your phone, power it down, remove battery as it's not needed to flash. Now holding down the volume-down key, connect the usb cable.
You will be presented with a screen that says FTM.
Now connect the phone to your PC, and then the Start button becomes clickable after a few seconds, assuming all drivers have been correctly installed.
Just hit Start
It will take 3 minutes or so to completely flash. DO NOT interrupt this process in any way. When this completes 98%, Clockworkmod recovery will start automatically on the phone. Wait for the process to complete.
After flashing is complete, you will get a prompt on you computer screen saying flashing is done.
Now on your phone, select Reboot Recovery, which will flash clockwork. Now, install SS RLS4b in the usual way. (Install zip from sdcard)
After installing that, select Reboot system now.
You will find yourself on the launcher screen. Congratulations, you have a gen2 device!
[optional] If you want to verify this, download kk's Mr. Pigfish app from the market and it will say you have a gen2 device.
Please feel free to point out any corrections.
Here's the file http://www.multiupload.com/MZHDCOTG0Z
these are the basic instructions pulled out of this thread http://android.modac...asonera-phones/
Disadvantages of doing this:
- cant use any gen1 rom
- cant use tpt method
- cant use fastboot unless by ADB.
- cant downgrade to gen1
[*]can install cyanogenmod 7.0.1
[*]better network reception
[*]HSUPA enabled, screenshot to follow
[*]850mhz enabled for GSM and 3G
DOWNGRADE GEN2 to GEN1: not needed in my opinion but if you want to
credits to everyone in this thread: http://android.modac...pgrade-to-gen2/
I have tested out my idea and it works as intended. No Damage to IMEI. This should make the process a fair bit more reliable and less frightening.
Files needed for downgrade
• Gen2toGen1Windows_v2.zip – contains the downgrade tool and Gen1 Firmware. md5:219775DFAB48828919B87E46D9ABFA93
• restore_stock_recovery.zip - flashes stock recovery which enables FTM mode
• recovery-clockwork-22.214.171.124-blade-gen1-update_signed.zip – this is so you can flash clockworkmod correctly after the downgrade
• http://www.mediafire...iv91d1edrd2iytj or another ROM that supports Gen1 – This is so you can install a ROM after the downgrade
1. Save restore_stock_recovery.zip, recovery-clockwork-126.96.36.199-blade-gen1-update_signed.zip, and Swedish_Spring_RLS5.zip to your phone's SD Card.
2. Restart your phone with volume down held. From clockworkmod recovery, flash restore_stock_recovery.zip. This will replace clockworkmod for the time being.
3. Restart your phone with volume down held. The words FTM should appear on the screen.
4. Connect your phone to your PC via USB.
5. Unzip the contents of Gen2toGen1Windows_v2.zip to your computer and run download_nochecksGen2.exe. There should be a green “Ready” under the start button. Press the start button.
6. Wait patiently while your phone is upgraded. Do not interrupt this process! Your screen will go black for a while.
7. When the upgrade is complete, a message will appear saying that flashing was successful.
8. Disconnect your phone and remove the battery. Reinsert the battery and turn on the phone (normally, with no buttons pressed). Your phone should boot into clockworkmod recovery.
9. This is IMPORTANT: clockworkmod is now installed to your phone’s boot partition. This means that if you install a ROM at this point you will overwrite clockworkmod. You must now flash recovery-clockwork 188.8.131.52-blade-gen1-update_signed.zip. This will install clockworkmod to the recovery partition where it belongs, replacing stock recovery (FTM mode).
10. Restart your phone with volume down held. It should boot into clockworkmod.
11. Install Swedish_Spring_RLS5.zip (or any other Gen1 ROM) in clockworkmod, and wipe data. Your phone is now Gen1 with Spedish Spring.
12. Check your IMEI and make sure it is the same as the one written behind the battery, and use the Ask Mr Pigfish app if you want to confirm you are running Gen1.
The changes I have made
All I have changed from v1 is to replace recovery.img with the stock gen1 recovery image and update boot.img with the latest Gen1 version of clockwork. The phone automatically boots into FTM mode at the end of the upgrade process – there is no need to intervene until the flasher has completed. As I said above, that means that clockworkmod will overwrite itself if you install a ROM before step 9. If you flash the wrong ROM at that point, your phone would become unbootable. After step 9, everything is back to normal and you can install as many incompatible ROMs as you like.
Edited by hecatae, 06 May 2011 - 09:12 AM.