gen1 to gen2 and gen2 to gen1, windows flashing only

Guest hecatae

When does Clockworkmod get put back in the process ? or is this just a stupid noob question ?

After you run FTM and do the install using download.exe*.

* Note: Only applies if you are not an idiot and actually READ the instructions (see my previous post for more). :D

Guest Gounadive
After you run FTM and do the install using download.exe*.

* Note: Only applies if you are not an idiot and actually READ the instructions (see my previous post for more). :D

Thanks !

Guest gitly-git

What are the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2?

Why do it as there is only the 1 compatible ROM?

Sorry for the negative questions, but I have had fun with the Froyo ROMs and CM7 and wonder if Gen 2 is really worth the switch.

What are the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2?

Why do it as there is only the 1 compatible ROM?

Sorry for the negative questions, but I have had fun with the Froyo ROMs and CM7 and wonder if Gen 2 is really worth the switch.

I personally did it for the extra operating frequencies that make it more like a Quad Band phone. This feature was more important to me than having a choice of ROM's for now. Though by the sounds of things, support for gen2 phones will only grow.

As more phones sell across Europe, gen2 will become the more common model. On top of this, ZTE plan to release it in North America in the next couple of months.... so hopefully better gen2 ROM support will follow on.

in the meantime, I genuinely seem to have better reception on my phone since upgrading, but it's still early days.

Just my thoughts thus far.

Guest Rotmann
in the meantime, I genuinely seem to have better reception on my phone since upgrading, but it's still early days.

Just my thoughts thus far.

Compare the db number from the setings-about-status and not the signal bars. If you think you have better reception only based on the signal bars, that's wrong because they depend only on editable settings.

Edited by Rotmann

Ah then perhaps its no different... I hadn't made a note of the DB level before I upgraded. I did find it puzzling that software could make such a difference to hardware capability.

Has anyone confirmed that the 850mhz mode has been unlocked with this update? This was my primary reason for updating...

Edited by Guest

Guest Aurimas L.

I had problems with not responsive touchscreen after flashing any custom roms.

When I switched to Gen2 problem is gone from now. I'm using SS RLS4b.

Guest Smiff2
I had problems with not responsive touchscreen after flashing any custom roms.

When I switched to Gen2 problem is gone from now. I'm using SS RLS4b.

hoo-ray! looks like we can all go back to buying lots more OSFs? :D

er as soon as others confirm it really is fixed for good?

Guest Aurimas L.
hoo-ray! looks like we can all go back to buying lots more OSFs? B)

er as soon as others confirm it really is fixed for good?

Yeah, let's wait for more replies about fixed touchscreen :D !

Guest hedgepigdaniel

I note from the fist post of this thread that the cache partition is largely wasted space which can be better dedicated to the data partition. Is there any chance of including a version of this gen conversion tool that redirects this space to the data partition, or is there an easy way I can do it myself?

Guest sitic
I note from the fist post of this thread that the cache partition is largely wasted space which can be better dedicated to the data partition. Is there any chance of including a version of this gen conversion tool that redirects this space to the data partition, or is there an easy way I can do it myself?

It's already integrated:

So basically this is the procedure:

[...]

3. Run the the installer you want to install, can choose 128mb system partition layout or original partition layout

Which will change the partiton layout to:

gen2_128mb_system

-----------------

/dev/block/mtdblock4	 37.5M	/cache

/dev/block/mtdblock5	128.0M	/system

/dev/block/mtdblock6	254.5M	/data

There is also a guide somewhere here how to do it on a Gen1/Gen2 phone (without upgrading).

Guest hedgepigdaniel
It's already integrated:

Which will change the partiton layout to:

gen2_128mb_system

-----------------

/dev/block/mtdblock4	 37.5M	/cache

/dev/block/mtdblock6	254.5M	/data
There is also a guide somewhere here how to do it on a Gen1/Gen2 phone (without upgrading).
Yes I saw that, but I was referring to the cache partition rather than the system partition. In the post I linked to, the tool reduces the size of the cache partition from around 40MB to 2-3MB, devoting the saved space to the data partition. This is in addition to reducing the size of the system partition from the default to 128MB - the data partition gets saved space from the both the data and cache partitions. My suggestion is to offer that possibility in the Gen2 upgrade. EDIT: for example:
gen2_Optimized_system

-----------------

/dev/block/mtdblock4	 2.5M	/cache

/dev/block/mtdblock6	289.5M	/data

Edited by hedgepigdaniel

Guest Fadox

Will CM roms be able to gen.2 phones, later? If i have any problem with my phone warranty will accept it, since there's no method to downgrade to gen1?

Yes I saw that, but I was referring to the cache partition rather than the system partition. In the post I linked to, the tool reduces the size of the cache partition from around 40MB to 2-3MB, devoting the saved space to the data partition. This is in addition to reducing the size of the system partition from the default to 128MB - the data partition gets saved space from the both the data and cache partitions. My suggestion is to offer that possibility in the Gen2 upgrade.

EDIT:

for example:

gen2_Optimized_system

-----------------

/dev/block/mtdblock4	 2.5M	/cache

/dev/block/mtdblock6	289.5M	/data

There's also a new oem partition, 21mb, totally wasted space on an upgraded gen2 phone.

Guest gwebb
1. Install stock recovery (if you are currently running clockwork) with the included recovery restorer.

I need to ask a stupid question.

How do I install a stock recovery image?

I have ClockworkMod Recovery installed, do I simply copy the recovery image to the SD card and then boot into ClockwordMod to flash the stock image replacing it? Or is there some other way of installing a recovery image.

Use the Recovery Manager! D'oh!

I think I confused myself by expecting something more complicated. :D

Edited by gwebb

Guest gwebb

In the end, once I'd twigged the bleeding obvious and used Recovery Manager to install the recovery image, it was easy to switch from Gen 1 to Gen 2. :D

Guest kallt_kaffe
There's also a new oem partition, 21mb, totally wasted space on an upgraded gen2 phone.

The Japanese 2.2 used this to store camera photos if the SD-card was not present. I haven't seen any other 2.2 ROMs do that.

I'll have another go with the hexeditor to try to reduce it to a minimum.

EDIT: Correction. The new official 2.2 ROMs does mount the oem partition but the comviq rom has a prop in build.prop that I believe prevents it from using it. The TeliaSonera ROM on the other hand does not have this prop. Swedish Spring is based on the Comviq ROM and should not use, nor does it mount it as that wouldn't work on Gen1 phones anyway. Hexedited oem partition down to 128kb and I now have 275.4Mb on /data.

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Guest unrandomsam
The Japanese 2.2 used this to store camera photos if the SD-card was not present. I haven't seen any other 2.2 ROMs do that.

I'll have another go with the hexeditor to try to reduce it to a minimum.

EDIT: Correction. The new official 2.2 ROMs does mount the oem partition but the comviq rom has a prop in build.prop that I believe prevents it from using it. The TeliaSonera ROM on the other hand does not have this prop. Swedish Spring is based on the Comviq ROM and should not use, nor does it mount it as that wouldn't work on Gen1 phones anyway. Hexedited oem partition down to 128kb and I now have 275.4Mb on /data.

Can you post the updated mbn's

(I am looking for getting my partitions setup identical to shrink_cache_sane.zip)

prefer to get rid of the oem partition entirely.

(Only intend using CM7)

Guest CaptainSpectacular

Hi all.

I don't know if I'm the only one to have this little problem. Since I've updated my Blade from Gen1 to Gen2, my signal icon is often 1 or maybe 2 ... This can be a Gen 2 (SS RLS4b) update result ? Or simply my old CRT computer screen.

Thanks.

PS: I have -91 dBm 11 asu or -99dBm 7 asu

EDIT: strange, when I set the option "GSM/WCDMA" on "GSM only" I have 3 or 4 full signal with -79dBm 17 asu... Any idea ?

I don't use DATA for now.^^

Edited by CaptainSpectacular

Guest kallt_kaffe
Can you post the updated mbn's

(I am looking for getting my partitions setup identical to shrink_cache_sane.zip)

prefer to get rid of the oem partition entirely.

(Only intend using CM7)

Here you go. Just the changed files. I'll make a more complete package when/if I get time.

The 2mb cache version is OK for CM7 or if you use the cache2tmpfs update. The no_oem version should be OK for anyone.

128mb_system_no_oem.zip

128mb_system_no_oem_2mb_cache.zip

Guest unrandomsam
Here you go. Just the changed files. I'll make a more complete package when/if I get time.

The 2mb cache version is OK for CM7 or if you use the cache2tmpfs update. The no_oem version should be OK for anyone.

Thanks alot.