Anyone know how to fix 16GB SD card that's not working with HTC Desire?

Guest Shadow75

Guest Shadow75

Hello all,

I hope someone can help me. I have just bought a new SanDisk, 16GB, Micro SDHC.

The problem is that my HTC Desire is not recognizing it all. It works okay with my other two phones which are a LG KF757 Secret, and LG KP500. They are both reading and accepting the card without any problems. I have connected both phones to computer via usb connection and they work fine. But my HTC Desire is not recognizing it. B)

This is what I did:

1. Formatted the SD Card to Fat32, I did this using my LG KP500 phone as it was the only way to access it.

2. Put the SD card in my HTC Desire, powered the phone back on and waited up to ten minutes with nothing happening.

3. Put the SD card back in LG KP500 phone, put my new Zip ROM onto the SD card.

4. Put card back into HTC Desire, then opened up the "Recovery" and flashed the new ROM.

5. I have flashed ROM's for over a year now and have never experienced any problems until now!

6. Still waiting over ten mins and its in a loop. On the screen in showing the "HTC Logo" and underneath it "Quietly brilliant". This screen is looping constantly.

I have reflashed it over ten times. Deleted the ROM and replaced it thinking it may be faulty, so tried it in my 8GB SD card which works great. So I know the ROM works okay. I have tried different ROM's from various different people including from Paul at Modaco, which still does not work.

I have no clue why this is happening. I have a SanDisk, 8GB, Micro SDHC which works perfectly in my HTC Desire. I got a bigger SD card for more storage.

I have researched online over the last week, reading lots of different forums all over the net, not just in here and I cannot find a solution. I have contacted SanDisk techical support and they said they are looking it to it for me asking me lots questions of why it may not be working.

I was just hoping that someone may have an answer of how I can get around this problem so I can start using my new 16GB SD card in my HTC Desire.

Many thanks in advance for any helpful answers and patience :D

Guest alex_hk90
Hello all,

I hope someone can help me. I have just bought a new SanDisk, 16GB, Micro SDHC.

The problem is that my HTC Desire is not recognizing it all. It works okay with my other two phones which are a LG KF757 Secret, and LG KP500. They are both reading and accepting the card without any problems. I have connected both phones to computer via usb connection and they work fine. But my HTC Desire is not recognizing it. B)

This is what I did:

1. Formatted the SD Card to Fat32, I did this using my LG KP500 phone as it was the only way to access it.

2. Put the SD card in my HTC Desire, powered the phone back on and waited up to ten minutes with nothing happening.

3. Put the SD card back in LG KP500 phone, put my new Zip ROM onto the SD card.

4. Put card back into HTC Desire, then opened up the "Recovery" and flashed the new ROM.

5. I have flashed ROM's for over a year now and have never experienced any problems until now!

6. Still waiting over ten mins and its in a loop. On the screen in showing the "HTC Logo" and underneath it "Quietly brilliant". This screen is looping constantly.

I have reflashed it over ten times. Deleted the ROM and replaced it thinking it may be faulty, so tried it in my 8GB SD card which works great. So I know the ROM works okay. I have tried different ROM's from various different people including from Paul at Modaco, which still does not work.

I have no clue why this is happening. I have a SanDisk, 8GB, Micro SDHC which works perfectly in my HTC Desire. I got a bigger SD card for more storage.

I have researched online over the last week, reading lots of different forums all over the net, not just in here and I cannot find a solution. I have contacted SanDisk techical support and they said they are looking it to it for me asking me lots questions of why it may not be working.

I was just hoping that someone may have an answer of how I can get around this problem so I can start using my new 16GB SD card in my HTC Desire.

Many thanks in advance for any helpful answers and patience :D

Provided it's a genuine Sandisk card (I had issues with a couple of fake 32GB Sandisk cards a while back, no doubt there exist fake 16GB ones too), then the only thing I can think of is do you use a ROM with A2SD? If so you'll need to set up the partitions correctly on your new card.

Guest Shadow75
Provided it's a genuine Sandisk card (I had issues with a couple of fake 32GB Sandisk cards a while back, no doubt there exist fake 16GB ones too), then the only thing I can think of is do you use a ROM with A2SD? If so you'll need to set up the partitions correctly on your new card.

Thanks for your reply. I have tried all that and nothing. And yes its a genuine SanDisk card.

I have been in contact with SanDisk and they say that 16GB cards are not compatible with HTC Desire phones. I have also been talking with HTC and they told me the same. HTC said that they have tested all SD card with HTC Devices and the Desire can only accept up to 8GB no more. They recommended SanDisk and Kingston as the best SD cards out there.

I have no idea if anyone out there has a solution as other HTC Devices accept up to 32GB but not the Desire for some reason.

Guest bpivk
I have been in contact with SanDisk and they say that 16GB cards are not compatible with HTC Desire phones. I have also been talking with HTC and they told me the same. HTC said that they have tested all SD card with HTC Devices and the Desire can only accept up to 8GB no more.

They're pulling your chain. I use a Kingston Class 10 16gb SD card in my Desire and it works just fine. I never experienced any problems with it.

Edited by bpivk

Guest alex_hk90
Thanks for your reply. I have tried all that and nothing. And yes its a genuine SanDisk card.

I have been in contact with SanDisk and they say that 16GB cards are not compatible with HTC Desire phones. I have also been talking with HTC and they told me the same. HTC said that they have tested all SD card with HTC Devices and the Desire can only accept up to 8GB no more. They recommended SanDisk and Kingston as the best SD cards out there.

I have no idea if anyone out there has a solution as other HTC Devices accept up to 32GB but not the Desire for some reason.

That's just not true. I'm using a (Sandisk Class 2) 32GB in my HTC Desire with no problems at all.

You didn't mention if you are using a ROM with A2SD?

Edited by alex_hk90

• 2 weeks later...
Guest katch
That's just not true. I'm using a (Sandisk Class 2) 32GB in my HTC Desire with no problems at all.

You didn't mention if you are using a ROM with A2SD?

Hope its ok to link to xda

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=730285

this tool lets you check the SD card to see if its fake. I had a very good looking fake odelivered from an eBay trader. Turned out to be fake, refunded.

I've used varius 16 and 32 gb cards in my desire.

Guest bpivk
I've got a 4GB card which works fine in my Omnia, yet my Desire as well as my PC can't read it!

Try and format it through Omnia and see if it helps. I had a similar problem once and it was because the card was "oddly" (I don't have the proper word to describe that mess :) ) formated.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest loopism
Try and format it through Omnia and see if it helps. I had a similar problem once and it was because the card was "oddly" (I don't have the proper word to describe that mess :unsure: ) formated.

Thanks - I ended up formatting it about three times in my PC and on the Omnia before the Desire would recognise it.

Guest Ommadawn
Thanks - I ended up formatting it about three times in my PC and on the Omnia before the Desire would recognise it.

I'm having similar issues with a Sandisk class 4 32GB card I just purchased. It was a reputable and local dealer I bought it from, and I have run it through a great deal of testing and am sure it's a true 32GB card, but when I put it into the Desire and try to boot, it sits on the boot animation until I pull the battery (I've waited up to 10 minutes with no luck). I AM running a custom Froyo on a rooted device with A2SD so that might complicate matters, but I admit I did that ages ago and still consider myself an android noob when it comes to the nuts and bolts.

Strangely, if I boot into recovery I can mount the card and access it fully from there so I don't know what's going on. I never had a problem with my original 8GB sandisk card. I'll try a few more formats though, and see how that goes I guess.

Guest Ommadawn

I found my problem, and the card is working perfectly now. It was a silly error on my part but I'll post it here as well to help in case someone else has done the same. My ext3 partition was created as a logical partition, not a primary. If using one of these partitions, this is important!! :unsure: