66 replies to this topic

kwenteen

kwenteen

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Devices:streak

Ive read that thread... And I found contradicting info. For instance it tells you it cant be a sdhc card... This is not true...

It also says that any card over 2gb requires a modified boot.img file... This is not true either...my 4gb worked prefect without a modified boot.img

It's not that it's contradictory, it's just that at the beginning, they assumed that any bigger microSD card than 2 GB won't work, because they tried bigger ones...
As more and more people try to use that mod, we get more precise feedback, and we now know that the limit is 4 GB, which is the SD limit, any bigger card is SDHC (correct me if I'm wrong) that is why we said it's SDHC incompatible...
I'm going to write a new thread to synthesize all the info to perform the mod with big SDHC, because the thread is quite a mess... It's much simpler now, and I'm looking for a way to make it even simpler !

boujou bien,
K.

Techneut

Techneut

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Everything!
  • Devices:Dell Streak 5

I think the higher transfer rates use more juice, but could be mistaken. I talked with DJ Steve yesterday and he recommended not to make that mod. In hindsight I don't think it has much if any value. He did say that the "perfmod" option increases quadrant score (and performance) but it causes my streak to be glitchy and I'd rather have a reliable streak than a fast and furious when I want to be Streak. Oh and sense changing back to the stock 2gb card my battery life seems to be what is was prior to changing it.

It's quite possible that the faster card also uses a much higher current!
Has anybody ever tested this? Please tell us about it...

Techneut®
Are you the dove or the statue?

Techneut

Techneut

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

It's quite possible that the faster card also uses a much higher current!
Has anybody ever tested this? Please tell us about it...

Okay, I've found some interesting information about microSDHC cards up to 32 GB/s:
The current consumption is measured by averaging over 1 second.
‧ Before first command: Maximum 15 mA
‧ During initialization: Maximum 100 mA
‧ Operation in Default Mode: Maximum 100 mA
‧ Operation in High Speed Mode: Maximum 200 mA
‧ Operation with other functions: Maximum 500 mA.

More information can be found on http://www.transcend...TS16GUSDHC6.pdf
As you can see, average current consumption can be really high, thus draining the battery quickly...
I also suppose that smaller and slower memorycards will use less juice.

Edited by Techneut, 13 April 2011 - 12:26 PM.

Techneut®

rebski

rebski

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Devices:Dell Streak

It's not that it's contradictory, it's just that at the beginning, they assumed that any bigger microSD card than 2 GB won't work, because they tried bigger ones...
As more and more people try to use that mod, we get more precise feedback, and we now know that the limit is 4 GB, which is the SD limit, any bigger card is SDHC (correct me if I'm wrong) that is why we said it's SDHC incompatible...
I'm going to write a new thread to synthesize all the info to perform the mod with big SDHC, because the thread is quite a mess... It's much simpler now, and I'm looking for a way to make it even simpler !

boujou bien,
K.

Thanks kwenteen.

I had a feeling that the comment was wrong but I didn't read through your thread to verify, sorry, and thank you for coming by here to confirm.

I look forward to the up-to-date guide.

rwbmodaco23

rwbmodaco23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Okay, I've found some interesting information about microSDHC cards up to 32 GB/s:
The current consumption is measured by averaging over 1 second.
‧ Before first command: Maximum 15 mA
‧ During initialization: Maximum 100 mA
‧ Operation in Default Mode: Maximum 100 mA
‧ Operation in High Speed Mode: Maximum 200 mA
‧ Operation with other functions: Maximum 500 mA.

More information can be found on http://www.transcend...TS16GUSDHC6.pdf
As you can see, average current consumption can be really high, thus draining the battery quickly...
I also suppose that smaller and slower memorycards will use less juice.

Do you think the battery drain has anything to do with the class rating, rather than the fact that it's just the SDHC format? It makes sense that a class 10 would suck up more juice than a class 6, for example. What are your thoughts?

jonnybruce

jonnybruce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Do you think the battery drain has anything to do with the class rating, rather than the fact that it's just the SDHC format? It makes sense that a class 10 would suck up more juice than a class 6, for example. What are your thoughts?

Interestingly my streak with the new class10 internal has now decent battery life again.
It seems to have settled down after a few days to what is was before.
Weird!

V3j45

V3j45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Does this LCD work well- as original one? I need replacement too.

cdzo72

cdzo72

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Good evening fellas !! I just followed Techneut's simple way of changing the internal SD card, I used a Patrio LX 4GB class 10 microSDHC card.

After I got up and running again after flashing StreakDroid 1.9 and a 318BB I'm scoring 2497 on Quadrant!!

Can you say WOW!!! Took all of about 20 minutes including replacing the card!!!!!!!!!

final5k

final5k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:TP2
Hmmm just to be on the safe side...we just have to put an empty sd card as internal and the phone would just repair itself? Do we need to place any extra files in the internal sd?

Techneut

Techneut

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Hmmm just to be on the safe side...we just have to put an empty sd card as internal and the phone would just repair itself? Do we need to place any extra files in the internal sd?

Just buy the card, put it in its hidden place in your Streak, and Steve's ROM does the rest by performing a factory reset and initializing the new card.
Success!

Edited by Techneut, 10 May 2011 - 07:07 AM.

Techneut®

keithwwalker

keithwwalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Just buy the card, put it in its hidden place in your Streak, and Steve's ROM does the rest by performing a factory reset and initializing the new card.
Success!

Quick question, I have rooted my phone and wish to upgrade the internal memory, but don't have dj steves mod installed. How can I back up the root OS so that I keep my root and all the files I have installed?

Edited by keithwwalker, 15 May 2011 - 10:07 PM.

Spike8585

Spike8585

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
I just broke my LCD, and I need to replace it. Can anyone tell me if the China replacements have the gorilla glass, or are they just cheap knock-offs that will break again in a few weeks?

It looks like people who break the LCDs, have broken them a few times, and I am concerned that the replacements are inferior...Or maybe people that break them, keep breaking them because that just what they do. :unsure:

gypsydigi

gypsydigi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Devices:Dell STreak

I just broke my LCD, and I need to replace it. Can anyone tell me if the China replacements have the gorilla glass, or are they just cheap knock-offs that will break again in a few weeks?

It looks like people who break the LCDs, have broken them a few times, and I am concerned that the replacements are inferior...Or maybe people that break them, keep breaking them because that just what they do. :unsure:

Well i broke my LCD that i bought from china... This is actually my 4th replacement!!! I had dropped it a few times from a couple of feet with nothing... While i was at work I climbed up some scaffolding and the phone fell from 8 feet. Obviously it shattered. I am just waiting on another screen to arrive. I find they are good. They seem to be exact copies and they didn't break when i dropped it from a couple of feet. Mind you i had my case on it.

Good evening fellas !! I just followed Techneut's simple way of changing the internal SD card, I used a Patrio LX 4GB class 10 microSDHC card.

After I got up and running again after flashing StreakDroid 1.9 and a 318BB I'm scoring 2497 on Quadrant!!

Can you say WOW!!! Took all of about 20 minutes including replacing the card!!!!!!!!!

Its incredible. Its scores nearly as high as the motorola atrix and thats a dual core cpu. I did a direct comparison between mine and a friends atrix. The atrix as higher 3d scores but overall its pretty close. Thats also a stock rom atrix.

Edited by gypsydigi, 16 May 2011 - 02:46 PM.

wangkeqiang

wangkeqiang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
32g,calss10.
but can`t work......
because sdhc???

gypsydigi

gypsydigi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

32g,calss10.
but can`t work......
because sdhc???

No. 4GB maximum for the internal... you can use a 32GB but you must edit your boot file.

wangkeqiang

wangkeqiang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

No. 4GB maximum for the internal... you can use a 32GB but you must edit your boot file.

I see.
Now,4g is ok.
How edit my booting file by myself?
Thanks!

1Quik7

1Quik7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

It looks like people who break the LCDs, have broken them a few times, and I am concerned that the replacements are inferior...Or maybe people that break them, keep breaking them because that just what they do. :P

Just replaced mine..Ebay screen for $60...its totally the same OEM screen.

iceose

iceose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
dose it have any different between sdhc and not sdhc card?? when inserting internal microSD

Edited by iceose, 25 May 2011 - 04:10 PM.

Chapaev

Chapaev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Just replaced mine..Ebay screen for $60...its totally the same OEM screen.

Does it come with Gorilla Glass? Could you please post here a link to the eBay item/seller?

Broke my Dell Streak LCD today - put it in the back poket of my jeans and forget about it. Just "click" and gone. ;) I found several offers about $50 but I'm not sure is it with Gorilla Glass or not. What do you think? Items I've found at Amazon and eBay: [1] [2].

gypsydigi

gypsydigi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Does it come with Gorilla Glass? Could you please post here a link to the eBay item/seller?

Broke my Dell Streak LCD today - put it in the back poket of my jeans and forget about it. Just "click" and gone. ;) I found several offers about $50 but I'm not sure is it with Gorilla Glass or not. What do you think? Items I've found at Amazon and eBay: [1] [2].

http://cgi.ebay.ca/w...ME:L:OU:CA:1123

you can pick it up from them. thats where i ordered another screen for a new dell streak i picked up. They all have the glass on it. i don't know if its gorilla glass but i am pretty sure it is. usually the lcd will break before the glass. thats been my experiences. I haven't had a problem when buying the Chinese lcd screens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users