[SOLVED]Anyone else suffering from bad GPS performance?

Guest aMpeX

Guest akira de aimbuster

Ahh too bad I am having limited data plan, having just a mere 100mb data plan makes me worry, as I noticed "default,supl" will be using the data too.

Is this really the problem? Because the other people who did not apply "default,supl" are having speedy fix time too.

Edited by akira de aimbuster

Guest nextonline
Followed your solution to the letter and I can confirm this works. I used root explorer for moving the files.

How did you do it? root explorer keeps saying "file system is read only" when I try to paste the file to /system/etc

Guest aMpeX
How did you do it? root explorer keeps saying "file system is read only" when I try to paste the file to /system/etc

Do you have root?

Did you remount /system/ as read-write (rw) ?

Guest nextonline
Do you have root?

Did you remount /system/ as read-write (rw) ?

Didn't see rw button in the corner, thanks. I created and placed the file to /system/etc/ but that didn't fix the GPS for me. Sent the phone back, waiting on replacement, hopefully not all of them have defective GPS.

Oh and when I ran a test with "test GPS" app O2X could find only one satellite and it wasn't even using it to get a fix on my location. Installed the same app on my Streak and it found 8 satellites almost instantly. :)

Guest nextonline
did you try out the other solutions I suggested in the 1st post?

When I went to check my APN I had nothing in there + you mentioned that you need to use data for that and I don't have a data plan.

Guest pearpear

I found that if I stop the data connection by APNdroid, it will modify the APN name, it seem the mobile cannot use the agps to fix the location, it would take long time to fix it. However, if the data connection is enabled, it can fix the location much faster.

If I go traveling to other countries and I don't have roaming data connection, it may take long time and difficult to fix my location, right?

Guest aMpeX
When I went to check my APN I had nothing in there + you mentioned that you need to use data for that and I don't have a data plan.

It seems so, If I use WiFi the phone needs way more time to lock. Only when I disable WiFi and enable Mobile Data, the fix is instantaneous

I found that if I stop the data connection by APNdroid, it will modify the APN name, it seem the mobile cannot use the agps to fix the location, it would take long time to fix it. However, if the data connection is enabled, it can fix the location much faster.

If I go traveling to other countries and I don't have roaming data connection, it may take long time and difficult to fix my location, right?

See above.

Guest nextonline
It seems so, If I use WiFi the phone needs way more time to lock. Only when I disable WiFi and enable Mobile Data, the fix is instantaneous

See above.

But why do you even need Wifi or Data? My Dell Streak has no issues with locking my location when I have no access to wifi and even if my sim isn't in the phone.

The only reason you would need it is for AGPS to get a faster lock right?

Guest aMpeX

Yes exactly. Of course, the GPS also locks if you have neither WiFi nor Data, but, at least for me, that can take up to 10 minutes, whereas with AGPS, I get instant GPS fixes.

Try this tweaked gps.conf (ntp server is for CZ, please edit for your country..)

amazing file it also makes it work on WiFi. Using the dutch ntp pool and getting a fix inside behind a window within 5 seconds after starting gps status. cannot *believe that the lg amateurs haven't included this in the default rom, what a cockup from their side!

Edited by wapz

Guest vanahaim
amazing file it also makes it work on WiFi. Using the dutch ntp pool and getting a fix inside behind a window within 5 seconds after starting gps status. cannot the lg amateurs not including this in the default rom, what a cockup from their side!

Guest akira de aimbuster

The gps.conf just won't work for me, it became worse by just locked at one satellite. Not sure if it is caused by region? i am living in malaysia.

Guest vanahaim
The gps.conf just won't work for me, it became worse by just locked at one satellite. Not sure if it is caused by region? i am living in malaysia.

Use my.pool.ntp.org as a ntp server..

Guest Elte Hupkes

After updating to Fr12 I actually couldn't get a GPS fix at all, left GPS Status open trying for about 10 minutes without a result. The gps.conf fix didn't seem to work for me (I pushed it, rebooted, tried again although no longer than a few minutes). My APN's already had default,supl set by default. After doing this though, I get a fix within 10 seconds on both 3G and WiFi:

Try this:

Hiden menu (google LG Optimus 2X Hidden Menu) - GPS Test - System settings:

- and in SUPL Settings check Auto provision, in Server Setting LG SUPL

- in C-Plane Settings check Assistance data

- in Misc. Auto Cold Start

It isn´t so good as tweaking gps.conf, but better than nothing :)

So that's great, I'd like to know what I just did though :). Does anyone know?

Guest vanahaim
After updating to Fr12 I actually couldn't get a GPS fix at all, left GPS Status open trying for about 10 minutes without a result. The gps.conf fix didn't seem to work for me (I pushed it, rebooted, tried again although no longer than a few minutes). My APN's already had default,supl set by default. After doing this though, I get a fix within 10 seconds on both 3G and WiFi:

So that's great, I'd like to know what I just did though :). Does anyone know?

So, theoretically, it should (in the order they were written) enable automatic establishing the connection, select a server with assistance data, using data and provide preliminary data on the position with a tolerance (cold start).

BTW if use google supl server in gps.conf, check google server in hidden menu..

Guest Carbonize

LG are terrible for this. My LG GT540 Optimus was terrible for getting a lock and was exactly as you describe here. It wasn't until I installed Cyanogen mod that the GPS starting working correctly.

Guest Rusty!

I just stuck the gps.conf from my old Nexus One in /system/etc

I can get a fix in the dead zone that is my office, the N1 couldn't ever manage that :mellow:

Guest akira de aimbuster
I just stuck the gps.conf from my old Nexus One in /system/etc

I can get a fix in the dead zone that is my office, the N1 couldn't ever manage that :o

can you share it here? :mellow: