Logcat monitoring

Guest JobSup

Guest JobSup

I am trying to get more information about the GPS shut-down problem with the latest cm7 builds. But which tool is able to record the system log (logcat) on the phone without preventing it from sleep? My problem is, that the phone only shuts down (probably due to high battery temperature or wrong sensor data) when it is sleeping after using GPS for a while.

So far I use Battery Monitor Widget to record the battery status. This is running fine and lets the phone sleep. But the logcat recorder prevents the phone from sleeping. Therefore it won't shut down... battery readings are fine.

So if anyone has a method to record the system log in the same way as Battery Monitor Widget is recording the battery status, that would be great.

Thanks

Guest t0mm13b
I am trying to get more information about the GPS shut-down problem with the latest cm7 builds. But which tool is able to record the system log (logcat) on the phone without preventing it from sleep? My problem is, that the phone only shuts down (probably due to high battery temperature or wrong sensor data) when it is sleeping after using GPS for a while.

So far I use Battery Monitor Widget to record the battery status. This is running fine and lets the phone sleep. But the logcat recorder prevents the phone from sleeping. Therefore it won't shut down... battery readings are fine.

So if anyone has a method to record the system log in the same way as Battery Monitor Widget is recording the battery status, that would be great.

Thanks

alogcat? Can get it here - a life saver! :D

Guest JayGB1982

So far I've managed to avoid the GPS reboot by using WiFi only.

Something weird must be happening on the 2G / 3G side? Unless others have reported reboots using WiFi?

Perhaps the data connection does something? The GPS issue usually occurs after 20-25 mins or so of no activity.

Guest kendon

you can also use 'logcat' in a terminal, i.e. 'logcat -f /sdcard/logcat.txt'. keep in mind there are three logcat buffers, i'd create a script like this:

#!/system/bin/sh

/system/bin/logcat -b main -f /sdcard/logcat.main.txt &

/system/bin/logcat -b radio -f /sdcard/logcat.radio.txt &

/system/bin/logcat -b events -f /sdcard/logcat.events.txt

furthermore some kernel messages might be interesting, not exactly sure where to look tho. in case of reboot probably /proc/last_kmsg (after the reboot).