[ISSUE]WiFi connecting... but not accessing internet - UPDATED

Guest ChakMD

Guest ChakMD

Hi everyone,

Just got my Transformer this morning and loving it so far. Had to drive to Oldham Comet as it was the only place that had it in stock around the Manchester area. Screen is crisp, build quality is strong and honeycomb looks delicious :)

BUT... I am having WiFi issues, and I was wondering if anyone can help. (not all that tech savvy, but can get by)

I have managed to get the Eeepad to connect to my Speedtouch modem (Bebox), but I can not view any internet content through the browser on the device, or via youtube app, etc...

I can however access my Router via the Honeycomb browser, so I know the device is actually connected to it, but thats it.

My setup is:-

1. win XP connected via LAN (no problems with internet)

2. Mac connected via WiFi, WPA encrypted (no problems with internet)

If anyone can help me out that would be great. As I said I am not all that tech savvy, but can follow instructions :)

Cheers,

Chak

UPDATE:-

1. Reset Router to factory default - did not work

2. Downloaded ipconfig on to my HTC Hero (which works fine over WiFi) and copied details across to the Asus to created connection with a static IP - did not work

3. Attempted manually changing channels on router - did not work

4. Disabled encryption and connected as open network - did not work

All attempts have the tablet connect to the router but does not allow data transfer from beyond. This is driving me crazy, been attempting to fix the issue all day!

Edited by ChakMD

Hi everyone,

Just got my Transformer this morning and loving it so far. Had to drive to Oldham Comet as it was the only place that had it in stock around the Manchester area. Screen is crisp, build quality is strong and honeycomb looks delicious :)

BUT... I am having WiFi issues, and I was wondering if anyone can help. (not all that tech savvy, but can get by)

I have managed to get the Eeepad to connect to my Speedtouch modem (Bebox), but I can not view any internet content through the browser on the device, or via youtube app, etc...

I can however access my Router via the Honeycomb browser, so I know the device is actually connected to it, but thats it.

My setup is:-

1. win XP connected via LAN (no problems with internet)

2. Mac connected via WiFi, WPA encrypted (no problems with internet)

If anyone can help me out that would be great. As I said I am not all that tech savvy, but can follow instructions :)

Cheers,

Chak

UPDATE:-

1. Reset Router to factory default - did not work

2. Downloaded ipconfig on to my HTC Hero (which works fine over WiFi) and copied details across to the Asus to created connection with a static IP - did not work

3. Attempted manually changing channels on router - did not work

4. Disabled encryption and connected as open network - did not work

All attempts have the tablet connect to the router but does not allow data transfer from beyond. This is driving me crazy, been attempting to fix the issue all day!

How did you find out Oldham had it in stock please?

And for your problem, can you try pinging 8.8.8.8 or putting that as your DNS server on the Transformer wifi IP settings? (It's Google's public DNS server)

Edited by wi11

Guest ChakMD

What I did was on Friday morning rang the Blackburn store on the way home from work. I rang them directly, and quoted the product number 717703 (if I remember correctly). They said they didn't have it in stock, but did a stock check for me of all the nearby stores in the area. The said only Oldham had any in stock (4), so I went straight there and got it.

Regarding the ongoing WiFi issue, I tried setting 8.8.8.8 as my DNS, but that didn't work. I also sideloaded PingPong apk to ping any address I can think off. It is sending the packets but not receiving. Below is the log NetStatus gave me (pingpong just endlessly pings the site, and nothing comes back):-

PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.

From 192.168.1.64 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

From 192.168.1.64 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable

From 192.168.1.64 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ----

3 packets transmitted, 0 received, +3 errors, 100% packet loss, time 2012ms, pipe 3

Do you have access to any other wifi networks you can try on? If you have an Android phone you could set up wifi-tether on that and see if the tablet will connect. Therefore ruling out a problem with the tablet hardware.

The only other thing that springs to mind is if you have MAC address protection enabled on your router and haven't enabled it to allow the tablet to connect. However I would have thought the router default reset would have cleared those.

Guest ChakMD

I still haven't tried another network as currently I do not have access to one. Will have to head out to a Starbucks or something and see if it works.

I did try to tether via my Hero (rooted with 2.1 Villainrom 12 + aNetShare) but it did not pick up the phone over wifi, which I think is an issue with the Hero rather then the tablet. Also I only did a software reset on the device, maybe I should try a hard reset via the box?

Yesterday I updated to the latest firmware on the router and that didn't work either. What I don't understand is I have loads of mobile devices connect (and work) via my router, from friend's iphones, laptops, etc... Just when I get my new toy, it all goes tits up!

Edited by ChakMD

Guest Deus_ex11

Sorry your having so much problems. Here's something you could try, put your router in DMZ de-militarized zone so you can eliminate any hardware problems. If it works then your router is most likely the cause. I think your not getting the dns servers address. We will help you get to the bottom of this. Have you tried resetting your router modem?

Guest ChakMD

Hi, thanks for helping.

Yesterday I tried a software factory reset, via the Router portal, and that didn't work. I just tried a hard modem reset, by holding down the reset key at the back of the device, to no avail.

I am using a Speedtouch 780 with latest firmware. It a 802.11bg modem, that was provided with my connection a good 3 years ago now! Below is my configuration:-

Wireless Access Point - BeBox

Configuration

Interface Enabled: Yes

Physical Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Network Name (SSID): BeBox

Interface Type: 802.11b/g

Actual Speed: 54 Mbps

Channel Selection: Auto

Region: Europe

Channel: 11

Allow multicast from Broadband Network: Yes

WMM: enabled

Security

Broadcast Network Name: Yes

Allow New Devices: New stations are allowed (automatically)

Security Mode: WPA-PSK

WPA-PSK Preshared Key: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

WPA-PSK Encryption: TKIP

WPA-PSK Version: WPA

Firewall - disabled

Parental controls - disabled

UPnP - enabled

I am unfamiliar with DMZ. Do you know how I can got about putting the router into DMZ?

UPDATE:- bit of Googling, and I set up a new Firewall profile on my router with the following rules:-

Rule Definition

Name: AnyTraffic

Enabled: Yes

Source Interface: DMZ

Source Address: Any

User-Defined:

Destination Interface: DMZ

Destination Address: Any

User-Defined:

Service: Any

Action: Accept

I enabled the profile. At that point I could not even browse the net on my LAN connected computer (which I am typing from) and the tablet was still not receiving data. Any specific settings above that I need to change for the firewall?

Edited by ChakMD

Guest ChakMD

So its definitely an issue with the router setting rather then the tablet. Went to Starbucks this afternoon and the wireless worked seamlessly. Sigh... will have to keep perservering

Guest ChakMD

IT WORKS!!! It was the DNS setting that I was keying in wrong when setting up a static IP. Man do I feel like a muppet and a little embarrased :) . Now to get rid of that bloody ASUS keyboard :)

Guest Deus_ex11
IT WORKS!!! It was the DNS setting that I was keying in wrong when setting up a static IP. Man do I feel like a muppet and a little embarrased :) . Now to get rid of that bloody ASUS keyboard :)

Glad you sorted it in the end. I used to have the same problem with network stuff, but now i'm setting up nas boxes and networks for friends. So don't be embarrassed. :)

Guest Benny Boy

Hi there. I got my Transformer yesterday and have just got home; trying to connect to my home network.

I have exactly the same issues as the guy above...it says it's connected to my home network, but I can't actually get out onto the internet. I can browse my NAS drive though...so I'm definitely successfully on the network. It just won't let me out for some reason.

The router is a BeBox SpeedTouch, 5xx series. The router works fine, my Nexus S is connected through it and can browse the web. The Transformer tethers to the Nexus, so it isn't the Transformer, it's something on the router.

I checked DHCP and the addresses match on the router and the Transformer.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Ben

Guest ChakMD

You need to setup the transformer with a Static IP to your router. Make sure the one you set is outside your DHCP range, otherwise it might cause further conflicts. Make sure that the DNS server address is the one that you can find under the TCP/IP settings of your router, and not any connected device.

Finally if it doesnt tell you your network prefix length, then you can work it out from the Subnet Mask of any device connected to the network. The website below should help, mine was 24...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958832.aspx

Good luck.

Edited by ChakMD

Guest Benny Boy

I downloaded DNS setting to the Transformer through tethering to my phone (which works fine). I set it all up, but when I go to the router config page on the router it has allocated the Transformer a different IP to what I specified. I'm pretty sure it is the Be Box screwing around rather than the Transformer... it's never been easy to get on with and the gui is pretty rubbish...

Time to sleep now, but I may need more guidance!

B

Guest ChakMD

You can check the settings have copied over correctly on the transformer by going fo WiFi Setting and long pressing on the BeBox and selecting modify network.

Guest Benny Boy

I'm still not able to make this work. I have tried apps 'DNS' and 'WiFi static' on the Transformer now and for some reason I am still being allocated a DHCP IP addy, not the one that I am selecting in the apps.

It still connects to the router, but not to the outside world and when I long press on the router I am connected to, it shows the DHCP allocated address...

How can I ensure I use a fixed IP address? The Transformer doesn't seem to stay on what I want. I have been on the phone to Be, but they are not sure what is causing the problem...

Ben

Guest ChakMD

Do it manually on the Transformer. Make sure the DNS address you specify is the one from the router TCP/IP settings. Don't use any apps as the DNS address they use might not be the correct one

Guest Benny Boy
Do it manually on the Transformer. Make sure the DNS address you specify is the one from the router TCP/IP settings. Don't use any apps as the DNS address they use might not be the correct one

I think there must be a menu I'm not going to somewhere! I can't see anywhere to manually set the IP. When I go to 'advanced settings' it just gives me the mac address and IP address, but both are greyed out and long press dos nothing.... must be a doofus but can't quite see where!

B

Guest ChakMD

Forget your BeBox. Reconnect, hide the keyboard and you should see DHCP below Username and password. Select Static and you see the extra settings below it

Guest Benny Boy

Ah ha! That option was hidden by the keyboard as you predicted... And now it works. Failed at first, but set the field you mentioned to 24 too, and that worked.

Finally! :-)

Many thanks indeed.

B

Guest DaveBhoy

Dont have my Transformer yet (preordered the bundle from Amazon, so still got a bit to wait) but got a question about this - is there an issue using the tablet with DHCP addresses ? Any reason I'd need to set a static ? My other devices (PS3, laptop, ipod touch, printer, etc) all work quite happily using DHCP, and I'd hoped the tablet would be the same...

Dave.

PS - Be gentle - first post on here !! :)

Guest ChakMD
Finally! :-)

I am glad you got it working, I know how frustrating it was getting it to work. But it was worth in the end.

Dont have my Transformer yet (preordered the bundle from Amazon, so still got a bit to wait) but got a question about this - is there an issue using the tablet with DHCP addresses ? Any reason I'd need to set a static ? My other devices (PS3, laptop, ipod touch, printer, etc) all work quite happily using DHCP, and I'd hoped the tablet would be the same...

Dave.

PS - Be gentle - first post on here !! :)

Welcome aboard. I am not sure if this is a common issue or not. Myself and Benny both had routers provided from Be, so it could be due to something with the routers they supply. But even if you do have issues you know where to come to find the answer :)

Guest Benny Boy

Personally not sure yet as only tethered to the phone (worked) and been at home (didn't work)...but given very few people have posted on here with problems I imagine there is not much need for static IPs. Could just be with some routers I guess...

I will post again after I've used it a bit more and let you know.

B

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Benny Boy

As promised, an update.

I have successfully connected to numerous routers, public and private without any problems, so it would seem that the problem chakmd and I had was to do with the be router, not the Transformer.

Next up is to figure out how to play HD video without jumpiness!

Still loving it though...

• 9 months later...
Guest mikriii

Greetings everyone,

I'm new to wi-fi and android stuff, so please if someone can help me with my problem. I got same thing going on like the first guy in this topic,

connected to wi-fi but no internet, and I've read your answers and I see that the problem is solved, but I don't know how to do it correctly. I mean those DNS and IP stuff.

I'm using Belkin wireless G router ver 7004yy, and the phone is HTC Sensation

Please help me this is so frustrating :unsure: