No sound (except during calls)

Guest insitu

Guest insitu

Hi,

Wondering if someones can help me out with this one... i'm not sure how long its been like this, but my phone no longer plays any sounds through its speaker, except during phone calls. by that i mean it doesn't play the sound of ringtones, music, youtube (video works) and anything else i throw at it, but during phonecalls it voices come through clear as day.

it must of been like this for a couple of weeks really (running Japanese Jellyfish), but i just never really noticed because i'd pick up calls when it vibrated (just thinking the rington must of been set low).

so far, i've tried clearing cache and factory reset in clockworkmod, flashing to Swedish Spring and flashing to CM7, but none cure the problem.

My overall feeling is that due to the other roms not working, it must be hardware, but the fact the voice calls work fine is throwing me...

Any help or suggestions much appreciated,

insitu.

Guest Ron=)
Hi,

Wondering if someones can help me out with this one... i'm not sure how long its been like this, but my phone no longer plays any sounds through its speaker, except during phone calls. by that i mean it doesn't play the sound of ringtones, music, youtube (video works) and anything else i throw at it, but during phonecalls it voices come through clear as day.

it must of been like this for a couple of weeks really (running Japanese Jellyfish), but i just never really noticed because i'd pick up calls when it vibrated (just thinking the rington must of been set low).

so far, i've tried clearing cache and factory reset in clockworkmod, flashing to Swedish Spring and flashing to CM7, but none cure the problem.

My overall feeling is that due to the other roms not working, it must be hardware, but the fact the voice calls work fine is throwing me...

insitu.

Not trying to troll here but is the phone on silent?

Settings --> Sound --> (Uncheck Silent Mode) --> Volume --> Ensure everything is full

Also when you say that the speaker works during phone calls are you refering to the ear piece working or the loud speaker on the side?

Edited by Ron=)

Guest insitu
Not trying to troll here but is the phone on silent?

Settings --> Sound --> (Uncheck Silent Mode) --> Volume --> Ensure everything is full

Also when you say that the speaker works during phone calls are you refering to the ear piece working or the loud speaker on the side?

no, silent is not on :) .

and yes i mean the ear piece works during calls. from the way you word that i'm guessing my assumption that all sound came from the same place is wrong. i'll have to try put a call to speaker phone and seeing if that works (i just, wrongly, assumed that the speaker just output voice calls at a lower volume)...

on a side note, because i transferred the phone from orange to another network (tesco) they can't arrange a warranty replacement over the phone which is rediculous, so i have to go to a shop which is annoying, as i dont think theres one near me...

Edited by insitu

Guest Mushroom_Lord

I take it you tried to push all the volume to full and silent isn't on. Just try the music app and tap volume up a lot. What rom's have you had this issue on?

Guest Mushroom_Lord

I take it you tried to push all the volume to full and silent isn't on. Just try the music app and tap volume up a lot. What rom's have you had this issue on?

Guest insitu

tried it all already, and as per first post the issue is replicated in japanese jellyfish, swedish spring and CM7... and now also n the stock orange rom which i restored to. seems very much a hardware issue.

i'll have to get a warranty replacement.

i've returned everything to stock, but does anyone know how to remove clockworkmod?

Guest Mushroom_Lord

Flashing one of theose ROMS removes clockworkmod in the script (can't say I remember which)

and yeah, of course.

The speaker for calls is separate to the one for calls...

Guest Ron=)
tried it all already, and as per first post the issue is replicated in japanese jellyfish, swedish spring and CM7... and now also n the stock orange rom which i restored to. seems very much a hardware issue.

i'll have to get a warranty replacement.

i've returned everything to stock, but does anyone know how to remove clockworkmod?

Go for the warrenty route! Who knows.. you might get an OLED model!

I reccomend that you use the TPT image from the link below to revert your phone back to stock. I belive it includes the stock recovery!

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-2011-oled-tft/

Alternatively you can flash the stock recovery image (somewhere on this fourm)

Guest insitu
Go for the warrenty route! Who knows.. you might get an OLED model!

I reccomend that you use the TPT image from the link below to revert your phone back to stock. I belive it includes the stock recovery!

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-2011-oled-tft/

Alternatively you can flash the stock recovery image (somewhere on this fourm)

the one i have is an OLED model!!! im afraid i'll get a tft one!

regardless, i think the replacement will get sold on, as i just bought a nexus s. sorry san fran, but i lost my faith in you.

Guest Swimmerboy
The speaker for calls is separate to the one for calls...

That's where the problem lies (although I think he means "The speaker for calls is separate to the one for everything else..."

I had this issue with mine (OLED model) and I didn't want to return it for a TFT replacement. I think there may be a slightly loose contact that came 'unstuck' inside the phone. What I did to fix it each time (after flashing a number of different ROMs to no avail!) was as follows:

1. Turn volume up to full in settings.
  2. Open music player and put on an MP3 to play.
  3. Squeeze the phone (especially around the bottom right where the 'back' button is) between your thumbs on front, and fingers on the back.
  4. Keep squeezing until the music starts.
Hardly a foolproof method, but worked for me within a couple of seconds and hasn't dropped a beat since! Might be worth a shot before sending it off for replacement? Edited by Swimmerboy

Guest insitu
That's where the problem lies (although I think he means "The speaker for calls is separate to the one for everything else..."

I had this issue with mine (OLED model) and I didn't want to return it for a TFT replacement. I think there may be a slightly loose contact that came 'unstuck' inside the phone. What I did to fix it each time (after flashing a number of different ROMs to no avail!) was as follows:

1. Turn volume up to full in settings.
  2. Open music player and put on an MP3 to play.
  3. Squeeze the phone (especially around the bottom right where the 'back' button is) between your thumbs on front, and fingers on the back.
  4. Keep squeezing until the music starts.
Hardly a foolproof method, but worked for me within a couple of seconds and hasn't dropped a beat since! Might be worth a shot before sending it off for replacement?

i did try that method to no avail. i got the idea from what a tv repair guy told me ages ago. apparently to help diagnose the fault of tv's, switch it on and bend/flex the front as much as possible to see if its just a bad connection.. i'll keep trying it though before i get chance to replace it.

Guest Mushroom_Lord

Exactly That - trust me to type properly...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nitsy01
Hi,

insitu.

Hi Insitu,

i too have the same problem no sound is being played no matter what i tried...i got the phone from UK and unfortunately cant return it!! did you manage to get a solution to your issue...

regards,

nitsy

• 1 month later...
Guest jonbe

I have the same problem :|

Gonna try to change current CM7 N60 to a newer one to see if it make any difference.

But seems like a hardware problem to me but let's see...

Guest jonbe

Actually... seems like a cold solder joint (or bad connection).

I banged (corner where the loudspeaker is located) my phone few times against table.

Now it works just fine :)

• 3 months later...
Guest deadonthestairs

I'm having this exact same problem. I'll give the 'banging it on a desk' method a try later. If that doesn't work, would it be possible to transfer the speaker from my old blade (that has a shattered screen) to my new one? Or is that something better left to a phone repair expert?

It is not the speaker. Ist i a other item. Mom i search a blade photo and start my netbook

So..

seems like a cold solder joint

thats the point. in picture you a item with 2 very thin cables and 2 solder joint. This is the badboy of horrible sound, mic etc. All what has to do with sound, it comes to this item. It is not only a mic ;) it can do much more..noise, denoise, headphone, speaker...all come to this.

ztebladetakenapart.jpg

Edited by WAWA72

Guest deadonthestairs

So..

thats the point. in picture you a item with 2 very thin cables and 2 solder joint. This is the badboy of horrible sound, mic etc. All what has to do with sound, it comes to this item. It is not only a mic ;) it can do much more..noise, denoise, headphone, speaker...all come to this.

ztebladetakenapart.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

So is it likely that this could be causing the problem if the loudspeaker is the only thing that's not working? My mic is working fine, as is the earpiece, and sound works fine when headphones are plugged in?

Is it worth trying to transplant the speaker from my old Blade?

• 2 years later...
Guest fronterm

So..

thats the point. in picture you a item with 2 very thin cables and 2 solder joint. This is the badboy of horrible sound, mic etc. All what has to do with sound, it comes to this item. It is not only a mic wink.gif it can do much more..noise, denoise, headphone, speaker...all come to this.

ztebladetakenapart.jpg

Is there any way that you can repost the picture that is mentioned above?