Gen1 to Gen2 questions

Guest Tobriand

Guest Tobriand

Hi everyone!

I'm a happy user of a Gen1 Blade (well, OSF...), but I've read that CM7 is going to be going Gen2 only - and consequently, I'm considering the upgrade process. However, before I do, I have a whole host of questions that I would really like to have answered - questions I imagine I am not alone in having. So without further a do:

1. Will my IMEI number change as a result of the upgrade? Is there any way to change it back?
  2. Related to the above, does a phone with a different imei to that registered on the Orange network (UK) when you buy the phone work automatically, or does it need to be re-registered? If so, how does one do this?
  3. Is the current CM7 (Stable) in a state to work out of the box on Gen2 phones, or is the transition a planned one? If not, have there been any kernel changes since the last nightly that necessitate a different flash to that provided by Kalt_Kaffe a few days ago?
  4. I believe I saw some mention of Gen2 phones having 256 MB ram (presumably locked as some Blades were initially). Does the update, then, set the ram available to 256 MB? Is there any way to avoid this if this is the case?
  5. Given that TPT methods no longer work, are there any working partition mods for Gen2 phones? (Here I suspect the answer is yes, but I want to check, since the space gained from the original 128mb partition for JJ8 has been invaluable)
  6. Aside from improved reception and enabling of HSUPA, and the incompatibility with Gen1 roms, are there any critical differences I need to know about before taking the upgrade plunge between Gen1 and Gen2 phones?

Thanks anyone who can help me on these. I'll try and update the first post once they're answered since I imagin this kind of question is going through a number of heads at the moment - and will need answering a number of times in the near future!

Guest ThrashMan

Good post, it would be useful to gather together all the genuine data about Gen1 & Gen2 and why people think CM7 is leaving Gen1 behind.

Is "upgrading" to Gen2 something that can be done to a Gen1 phone?

If so is it reversable?

If someone out there understands (not "I read somewhere") and can explain what it all means along with relevant links that would be gr8.

Guest targetbsp
Good post, it would be useful to gather together all the genuine data about Gen1 & Gen2 and why people think CM7 is leaving Gen1 behind.

If so is it reversable?

If someone out there understands (not "I read somewhere") and can explain what it all means along with relevant links that would be gr8.

Ermm... upgrading gen1 to gen2 is surely what this is all about? :) It's the sticky here: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...2-windows-only/

It's not currently reversible.

We think Cm7 is leaving behind Gen1 because Jacob says it is. And he should know... :) http://twitter.com/#!/HCDRJacob/status/56430802669535232

@Tobriand

1) your imei is fine in the upgrade. I think people that have tried to downgrade had imei troubles

2) irrelevent because of 1. Changing your imei number is illegal anyway so you'd have trouble explaining it to orange if it did need re-registered.

3) cm7 release is gen1 though it can be made to run on gen2 like so: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...n-a-gen2-phone/ . later versions will be gen2 - see jacobs twitter link above

4) i don't think they were gen2 ones? they were some euro gen 1's weren't they?

5) there are some scattered through the gen1 to gen2 upgrade thread

6) post 1 of the gen 1 to gen2 upgrade thread

Edited by targetbsp

Guest hecatae

If so is it reversable?

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...2-windows-only/

Hi everyone!

I'm a happy user of a Gen1 Blade (well, OSF...), but I've read that CM7 is going to be going Gen2 only - and consequently, I'm considering the upgrade process. However, before I do, I have a whole host of questions that I would really like to have answered - questions I imagine I am not alone in having. So without further a do:

1. Will my IMEI number change as a result of the upgrade? Is there any way to change it back?
  2. Related to the above, does a phone with a different imei to that registered on the Orange network (UK) when you buy the phone work automatically, or does it need to be re-registered? If so, how does one do this?
  3. Is the current CM7 (Stable) in a state to work out of the box on Gen2 phones, or is the transition a planned one? If not, have there been any kernel changes since the last nightly that necessitate a different flash to that provided by Kalt_Kaffe a few days ago?
  4. I believe I saw some mention of Gen2 phones having 256 MB ram (presumably locked as some Blades were initially). Does the update, then, set the ram available to 256 MB? Is there any way to avoid this if this is the case?
  5. Given that TPT methods no longer work, are there any working partition mods for Gen2 phones? (Here I suspect the answer is yes, but I want to check, since the space gained from the original 128mb partition for JJ8 has been invaluable)
  6. Aside from improved reception and enabling of HSUPA, and the incompatibility with Gen1 roms, are there any critical differences I need to know about before taking the upgrade plunge between Gen1 and Gen2 phones?
Thanks anyone who can help me on these. I'll try and update the first post once they're answered since I imagin this kind of question is going through a number of heads at the moment - and will need answering a number of times in the near future!

1. it shouldnt change your imei as it's an official flasher from zte, keep your channel1.nvm safe just in case

2. see above

3. waiting for confirmations from the CM7 devs, kallt_kaffe has been offering alternative temporary work arounds.

4. the flasher chosen keeps the 512mb ram, it may unlock the 256mb ram in the gen2 blades that only have 256mb ram available but no one has confirmed.

5. check the thread linked above, kallt_kaffe has provided standard and 128mb partion layout options

6. there is no way to downgrade safely, and there is little reason too, the gen2 upgrade updates all the hardware firmware that android cannot.

Guest ThrashMan

Great replies guys, thanks.

Is there a definitive list of ROMs that can be used on Gen2 phones? My assumption is it's the "older" ROMs that can't MDC, FBL etc?

Guest hecatae
Great replies guys, thanks.

Is there a definitive list of ROMs that can be used on Gen2 phones? My assumption is it's the "older" ROMs that can't MDC, FBL etc?

roms available at present:

SS RLS4

any 2.2 stock rom

CM7 with kallt_kaffe's work around

roms that wont work:

MDC

FLB

JJ

any 2.1 custom or stock rom

Guest Tobriand

@Spies:

At least according to the upgrade sticky,

• HUSPA instead of HDSPA for high speed mobile broadband. That means more or less twice the transfer over networks that support it
  • Better reception
  • 850MHz GSM and 3G modes opened up for providers using these bandwidths

In addition, the ability to keep on using CM7 once they start moving toward 7.1 is also a pretty good reason, along with the fact that the GPS bug no longer exists in it.

EDIT: Hate BBccode...

Edited by Tobriand

Guest unrandomsam
@Spies:

At least according to the upgrade sticky,

• HUSPA instead of HDSPA for high speed mobile broadband. That means more or less twice the transfer over networks that support it
  • Better reception
  • 850MHz GSM and 3G modes opened up for providers using these bandwidths

In addition, the ability to keep on using CM7 once they start moving toward 7.1 is also a pretty good reason, along with the fact that the GPS bug no longer exists in it.

EDIT: Hate BBccode...

HUSPA gives you twice the upload (hence the U)

The GPS bug is fixed in CM7 (afaik I am on gen2 so I cannot check) so thats no longer a reason.

Guest scoula
roms available at present:

SS RLS4

any 2.2 stock rom

CM7 with kallt_kaffe's work around

roms that wont work:

MDC

FLB

JJ

any 2.1 custom or stock rom

So if your blade goes faulty you won't be able to load a stock ROM and return it? :)

Guest admanirv

So once i do this upgrade to GEN2 I can simply install todays CM7 final as i have done so before (same method)?

I'm confused to this partition thing, i have an ext3 partition on my memory card to store all apps to that, do i keep this and what partition size do i go for?

Thanks

Guest Schwinni
So once i do this upgrade to GEN2 I can simply install todays CM7 final as i have done so before (same method)?

No, not yet. But kallt_kaffe has something for you:

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...n-a-gen2-phone/

I'm confused to this partition thing, i have an ext3 partition on my memory card to store all apps to that, do i keep this and what partition size do i go for?

Besides the one(s) on your SD card, there are several partitions on your phone. The "128MB partition layout" means that the /system partition is 128MB big.

Guest admanirv

In the steps i dont understand this step...

1. Install stock recovery (if you are currently running clockwork) with the included recovery restorer.

How do i do that, i cant see options in CW?. Does it mean recover to an earlier backup?

Thanks

Edited by admanirv