Is it just my Vega that sucks?

Guest thehowler

Guest thehowler

So...

I've had the Advent Vega since December 2010. I spend a lot of time using technology and am comfortable with the concepts of ROMs / flashing / updating and the like.

For me, my (the?) Vega has 2 big problems which make it very frustrating to use. Both of these problems have been discussed before with no satisfactory answers available.

1) Every so often, my WiFi connection disappears. The only solution is to reboot my LinkSys WAG54G2 wireless router. I have 4 other Android-based devices in the home, alongside the usual PCs - none of which suffer from this problem. This leads me to believe that there is some problem with the Vega's WiFi driver implementation.

2) When the Vega is being charged, the touchscreen is next to unusable due to repeated keysttrokkes (see what happened there!).

For me, these 2 issues render the device "unreliable". In my house, unreliable means that any member of the house can experience these 2 and have to bug me for support.

Does anyone else out there have any *real* solutions to these problems? I would happily accept "Advent have rectified the problem, you just don't know about it".

Edited by thehowler

Guest oldmester

Not really had any Wifi problems other than limited range. The charging/touchscreen issue I've learned to live with.

The only real issues I have with the Vega are the viewing angles (knew this before I got it and for the price I can live with it). My real gripe is sound quality. As well as the usual half volume issues throught the speakers, listening through headphone is only just possible.

I have to have the volume set at min' or it's just too loud. Also listening to music is a no-no due to very high white noise levels.

Guest mintvilla
Not really had any Wifi problems other than limited range. The charging/touchscreen issue I've learned to live with.

The only real issues I have with the Vega are the viewing angles (knew this before I got it and for the price I can live with it). My real gripe is sound quality. As well as the usual half volume issues throught the speakers, listening through headphone is only just possible.

I have to have the volume set at min' or it's just too loud. Also listening to music is a no-no due to very high white noise levels.

what roms have you had on this?

try the cm7 rom at xda - might solve your problems,

also have you tried swype as a keyboard? might solve you typing problems too.

my only problems is with the viewing angles, and screen res, but i knew both of these before going in, as i paid 199, and for that price i dont think i can argue, i can still browse the full web with adobe flash, with its tegra 2 processor and watch any videos i bash on it, and every format, for when am flying on planes. For the price i think its the best value for money. I dont think if i paid an extra 270 for the xoom i could do anything more than what i can do now.

Somthing to consider, i think the advent vega was flukely built for honeycomb with it not having any buttons like most froyo running tablets, google will release the source code for honeycomb, and theres already enough talented enough devs who have said they would build a rom from honeycomb, to have a honeycomb tablet for this price with tegra 2 powering it, i think is a bargain, and it shouldnt be that long either, googles i/o is only round the corner next month, where they will release honeycomb for phones, as they will bash the tablet and phone versions into one version, that acts a certain way on a tablet, and acts a different way on a phone, and only honeycomb has full support for dual core, so our tablets should get a whole heap faster (apps can be optimised for dual cores but not general os)

Guest simonta
So...

I've had the Advent Vega since December 2010. I spend a lot of time using technology and am comfortable with the concepts of ROMs / flashing / updating and the like.

For me, my (the?) Vega has 2 big problems which make it very frustrating to use. Both of these problems have been discussed before with no satisfactory answers available.

1) Every so often, my WiFi connection disappears. The only solution is to reboot my LinkSys WAG54G2 wireless router. I have 4 other Android-based devices in the home, alongside the usual PCs - none of which suffer from this problem. This leads me to believe that there is some problem with the Vega's WiFi driver implementation.

2) When the Vega is being charged, the touchscreen is next to unusable due to repeated keysttrokkes (see what happened there!).

For me, these 2 issues render the device "unreliable". In my house, unreliable means that any member of the house can experience these 2 and have to bug me for support.

Does anyone else out there have any *real* solutions to these problems? I would happily accept "Advent have rectified the problem, you just don't know about it".

I have the same router and had the same problems with Wifi until I:

1. Used Wifi analyser (or any of a number of apps on PC or Vega) to find a clean channel. Signal to noise ratio is much more important than signal strength, especially when close to the range of the router. Change the router to use that channel. Wifi analyser will not show you interference from cordless phones, baby monitors etc so you might need to try 2 or 3 channels.

2. Use Wifi Buddy on the Vega in advanced settings to change the regulatory domain to 14 channels. By default, it's set to 11 for the US.

3. Use Wifi static on the Vega and assign a static IP to the Vega.

For the touch screen issue, hit and miss. I've never had the problem with the charger that many others have experienced but did get it on or off charge. Running screen calibration has always sorted it. Investing in a higher quality charger has solved it for many who have experienced problems when charging suggesting, quite rationally, that the Vega screen is susceptible to EMF interference.

Good luck

Guest thehowler

Been through all of that caper, chief. Doesn't make any difference, I'm afraid. Also tried cyanogen 7 and it still sucks

I have the same router and had the same problems with Wifi until I:

1. Used Wifi analyser (or any of a number of apps on PC or Vega) to find a clean channel. Signal to noise ratio is much more important than signal strength, especially when close to the range of the router. Change the router to use that channel. Wifi analyser will not show you interference from cordless phones, baby monitors etc so you might need to try 2 or 3 channels.

2. Use Wifi Buddy on the Vega in advanced settings to change the regulatory domain to 14 channels. By default, it's set to 11 for the US.

3. Use Wifi static on the Vega and assign a static IP to the Vega.

For the touch screen issue, hit and miss. I've never had the problem with the charger that many others have experienced but did get it on or off charge. Running screen calibration has always sorted it. Investing in a higher quality charger has solved it for many who have experienced problems when charging suggesting, quite rationally, that the Vega screen is susceptible to EMF interference.

Good luck

Guest trevor432990

If you do a Google with the string "linksys wag54g2 disconnects" there seem to be rather a lot of people affected so I don't think your Wi-fi problem is down to the Vega and I certainly have 'never' had to reboot my router because of a Vega issue alone. How frequently does this issue occur?

The alternate power supply seems to be the answer to the touchscreen sensitivity and I believe more recent Vega purchasers may not have this problem. Agreed it would be nice if DSG acknowledged the issue and offered us a replacement PSU :)

Guest thehowler

Most of those articles are about DSL disconnections, not wireless disconnections...

I would say that the problem occurs about once every 5-10 standby/reboots of the Vega

If you do a Google with the string "linksys wag54g2 disconnects" there seem to be rather a lot of people affected so I don't think your Wi-fi problem is down to the Vega and I certainly have 'never' had to reboot my router because of a Vega issue alone. How frequently does this issue occur?

The alternate power supply seems to be the answer to the touchscreen sensitivity and I believe more recent Vega purchasers may not have this problem. Agreed it would be nice if DSG acknowledged the issue and offered us a replacement PSU :)

Edited by thehowler

Guest mxbob
Most of those articles are about DSL disconnections, not wireless disconnections...

I would say that the problem occurs about once every 5-10 standby/reboots of the Vega

i also have the same issue with my vega disconnecting from wireless and refusing to reconnecting until i reset the router

my router is a siemens one (i forget the model number)

id say mine doesnt do it as often as every 5-10 times i switch it on but it tends to happen every 5-6 days or so

like you i have various other devices connected to the same router which dont have any issues

Guest premieral

i have had the vega only since february and have been very fortunate in that it has none of the issues mentioned by earlier users of the machine so it would suggest that some improvements were made from initial release

Guest Mogedwards

I have same router and have never had a wireless problem with the Vega. I do have problems with my laptop though and I have no idea why.

Guest worto03
i have had the vega only since february and have been very fortunate in that it has none of the issues mentioned by earlier users of the machine so it would suggest that some improvements were made from initial release

I got mine in the 2nd batch at the end of Nov last year or might have been start of dec I can't remember but the double key stroke thing is only an issue when powered on and as trevor said above seems to be sorted by a replacement power supply - I just charge mine up overnight every night so never have to use it while it's plugged in.

As for the wi-fi issue it does seem that the card in the vega isn't very good? with my old router I always got a (according to the laptop anyway) full signal connection on the laptop while the vega sat next to it never got a full signal unless I was standing next to the router, it was so bad on the vega that it would often disconnect in the lounge (the router is in the dining room next door) while the laptop would work fine sat next to it, a cleaner channel seemed to make a small difference but not enough to make it useable.

I've since replaced the router for a much better one and the vega now has no problems at all so it seems to be from my very unscientific findings that on an old or cheap router the vega will struggle while other devices may work fine.

Guest Mogedwards
I got mine in the 2nd batch at the end of Nov last year or might have been start of dec I can't remember but the double key stroke thing is only an issue when powered on and as trevor said above seems to be sorted by a replacement power supply - I just charge mine up overnight every night so never have to use it while it's plugged in.

As for the wi-fi issue it does seem that the card in the vega isn't very good? with my old router I always got a (according to the laptop anyway) full signal connection on the laptop while the vega sat next to it never got a full signal unless I was standing next to the router, it was so bad on the vega that it would often disconnect in the lounge (the router is in the dining room next door) while the laptop would work fine sat next to it, a cleaner channel seemed to make a small difference but not enough to make it useable.

I've since replaced the router for a much better one and the vega now has no problems at all so it seems to be from my very unscientific findings that on an old or cheap router the vega will struggle while other devices may work fine.

Except in my case, the Vega works perfectly with the router but my laptop has problems, so at least for me, the Vega is better than my Toshiba laptop. In fact I would go as far as saying, the Vega gives me no WiFi problems anywhere I use it.

Guest thehowler
So...

So I've just tried another wireless router. Same problem. Can only conclude that my vega sucks.

Guest Frazer

i've had my Vega for about 8 weeks and i'm loving it! No power problems when charging, yes viewing angle not great but let be honest, how much did we spend? Go buy a Xoom if you want better but it wont as value for money as the Vega.

Guest thehowler
i've had my Vega for about 8 weeks and i'm loving it! No power problems when charging, yes viewing angle not great but let be honest, how much did we spend? Go buy a Xoom if you want better but it wont as value for money as the Vega.

So the fact that it's cheaper than an iPad or Xoom means I should accept that it its unreliable? It's OK for it to fail?

Guest Minimonkey

Did you try a different brand of router? As I've had my Vega connected to lots of wireless routers and access points without a problem.

Guest mintvilla
So the fact that it's cheaper than an iPad or Xoom means I should accept that it its unreliable? It's OK for it to fail?

you could argue that its your router that is the fail?

i know your gunner say, oh but ive tried many different devices on my router and they work without a hitch

but at the same time, many people have tried their vega's on many different routers.... without a hitch.

edit - sorry, didnt see that you tried it with a different router...... my bad should of read all the post's - hmmm might be your vega then... ive tried mine on 4 different routers and the wifi works fine

Edited by mintvilla

Guest marky444

Never had a wifi issue with my vega but did have the touchscreen problem, it was almost unusable and I didn't like using it for typing at all, in fact I almost stopped using it altogether. After a chat with my local pcworld mega store thry said to bring it in and they would swap it, best thing I ever did, all works great now and a joy to use. :)

Guest trevor432990
So I've just tried another wireless router. Same problem. Can only conclude that my vega sucks.

Might be worth you listing your router/Vega wi-fi settings so that other people with the same router as you can compare it with theirs and let you know if there are any glaring differences? :)

Did you try setting up a static IP address for the Vega on the router itself (rather than just the Vega)?

Edited by trevor432990

Guest jinkyjim

Never had any problems with wifi at all,

had my Vega for a couple of weeks and tried most of the roms and they all connected.

Like everyone the viewing angles are the only thing on the Vega i dont like.

Jim.

Edited by jinkyjim

Guest thehowler
Might be worth you listing your router/Vega wi-fi settings so that other people with the same router as you can compare it with theirs and let you know if there are any glaring differences? :)

Did you try setting up a static IP address for the Vega on the router itself (rather than just the Vega)?

Might just do that this evening ;-)

Guest thehowler
So...

PC World have agreed to take it back for investigation/repair/replacement. I'll keep you in the loop

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thehowler
PC World have agreed to take it back for investigation/repair/replacement. I'll keep you in the loop

So, the people at PcWorld/TechGuys/WhoeverTheHellTheyAre contacted me and told me that my Vega has been repaired and will be returned to me. Upon inquiring about the fault, I was told that it had, in fact, *not* been repaired as "one of our top guys says it is fine".

After reminding them that I am not retarded when it comes to the world of I.T. and particularly networking, I was told that the only way I can progress this is to raise an official complaint as under no circumstances am I entitled to an exchange/refund.

So, I get it back in 10 days (!!!!) and will have to start writing letters. In the meantime, I am going to procure a 3rd router and try that to see what I can find.

Tech Guys? Tech-Clowns, more like...

Guest warriorscot

That's a new one they usually just replace them. Mind you I have the feeling peoplenhave been abusing the privelage. The charging issue is a recognised fault although a different charger can make a big difference. Isnthe wireless an issue on every rom.

If the touchscreen is a big issue follow up on it perhaps make a video as evidence of it happening.

Guest chockimon

I have had none of the problems you speak of. Maybe there's something wrong with your tablet. It's a good tablet for the price and personally I would never pay more. The only downsides are the poor viewing angles and volume level which I can live with.

Edited by chockimon