stuck with orange rom - upgrade help sought

Guest hugo.router

Guest hugo.router

Hi everyone. Please help/advise.

I love my zte blade, but hate the orange factory rom. I've been reading and planning my route to a happier blade vi MoCaDo and have recently started the processes neatly described here on this site to install a ROM or two. But i've been having problems and have to now ask for your help.

I have unlocked the phone to use with my SIM and established that I have a gen1 TFT model via Mr Pigfish. All very good. Following this I have followed Steven.H's "How to Install a Custom ROM on the ZTE Blade" post. It is here that I have come into problems.

I have rooted the phone using UniversalAndroot v1.6.1 and installed the ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager 0.34b. However, can't get clockwork to install (either v3.0.1.4 or v3.0.2.4) from the Recovery Manager.

I experimented with the recovery installed on the phone but a reboot with vol down set the phone to fastboot mode, as does the vol up on reboot. Thus I tried a fastboot install of clockwork which seemed to work, but I still can't get the phone to boot to a recovery [power on vol down] and similarly recovery manager will not boot to a recovery partition.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I need to wipe the phone [factory reset] first, and what is the best way of doing this? I'm assuming that the Total Phone Transfer will work, but I'm a bit reluctant to do this as I need the phone to be operable.

Thanks

H

Guest Swimmerboy

I normally flash new recovery partitions using the terminal emulator on the phone, or through ADB connected to a computer. You might want to try it this way if you're having trouble with fastboot.

To do this:

1. Download the recovery image to PC
  2. Save it on the sdcard as 'Recovery.img'
  3. Open terminal emulator/adb and type: "su" (enter) followed by "flash_image recovery /sdcard/Recovery.img"
  4. Now type "reboot recovery" to reboot into the new recovery partition

Guest hugobosslives
I normally flash new recovery partitions using the terminal emulator on the phone, or through ADB connected to a computer. You might want to try it this way if you're having trouble with fastboot.

To do this:

1. Download the recovery image to PC
  2. Save it on the sdcard as 'Recovery.img'
  3. Open terminal emulator/adb and type: "su" (enter) followed by "flash_image recovery /sdcard/Recovery.img"
  4. Now type "reboot recovery" to reboot into the new recovery partition

+1

This is how I normally do it. NB: make sure it's rooted when you type "su".

Guest hugo.router

Hi Guys,

Thank you all very much for helping out. While to most a simple problem, it has been bugging me for days. Your suggested route worked a treat, and I'm now happily running JJ9.

Thanks Again

H