Dell Streak (1.9.0) Problems

Guest catsfive

Guest catsfive

Hey everyone,

Longtime lurker.... been looking endlessly for solutions to this problem but no luck. I am having basically two "major" problems with my Streak (1.9.0):

1) Sometimes I'll pull it up to use it and the 3G is gone. It still thinks it's on wireless maybe, as it displays the wireless icon in the top bar. Nothing I do can make it come back. I try to turn WiFi on/off, and turn on Airplane Mode (which freezes it). I have to pull the battery and reboot it.

2) Sometimes the streak will be completely dead for no reason. NOTHING I do seems to wake it up. Try to take it up every way I can, no luck. Can't even turn it off using the power button or whatever. Again, pulling the battery boots it up.

Is there a way to TOTALLY reformat the Streak and start over, maybe re-flash it somehow? Would that help?

I have the updated ASMS.bin (whatever it's called!) and the other flash update that makes the camera work in 720p. The Streak is awesome otherwise.

Oh, maybe my CONFIG file will help:

density160

volboost

bios

tabletphone

perfmod

novolnoppt

zeam

THANKS YOU GENIUSES. Android crashes and screws up sometimes and to me, that's half the fun. Cheers.

C5

Edited by catsfive

Guest User Error
volboost

novolnoppt

first of all these are 2 versions of the (nearly)same kernel. choose one. also there are some stability issues with perfmod, altho i fixed mine by getting another streak, try without perfmod and see how it works... a factory reset and clean flash of 1.9.0 might also be in order.

Edited by User Error

Guest coronet
I also have an issue where a loose backplate causes the phone to power off or reset.

This issue has been elimated in Steve's build for some time... this is not the issue.

Guest somebody9

I have more problems, but similar :

1. My Streak (which is my 2nd Streak and is brand new) randomly becomes unresponsive and lags ridiculously even though I have no apps installed. Sometimes this disappears on its own, at other times I have to remove the battery and restart.

2. The Lockscreen. THE LOCKSCREEN. It's driving me nuts. About 5 times a day, and I'm not exaggerating, at least 5 times a day the lockscreen slider becomes unresponsive. Turning the screen of and then on again and trying to slide the button across works sometimes ( usually 3 on-off button presses ). Sometimes it's futile. When it does unlock the phone is completely normal.

Using:

adwlauncher

bios

volboost

Also tried:

adwlauncher

bios

volboostnoppt

Troubleshooting:

I installed 1.9.0 after using QDL. So it was quite literally a fresh install. Despite this I have tried Factory Resetting and the problems do not go away.

Can we please have a nice working build like 1.6.1? :)

Despite the complaining, many thanks Steve.

Guest Mirrdhyn

@ somebody9 :

I have exactly the same issues on My Streak.

Two things :

- The problem comes from the hardware (unstable, ...) => Is exactly for that I cannot slide the lockscreen (electrostatic ?)

- The problem comes from the driver provided by Dell => When the network is searching after every time I turn back on, my Dell is very load and becomes unresponsive or executes my command after 15 to 20 seconds ...

I don't think that the problems comes from DJ Steve, because all files are delivered by Dell or Google.

And I am not sure that Dell can release a very good driver :)

So I mean DJ Steve cannot correct those issues before that Dell releases a better drivers and source code to have a better release...

Guest jonnybruce

1. My Streak (which is my 2nd Streak and is brand new) randomly becomes unresponsive and lags ridiculously even though I have no apps installed. Sometimes this disappears on its own, at other times I have to remove the battery and restart.

2. The Lockscreen. THE LOCKSCREEN. It's driving me nuts. About 5 times a day, and I'm not exaggerating, at least 5 times a day the lockscreen slider becomes unresponsive. Turning the screen of and then on again and trying to slide the button across works sometimes ( usually 3 on-off button presses ). Sometimes it's futile. When it does unlock the phone is completely normal.

Using:

adwlauncher

bios

volboost

Also tried:

adwlauncher

bios

volboostnoppt

Troubleshooting:

I installed 1.9.0 after using QDL. So it was quite literally a fresh install. Despite this I have tried Factory Resetting and the problems do not go away.

For point 2, just use Menu Unlock from the market.

It's free and will save you a whole world of pain

Guest mba07

I had a similar problem. Random reboots, unresponsive and occasional slowdowns.

PFmod with streakdroid 1.9.0.

The fault does NOT lie with steves rom's. Its the combination of software that you put on the tablet that causes these problems.

Resolution that worked for me :- Factory reset, clear cache. Reinstall either 1.5.1 or 1.5.3. Reflash 1.9.0 without PFmod.

Now running fine.

Currently using VTL launcher which is absolutley fab on this rom.

Guest Edrill

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that most of my problems disappeared after I reflashed without perfmod, after going down to 1.5.x, just like mba07 mentioned.

Edited by Edrill

Guest frankquattrone
For point 2, just use Menu Unlock from the market.

It's free and will save you a whole world of pain

Hey, are you using Menu Unlock with no problems on 1.9? I had read on another thread that Menu Unlock didn't work with Steve's ROMs because the menu button didn't work on the lock screen or something like that. Also, the only version on the market is $0.99. Is that the one you use or is there another one? Thanks.

Guest somebody9

I'm not blaming DJ Steve. But the issue is not the hardware, otherwise this problem with the slider unlock would have always existed. As far as I remember I never had this issue in any of the 1.5.x, 1.6x releases or the 1.7.x releases. And I was a beta tester so I tested every release in between too. If it didn't happen then and it is happening now, my conclusion is that there's something wrong in 1.9.0

Also : Why does going down to 1.5.3 help? Steve informed me that the factory reset option has been fully functional since release 1.8 or 1.7. Going down to 1.5.3 and factory resetting shouldn't be necessary.

I'll try clearing the cache though. Maybe that will help. Hope Steve fixes these bugs.

Guest Wee Thomas
This issue has been elimated in Steve's build for some time... this is not the issue.

If I remove my backplate, the phone starts powering off. As if I held down the power button, then clicked power off. Somehow, this is the issue.

Guest TData

Using:

adwlauncher

bios

volboost

Also tried:

adwlauncher

bios

volboostnoppt

Troubleshooting:

For lock-screen woes- I have discovered a simple yet effective solution. Are you keeping your phone in your pocket?

Put the phone in your pocket with the screen facing away from your body!

The prolonged exposure/proximity to your leg seems to build up capacitance with the screen and cause it to be unresponsive to touch. I used to have the problem constantly, ever since I started putting my phone in my pocket battery back towards thigh, I've had ZERO problems.

Best of luck!

Guest Edrill

1.5.x didn't have the perfmod option, so going down and factory resetting effectively removes the perfmod data/partition allowing you to have a proper clean install of 1.9.0 without perfmod. Not sure if I'm explaining this correctly, but that's what I've been led to understand! May Steve or fards could explain it better.

Guest superutp
1.5.x didn't have the perfmod option, so going down and factory resetting effectively removes the perfmod data/partition allowing you to have a proper clean install of 1.9.0 without perfmod. Not sure if I'm explaining this correctly, but that's what I've been led to understand! May Steve or fards could explain it better.

I had done the same thing after 1.9.0 started giving me probs...went to 1.5.0..factory reset...flashed 1.9.0 without perf mod...all fine...

though i wasnt using 1.9.0 with perfmod in the first place....but its all better now..

Guest nystreak
I had done the same thing after 1.9.0 started giving me probs...went to 1.5.0..factory reset...flashed 1.9.0 without perf mod...all fine...

though i wasnt using 1.9.0 with perfmod in the first place....but its all better now..

Im having alot of the same issues on my streak with 1.90 on it. I want to try factory reset also. Just so I'm clear do you fac reset then flash 1.5x then flash 1.9 or flash 1.5x then fac reset then reflash 1.9 with no perfmod. Thank you everyone here for the help. I love my streak but lately its been almost unbearable.

Guest frankquattrone
Hey, are you using Menu Unlock with no problems on 1.9? I had read on another thread that Menu Unlock didn't work with Steve's ROMs because the menu button didn't work on the lock screen or something like that. Also, the only version on the market is $0.99. Is that the one you use or is there another one? Thanks.

Menu unlock works on 1.9.0. I just tried it.

Guest superutp
Im having alot of the same issues on my streak with 1.90 on it. I want to try factory reset also. Just so I'm clear do you fac reset then flash 1.5x then flash 1.9 or flash 1.5x then fac reset then reflash 1.9 with no perfmod. Thank you everyone here for the help. I love my streak but lately its been almost unbearable.

well I actually flashed 1.5.0 then factory reset ..then flashed 1.9....turned out that some apps were still installed on my streak...i did a factory reset again...the apps didnt disappear...dont know where these apps game from but I uninstalled most of them or else deleted them from root explorer...

Guest jonnybruce

sorry Frank only just seen this...

Yep, am on 1.9.0 and it works fine.

And yes it is the $0.99 version

Guest frankquattrone
sorry Frank only just seen this...

Yep, am on 1.9.0 and it works fine.

And yes it is the $0.99 version

Thanks bro. No worries. I just tried it figuring I could afford to lose 99c if it didn't work. I agree, this is great for the Streak. Maybe my thumb is too short but I always have trouble sliding all the way across when I'm holding it in one hand. Same thing with answering. I installed Advanced Telephone which substitutes the slider with big Answer and Reject buttons. It's very cool and has some other cool features like auto sending an SMS after rejecting a call. Only downside is that if your screen is off, it takes about 1-2 secs after you receive a call for the screen to turn on to see caller ID and the buttons. I've lived with it so far because I hated the slide but I have to say, the delay is annoying.

Guest AIR-WIZZ

Turning your phone around so the screan faces outward is absolutly true. It immediatly cured my problem unlocking the screan after pulling phone out of my pocket.

For lock-screen woes- I have discovered a simple yet effective solution. Are you keeping your phone in your pocket?

The prolonged exposure/proximity to your leg seems to build up capacitance with the screen and cause it to be unresponsive to touch. I used to have the problem constantly, ever since I started putting my phone in my pocket battery back towards thigh, I've had ZERO problems.

Best of luck!

Guest jmhalder

doing this can more easily damage the screen by leaning up against something (cabinet knob, counter, etc.). I don't know if its a placebo effect or not. But a while back, I was reading that you can keep oils off the screen by using Rain-X on them (after cleaning rigorously) I tried this on my Nook Color and on my Streak 5. I was impressed, oils didn't seem to stick to the screen as much, thus not looking as "smudgy", this effect really didn't last more than a day or two, but it made the screen feel SILKY smooth. And I didn't have the problem where I couldn't unlock my phone for about a week and a half, not even once!

But I suppose it's just anecdotal evidence, but try it out, it can't hurt.

Guest airestonia

I have just done the following:

Downgraded from 1.9.0 to 1.5.1

Factory Data Reset, from UI (Settings)

Format SD card, from UI (Settings)

Upgraded to 1.9.0

And I still get the symptoms described in this thread.

From time to time, Streak becomes very slow, not responsive, unlock slider moves very slowly and freezes in the upper position.

The other thing I haven't seen described here is following:

I usually press on Power button, just to see what time it is and naturally press on it again almost right away to put it to sleep.

I have noticed that this procedure makes the Streak become not responsive, slow and I need to press on the power button a few times to make the screen turn off, etc.

If anyone has a solution please help! I'd really appreciate it!

Maybe I was supposed to use some other lower build, like 1.4.6 in order to get rid of PerfMod? How do I know if I still have it?

Any input on this problem is highly appreciated!

Thank you!