Yes I Really Bricked MY Advent Vega

Guest phil8715

Guest phil8715

Last night I flashed my Vega with the CM7 rom, took a few attempts but I managed it. I took my Advent Vega to Pc World to try to get them to show me how to get the driver s with W7, but when I switched it on it and it booted up it got to the front screen, then it froze completely, I managed to get into Rom Manager, I tried to flash it back to Paul's Modaco rom but all I got was the Vega flash screen, it kept going round into a loop.

I got it home and tried to re-installed Paul's Modaco rom and it was having none of it. It wouldn't even switch on. There was power going through as the battery light was showing fuly charged.

I printed off the order and returned it to PC world where the bloke had a look and he couldn't do anything either. I am pretty much savvy when it comes to flashing roms.

I had a 30 minutes phone call to Dixons and it was decided I was to leave it at the store they would pick and send me a new one. With flash pre-installed.

So it proves that an Advent Vega can be bricked.

Edited by phil8715

Guest Solidare

Hi Phil

It's a shame you don't still have it, I’m pretty sure you could get it working again.

In your explanation there is no mention of trying to restore using the official Advent 1.09 software; this would have probably been the key to bringing it back to life. If you start playing around with your new one you may well run into similar issues so it may be useful just to be aware of this method. There are plenty of topics on here explaining what to do and the myadventvega.co.uk website will also be useful.

Hope you have better luck and a smoother experience with your new one.

Guest Zebrahead

I'm willing to wager you can reinstall the stock rom.

Follow the guides on myadventvega.co.uk .

You can think of this tool using a "lower level" part of the system that in never used nor changed in applying / changing roms. It persists no matter what.

It is because of this, "lower level" part, that the VEGA can be restored in every situation that doesn't involve a physical problem. (Unless you somehow manage to damage this "lower level" part, this is no easy feat and you'd have to know that you were doing it, if you were to do it.... if that makes sense :))

Zeb

Guest Zebrahead

Didn't see that they'd switched it :)

But I'm willing to wager I could have fixed it given 10 mins or so. I wouldn't be too concerned about bricking it in future, you'd have an extremely hard time.

Zeb

Guest phil8715
Hi Phil

It's a shame you don't still have it, I’m pretty sure you could get it working again.

In your explanation there is no mention of trying to restore using the official Advent 1.09 software; this would have probably been the key to bringing it back to life. If you start playing around with your new one you may well run into similar issues so it may be useful just to be aware of this method. There are plenty of topics on here explaining what to do and the myadventvega.co.uk website will also be useful.

Hope you have better luck and a smoother experience with your new one.

What I should have done was leave it with Paul's Modaco ROM.

I could couldn't even get it to switch on, so there was no way I could restore it back to v1.09. To be fair i've always had problem with CM7 I had it briefly on my ZTE Blade and took it off as it was causing my blade to just switch itself for no apparent reason.

Guest warriorscot

You wouldn't be able to tell if it was on or not if it was in recovery the full rom installation instructions on the advent site tell you how to access this mode. Whatever you do you can always enter this mode unless the vega is physically damaged. You should have posted here as the people at dixons/PC world barely know what a vega is half the time let alone how to fix one.

The only way to distinguish if a vega is in recovery is on is to have it hooked into a PC and checking device manager.

Also you want to use CWM not rom manager.

Guest mintvilla
What I should have done was leave it with Paul's Modaco ROM.

I could couldn't even get it to switch on, so there was no way I could restore it back to v1.09. To be fair i've always had problem with CM7 I had it briefly on my ZTE Blade and took it off as it was causing my blade to just switch itself for no apparent reason.

its quite clear that you would of been able to get it into recovery, seemed to me like you paniced and rushed off to pc world to get an exchange for it being "faulty" when it was clearly you that had broke it. Its people like you that screw around with things you clearly dont know what your doing, that makes manufactures start locking and signing their bootloaders, like what HTC have started doing because they were gettin so many returns with people claiming there faulty when actualy its because total idiots dont know what there doing.

Guest PurpleRob

I did exactly the same and thought it was bricked!

I downloaded the official recovery software and persevered and kept trying to put it into revovery whilst watching device manager. Finally after several hours I managed to restore it.

+1 to the Vega being unbrickable

Guest Minimonkey

Have you really returned it already? By all the replies you should really change the title to: sorry guys I panicked and sent it back to Dixon's. :) Shame you didn't ask for advice first.

Guest xathras
its quite clear that you would of been able to get it into recovery, seemed to me like you paniced and rushed off to pc world to get an exchange for it being "faulty" when it was clearly you that had broke it. Its people like you that screw around with things you clearly dont know what your doing, that makes manufactures start locking and signing their bootloaders, like what HTC have started doing because they were gettin so many returns with people claiming there faulty when actualy its because total idiots dont know what there doing.

If you don't have a constructive criticism to make, it's usually better not to comment. So far, this forum has been thankfully free of posts such as yours. Please be polite in future.

Why do people seem to be intent on proving the Vega is Brickable?

Unlike the OP I will fully admit that I am a complete novice when it comes to ROMS and this was the very first gadget I had played with in this way. I've screwed it many times whilst playing with ROMS, but have never once thought 'it's bricked' due to the smarter people on here that I trust.

I have recently gone through the same process as described by the OP (without taking to PC World or Dixons), and then whilst on a train to London fully recovered it within a few minutes once I figured out I should go back to stock first (It'd been a while since I had to do it). Shame really, as all the threads on 'have I bricked it' (or the new pattern of 'it is brickable' do seem to clog this place up at times...

Guest gingercat

I'm getting a bit bored of "I have managed to brick my Vega", "Is my Vega bricked?" threads... There must be dozens of them now, and the resounding answer is always "No, you can't brick the Vega, just be patient and try again" :)

Edit: cool, someone else got fed up and produced a fix thread: here

Edited by gingercat

Guest Lennyuk

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO BRICK THE VEGA

Thanks

You can always!!! and I mean always!!! boot into NVFLASH (Stock recovery) mode to re-flash a stock rom and start over if you had to.

Also we now have adb boot methods to get into clockwork mod recovery - http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthre...p-(devs-mainly)

and a nice little nandroid restore via nvflash mode here - http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...is-will-fix-it/

Guest dagrim1

You not being able to get it working != really bricked.

The only time you'll not be able to get it to even boot is due to a hardware failure...

Guest phil8715
You not being able to get it working != really bricked.

The only time you'll not be able to get it to even boot is due to a hardware failure...

It must have been a hardware failure.

But many thanks for the negative comments.

I am in no way a novice, I've rooted and flashed quite a few phones and other people phones too with not a sniff of a problem. And i've jailbroken iPhones and iPod touches.

The bloke at PC World/Currys Mega Store couldn't do it either and had to ring tech support himself. It was tech support that advised him it was a complete failure.

Edited by phil8715

Guest Zebrahead

I am in no way a novice, I've rooted and flashed quite a few phones and other people phones too with not a sniff of a problem. And i've jailbroken iPhones and iPod touches.

The bloke at PC World/Currys Mega Store couldn't do it either and had to ring tech support himself. It was tech support that advised him it was a complete failure.

As has been said earlier in the thread, you can't damage the restoration utility by flashing. If you had broken it, you'd know, because the VEGA would have to be broken it two.

I think there's more knowledge here than PC World and their tech support a couple of hundred times over.

I suggest next time, if you come into trouble, you come here before you go there - you'll get better results, quicker ^^.

Zeb

Guest premieral

i feel sorry for anybody posting on this forum anymore the amount of abuse and negativity that is creeping in over the past few days.

yes the vega is unbrickable but attacking a guy for sharing what he thought was valid information sucks big time.

chill out guys or i for one will be saying bye bye modaco and lets hope the smart posters dont feel the same way and leave the majority of the people who read this forum ( who are like me ) looking for inspiration and new ideas to try, in the lurch with a machine that out of the box is pants and no way of ever improving it.

Guest phil8715
i feel sorry for anybody posting on this forum anymore the amount of abuse and negativity that is creeping in over the past few days.

yes the vega is unbrickable but attacking a guy for sharing what he thought was valid information sucks big time.

chill out guys or i for one will be saying bye bye modaco and lets hope the smart posters dont feel the same way and leave the majority of the people who read this forum ( who are like me ) looking for inspiration and new ideas to try, in the lurch with a machine that out of the box is pants and no way of ever improving it.

Thank you so much premieral.

What gets me about the Advent Vega is it's supposed to future proof.

However the device maybe, but isn't quite as future proof as you would think as it isn't capable of working with Windows 7 out of box, and most new pc's sold now only come with Windows 7, and Microsoft are going to pull the plug for support Xp in the next year or so.

Edited by phil8715

Guest newbe5

However the device maybe, but isn't quite as future proof as you would think as it isn't capable of working with Windows 7 out of box, and most new pc's sold now only come with Windows 7, and Microsoft are going to pull the plug for support Xp in the next year or so.

I don't want to fuel the fire here... But it DOES work with Windows 7 out of the box, the issue you are having is with ADB, which is meant for developers, and so a certain ammount of understanding is expected to get it working.

The ADB drivers are a pain in the ass, there's no getting around it, people who say it is easy are either up themselves or lying (or lucky! :)). USBDview is a brilliant tool for fixing this, but bear in mind that ADB isn't a consumer tool, and Avent probably didn't expect normal end users to be using it (only power users etc).

If you are having major issues, boot up a Ubuntu LiveCD or another Linux distro, this will work perfectly with adb right away without needing to mess around with drivers, or set up ADB Wireless and use this instead (to work around the USB driver issues). "Not working with Windows 7 Out of the Box" is a bit of a sweeping statement when it comes to making drivers work on Windows, but yes, the ADB drivers can be a bit of a special case.

USBDView... REmove ALL ADB/Android related drivers. Unplug internet (to stop Windows Update finding drivers). Plug in Vega in Debug mode. Install drivers from Modaco Package. Charlie Sheen.

newbe5

It works for me on both win7 32bit and 64bit. That's using the official drivers from myadventvega.co.uk as well as the adb drivers.

Guest Lennyuk
It works for me on both win7 32bit and 64bit. That's using the official drivers from myadventvega.co.uk as well as the adb drivers.

same here

Guest diamondgar
I don't want to fuel the fire here... But it DOES work with Windows 7 out of the box, the issue you are having is with ADB, which is meant for developers, and so a certain ammount of understanding is expected to get it working.

The ADB drivers are a pain in the ass, there's no getting around it, people who say it is easy are either up themselves or lying (or lucky! :)). USBDview is a brilliant tool for fixing this, but bear in mind that ADB isn't a consumer tool, and Avent probably didn't expect normal end users to be using it (only power users etc).

If you are having major issues, boot up a Ubuntu LiveCD or another Linux distro, this will work perfectly with adb right away without needing to mess around with drivers, or set up ADB Wireless and use this instead (to work around the USB driver issues). "Not working with Windows 7 Out of the Box" is a bit of a sweeping statement when it comes to making drivers work on Windows, but yes, the ADB drivers can be a bit of a special case.

USBDView... REmove ALL ADB/Android related drivers. Unplug internet (to stop Windows Update finding drivers). Plug in Vega in Debug mode. Install drivers from Modaco Package. Charlie Sheen.

newbe5

as long as you rember to create a device rule for your new device with adb in ubuntu, which ive had to do each time i try to use adb/fastboot with ubuntu/linux mint.

to summarise the rest of this thread, you almost certainly didnt brick your device, PC world tech support is lucky if it can find the on button on most devices. If you have a problem with Vega dont panic, just post here or xda and you will almost certaily get it fixed. Please, everyone else stop posting "ive bricked my Vega" threads.

Guest Hexxeh

It isn't unbrickable, you can flash a bogus bootloader and that'll give you a good brick which you'll need dedicated programming hardware to repair.