• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

wbaw

wbaw

account closed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

in practice, you'll probably be OK, but technically it is still illegal.

Everything is technically illegal here in the UK, that's how the laws are usually worded, to be as broad as possible. I'm not sure if there is an exemption for repair or not, but it doesn't really matter.

If you're changing the imei back to what it was previously in order to repair an accidentally broken phone then you're unlikely to be prosecuted. If you start offering a service to anonymize stolen phones, then you could get in trouble.

Edited by wbaw, 19 April 2011 - 04:46 PM.

leromarinvit

leromarinvit

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Everything is technically illegal here in the UK, that's how the laws are usually worded, to be as broad as possible. I'm not sure if there is an exemption for repair or not, but it doesn't really matter.

If you're changing the imei back to what it was previously in order to repair an accidentally broken phone then you're unlikely to be prosecuted. If you start offering a service to anonymize stolen phones, then you could get in trouble.

I guess if you just do it for yourself, probably nobody will even notice and if they do, they likely won't care. Even if you change your IMEI to something else for fun.

OT: But if they want to go after you for some other reason and find out, they probably will smash the charge at you: it's illegal and you violated the letter of the law, no matter what it was originally designed to prevent. I've recently become quite disillusioned with the justice system around here (not in the UK, but I don't think there's much of a difference anywhere in Europe). Some months ago, a few students were arrested because they had filmed a deportation for a university project. They're now accused of being a terrorist group. One of the charges was that they were manipulating airport radio systems (or planning to) - they had caught some mobile phone masts on the video...

Sebastian404

Sebastian404

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts
  • Devices:lots of them
  • Twitter:@sebastian404

So you realise that having firewall rules based on a MAC address is usually a bit pointless.

Yes, but I had a fit of keen-ness when I configured my firewall, and I have since lost the password, I REALLY cant be bothered to re-create my rule set from scratch.. hence the MAC address spoofing.

I will have to do it one day I guess.. but you know the old saying 'never do today what you can put off until tomorrow'

isambard

isambard

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade

I guess if you just do it for yourself, probably nobody will even notice and if they do, they likely won't care. Even if you change your IMEI to something else for fun.

OT: But if they want to go after you for some other reason and find out, they probably will smash the charge at you: it's illegal and you violated the letter of the law, no matter what it was originally designed to prevent. I've recently become quite disillusioned with the justice system around here (not in the UK, but I don't think there's much of a difference anywhere in Europe). Some months ago, a few students were arrested because they had filmed a deportation for a university project. They're now accused of being a terrorist group. One of the charges was that they were manipulating airport radio systems (or planning to) - they had caught some mobile phone masts on the video...

that's the problem. the attitude is let's make everyone a criminal, and the police, politicians will then decide who they will put in jail.

The best Android Timer application. See also website here: DroidGram Timer Pro.
Download Blade Buddy, the essential companion for your Blade.
Un-lock your Blade with Blade Un-locker.
Free and ad-free basic settings editor: Spare Parts Plus!

CaptainSpectacular

CaptainSpectacular

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
Hope someone see this.

I've an idea, certainly a stupid idea but I prefer submit this to you before doing something...stupid. :)

With QSPT, I've made a "backup" of the "I don't know what". It's a file named "DEAD00D_0.qcn".

So, with this program, I can change my IMEI, so restore the original IMEI which's broken by GEN2 upgrade.

In the file "DEAD00D_0.qcn", we can find this:

'' NV item: 550 [NV_UE_IMEI_I], index 0
NV_UE_IMEI_I 0: 08 1a 23 45 67 89 12 34 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
NV_UE_IMEI_I 1: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
NV_UE_IMEI_I 2: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
NV_UE_IMEI_I 3: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
NV_UE_IMEI_I 4: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
NV_UE_IMEI_I 5: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
NV_UE_IMEI_I 6: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
NV_UE_IMEI_I 7: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
"

This is our IMEI. So the real IMEI is : 13 25 47 69 82 14 35 0

I don't know if the phone read the last "0", at least on my phone, after restore my IMEI with QSPT, the IMEI is good, except the last digit, wich is a 0 ...

So, the idea is, why not replace the "0" on the "DEAD00D_0.qcn" file by the real last digit ? ...

Don't even know if we can restore this "DEAD00D_0.qcn" file anyway but... I will take a more close look at the program. If someone know if it's possible or not. :)

Thanks.

Best regards.

leromarinvit

leromarinvit

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Is your IMEI broken in Gen2 too? I guess it's worth a try then. But if it doesn't work, there's still the new program from this thread. In FTM mode, you can backup your radio NVRAM, put your IMEI back in, and restore it.

burstlam

burstlam

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
notice that the nvm file size is different for GEN1 and GEN2 when u open it with hex editor.

GEN1 NVM backup with the upgrade downloader. the size is 70K
u will find the imei in the line starting atat offset 00001210 (hex)

GEN2 NVM backup with the official downloader , the size changed to 69K
and the imei locate in the line starting at offset 00001100 (hex)

and the imei order is different from QPST VERSION too

if your current imei : 3 45 67 89 10 12 13 14
it will store in this way : 3A 54 76 98 01 21 31 41

if u want to revive the imei. better backup one with the official downloader and edit it yourself.

Edited by burstlam, 22 April 2011 - 06:12 PM.

CaptainSpectacular

CaptainSpectacular

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Is your IMEI broken in Gen2 too? I guess it's worth a try then. But if it doesn't work, there's still the new program from this thread. In FTM mode, you can backup your radio NVRAM, put your IMEI back in, and restore it.

Yeah, but how ? :)

My IMEI is correct on GEN2 with the channel1.nvm trick.

notice that the nvm file size is different for GEN1 and GEN2 when u open it with hex editor.

GEN1 NVM backup with the upgrade downloader. the size is 70K
u will find the imei in the line starting atat offset 00001210 (hex)

GEN2 NVM backup with the official downloader , the size changed to 69K
and the imei locate in the line starting at offset 00001100 (hex)

and the imei order is different from QPST VERSION too

if your current imei : 3 45 67 89 10 12 13 14
it will store in this way : 3A 54 76 98 01 21 31 41

if u want to revive the imei. better backup one with the official downloader and edit it yourself.

You put your finger on something interesting ! My file is 69kb size ans IMEI located at offset 1210 (hex)... So maybe when I try to downgrade on GEN1 I need a 70kb size file ?

But I don't understand, my file is 69K with 1210 (1215) IMEI adress... :)

There's a way to change the IMEI adress on that file without modify anything else ?

Thanks guys.

Edited by CaptainSpectacular, 22 April 2011 - 07:01 PM.

leromarinvit

leromarinvit

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Yeah, but how ? :)

My IMEI is correct on GEN2 with the channel1.nvm trick.
You put your finger on something interesting ! My file is 69kb size... So maybe when I try to downgrade on GEN1 I need a 70kb size file ?

There's a way to change the IMEI adress on that file without modify anything else ?

Thanks guys.

I think the two programs just use different file formats for Channel1.nvm, I don't think it matters what you're flashing or what's currently on the phone.

You can definitely mess around with the file burstlam's tool creates: replace WCDMA_DL_Setting.cfg, log in as Administrator, boot into FTM and Backup/Restore NV. The IMEI is stored at 0x1105 in the same format as in the Gen2 flasher's Channel1.nvm at 0x1215 (little endian BCD).

A different path would be to flash to Gen2 with the correct IMEI, make an NV backup, flash to Gen1 (partially destroying the IMEI), and then restore the NV backup. I just tried that and it works.

CaptainSpectacular

CaptainSpectacular

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

A different path would be to flash to Gen2 with the correct IMEI, make an NV backup, flash to Gen1 (partially destroying the IMEI), and then restore the NV backup. I just tried that and it works.

Yes ! That's what I try to explain and to do since the begining :) So can you explain a little bit more on "how to make nvBackup" and "how to restore NV backup" please ? I have an idea on how to do that but just to be sure. I must put a way to any files in the "SW directory" ? Any others options to tick ?

Thanks so much again.

Regards. :)

Edited by CaptainSpectacular, 22 April 2011 - 07:27 PM.

burstlam

burstlam

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

I think the two programs just use different file formats for Channel1.nvm, I don't think it matters what you're flashing or what's currently on the phone.

You can definitely mess around with the file burstlam's tool creates: replace WCDMA_DL_Setting.cfg, log in as Administrator, boot into FTM and Backup/Restore NV. The IMEI is stored at 0x1105 in the same format as in the Gen2 flasher's Channel1.nvm at 0x1215 (little endian BCD).

yes, I believe that so far this is the safest way to get an upgrade and downgrade between Gen1 and Gen2
I believe that for those who now mess up their imei ,
don't use the downloader with previous update
better to create a nvm with my downloader and edit it manually. before restoring it.

of course ... if something like power failures or unexpected voltage issue in between the process will be a disaster.

leromarinvit

leromarinvit

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Yes ! That's what I try to explain and to do since the begining :) So can you explain a little bit more on "how to make nvBackup" and "how to restore NV backup" please ? I have an idea on how to do that but just to be sure. I must put a way to any files in the "SW directory" ? Any others options to tick ?

1) Download the program and the config file from here: Save the bricked v880
2) replace the config file included in the zip with the one you downloaded separately
3) Start the tool, log in as Administrator / ZTEsmt123
4) Connect your phone in FTM mode
5) Open device manager, look for the virtual COM port
6) Set the port in Option -> Port config
7) Set Config="RT / BT / IMEI / unLock info"
8) Action Mode="Backup NV" or "Restore NV"
9) Start All

CaptainSpectacular

CaptainSpectacular

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
Thanks, I will try that right now.

Ok, all right.

Thanks to you leromarinvit, my phone is back to GEN1 with correct IMEI with this method. It's very easy in fact, so people can do that without any fear if they are able to switch to GEN1>GEN2 and GEN2>GEN1.

Thanks to all.

Edited by CaptainSpectacular, 23 April 2011 - 08:24 AM.

eczanet

eczanet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:zte blade

yes, I believe that so far this is the safest way to get an upgrade and downgrade between Gen1 and Gen2
I believe that for those who now mess up their imei ,
don't use the downloader with previous update
better to create a nvm with my downloader and edit it manually. before restoring it.

of course ... if something like power failures or unexpected voltage issue in between the process will be a disaster.

hi i do everything.. but restore NV couldnt take my imei back.. hasnt change anything..

my imei stucked at 000039485642710 ..

hecatae

hecatae

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,239 posts
  • Devices:Samsung i9305
  • Twitter:@meritez
you can use the gen2 flasher with gen1 files, and you can use the gen1 flasher with gen2 files, both are the same program, just different revisions

burstlam

burstlam

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

hi i do everything.. but restore NV couldnt take my imei back.. hasnt change anything..
my imei stucked at 000039485642710 ..

if u got a nv backup using the update program
just simply replace the files folder with gen1 files.
use the injection tricks by replacing the nvm file with ur original backup in between 6-10%

hecatae

hecatae

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,239 posts
  • Devices:Samsung i9305
  • Twitter:@meritez

1) Download the program and the config file from here: Save the bricked v880
2) replace the config file included in the zip with the one you downloaded separately
3) Start the tool, log in as Administrator / ZTEsmt123
4) Connect your phone in FTM mode
5) Open device manager, look for the virtual COM port
6) Set the port in Option -> Port config
7) Set Config="RT / BT / IMEI / unLock info"
8) Action Mode="Backup NV" or "Restore NV"
9) Start All

works fine for me in Operator mode to restore a saved channel1.nvm

eczanet

eczanet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:zte blade

you can use the gen2 flasher with gen1 files, and you can use the gen1 flasher with gen2 files, both are the same program, just different revisions

i manualy write my imei and restore ... failed (zte phone download)
manualy write on qpst ... failed
try on QXDM ..failed

nv imei is read only...

but i dont know how my imei has changed.. it s read only

dibbles

dibbles

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Life and family :)
  • Devices:Moto G Excite Pro Nexus 7
My IMEI was stuck at 000039485642710 , just the same as you and probably everyone else who had that issue as well. As long as you have made a working channel1.nvm file or got your own you can then restore it as hecatae as written providing you replace your created or saved channel1.nvm file within the flashing folder just after the phone boots the first time during the process, at around 6%-10%. IIRC for me it was at 7%.
The Windows flashing tool was useful to restore my IMEI, some people need to try it several times to get it to work from what I have read.

IIRC the channel1.nvm file within that folder was about 2kb in size which needed to be replaced with the 69kb one that I had backed up. Of course you must use Burstlam's posted file which you have to HEX edit correctly.

Edited by dibbles, 29 April 2011 - 10:02 AM.

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Devices:OSD

My IMEI was stuck at 000039485642710 , just the same as you and probably everyone else who had that issue as well. As long as you have made a working channel1.nvm file or got your own you can then restore it as hecatae as written providing you replace your created or saved channel1.nvm file within the flashing folder just after the phone boots the first time during the process, at around 6%-10%. IIRC for me it was at 7%.
The Windows flashing tool was useful to restore my IMEI, some people need to try it several times to get it to work from what I have read.

IIRC the channel1.nvm file within that folder was about 2kb in size which needed to be replaced with the 69kb one that I had backed up. Of course you must use Burstlam's posted file which you have to HEX edit correctly.

I wonder what the effects will be of so many blades with the same IME,surely it cannot be good.
My IME is also 00003948564271 :mellow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users