• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Step666

Step666

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Devices:Defy & Arc
If your handset is unbranded/unlocked, it should be fine to unlock the bootloader.
Basically, follow these instructions and if it can't be done, it can't be done - you wouldn't be able to brick your handset or anything, it just wouldn't let you even try and unlock it.

One other option would be to use FlashTool to go back to a 2.3.2 ROM until a solution to root 2.3.3 without unlocking the bootloader is found, or a way of re-locking bootloaders is found.
I've got a guide for FlashTool too, though I haven't had a chance to collate a list of ftf files yet, so you'd need to find the appropriate one yourself.

Teh H4rRy

Teh H4rRy

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Devices:Xperia Play 2.3.3
Ah okay, I also noticed I have the 3.0.1.A.0.145 firmware, So I can't use the other tutorials I've seen. But I've found one tailored for my Firmware.

A little heads up to anyone else rooting their play :D

EDIT: Well it seems any discussion on the Play on Modaco is pretty dead, I've been checking out the XDA forums and theres a root method out for 2.3.3. You need to unlock your bootloader and flash the roms the guys there have put up. I flashed a rooted ROM with the 3.0.1.A.0.145 firmware worked like a treat.

Edited by Teh H4rRy, 11 June 2011 - 03:04 PM.

I said when I had an iPhone. I can't go back to anything else. Now I have an Android "How can I go back to anything else?!"

excession3105

excession3105

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hero (T-Mobile G2 Touch)
Bob over to XDA guys. It's finally starting. At the moment it appears that only bootloader unlocked phones can be flashed, but I am in the process of flashing a new ROM now. The devs just need time. Lets be patient and offer some support to these guys.

PrakashDavid

PrakashDavid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Well balls. Looks like I am unlocking my bootloader after all...

Something to clear up, I was gonna ask on XDA but I am still a noob and no rights to post in the developer forums. I brought my Play off Amazon, Sim free. Is the bootloader locked? I heard that sony were only locking the BL on simlocked contract phones.

Hi, did you buy from an amazon authorised seller or directly from amazon? Currently the Xperia Play is being sold by phones2post for £343. I'm a bit sceptical as it seems too cheap. I'm guessing you got the unlocked device. Can you pls tell me if it was a direct purchase or through an authorised seller. Your suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Prax.

Teh H4rRy

Teh H4rRy

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Devices:Xperia Play 2.3.3

Hi, did you buy from an amazon authorised seller or directly from amazon? Currently the Xperia Play is being sold by phones2post for £343. I'm a bit sceptical as it seems too cheap. I'm guessing you got the unlocked device. Can you pls tell me if it was a direct purchase or through an authorised seller. Your suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Prax.

I got it from Amazon, *checking and hoping the price hasn't dropped greatly* But I can't remember who it was from. I paid £460 for mine but it was a bundle with the MW600 bluetooth headphones.

It was Sim free, bootloader unlockable.

I said when I had an iPhone. I can't go back to anything else. Now I have an Android "How can I go back to anything else?!"

jerpelea

jerpelea

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
hy all
for now freexperia team has ported CyanogenMod (unofficialy as devices are not yet suported by CM) to all SonyEricsson devices

you can find our work here and on XDA

ENJOY

FreeXperia Team

Project Homepage
FreeXperia Project
Bin4ry, Defer, Kali, Jerpelea

DOWNLOAD (Latest releases)
Cyanogen Mod 10
Cyanogen Mod 9
Cyanogen Mod 7

BUGTRACKER

if you are unable to download use