simonta

simonta

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  • Devices:Vega. HTC Desire
Hi Andy

i have a strange problem, i installed the drivers about 4 weeks ago and all was fine i installed the MCR and framework stuff , then all of a sudden it stopped working when i do ADB devices there are no devices , have tried on a friends computer and it works fine , when running your program and selecting install Modaco rom it comes up green all ok but i still have no devices when doing ADB devices , can you help me ?

I've seen this myself and never figured it out. ADB is quite fragile in my experience and if you google, you'll see lots of folk with the same problem.

I'm assuming from your post that you are skilled. Apologies if not and come back for simpler help :)

Some things to check:

1. If you are firewalled, check that ADB (or ADB-WINDOWS if that's what you're using) is added as an exception
2. If on Vista/7, right click ADB.EXE and select Properties->Compatibility. Select "Run this program as administrator"
3. Try this

adb kill-server

adb kill-server

adb start-server

What does it say at this point?

Then add-devices

4. Uninstall the driver and use my tool to reinstall by manually browsing to the drivers you downloaded when it all worked.

The latest Android SDK has updated ADB and the drivers. Come to think of it, I haven't had an ADB problem since installing it so maybe it's a fixed problem?

Cheers

Simon

Edited by simonta, 19 April 2011 - 08:08 PM.

If I've helped you, you want to say "thanks" and you do not use Dropbox (it's enormously useful, especially with mobile devices), please consider signing up for it using my reference. You'll get 2GB of disk space for files available anywhere, any time on any device. They give us both an extra 250MB if you do sign up!

Apple? I'd rather eat my own kidneys!

leshii

leshii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:MDA Compact II
Looks like a great app don't know if this is specific to my setup (win 7 64 in parallels vm on a mac) but the 64 bit stuff does not like me.
Have you included the ia64 drivers rather than the x64 drivers?
The message I get is that the package is valid but not the correct arch if I try to run the 32bit package (manually) it says I should run the 64bit package.
resolved my issue by running adb from mac. :)

anyway great app even if it didn't work for me.

tata

DS

simonta

simonta

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Looks like a great app don't know if this is specific to my setup (win 7 64 in parallels vm on a mac) but the 64 bit stuff does not like me.
Have you included the ia64 drivers rather than the x64 drivers?
The message I get is that the package is valid but not the correct arch if I try to run the 32bit package (manually) it says I should run the 64bit package.
resolved my issue by running adb from mac. :)

anyway great app even if it didn't work for me.

tata

DS

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Curious!

ADB drivers don't distinguish between ia64, amd64 or x64. The INF (the installer instruction file) only contains 2 directives for architecture:

[Google.NTx86]
;NVIDIA Tegra
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7000
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100

and

[Google.NTamd64]
;NVIDIA Tegra
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7000
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100

If you follow the chain in the INF, NTx86 installs the files from the "i386" folder and NTamd64 from the "amd64" folder. I have included both. I'm guessing that this is probably a Parallels problem, something in the way it emulates the HAL and CPU.

Could you do me a favour please? In your VM, right click the ADB device (it doesn't matter that the drivers are not right) and select Properties->Details and let me know the hardware IDs? I really want to get this tool 100% and if it means excluding Parallels, then so be it.

Thanks again

Simon

If I've helped you, you want to say "thanks" and you do not use Dropbox (it's enormously useful, especially with mobile devices), please consider signing up for it using my reference. You'll get 2GB of disk space for files available anywhere, any time on any device. They give us both an extra 250MB if you do sign up!

Fusion1296

Fusion1296

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Tech and Football
  • Devices:Vega and HTC Desire

Hi Andy
I've seen this myself and never figured it out. ADB is quite fragile in my experience and if you google, you'll see lots of folk with the same problem.

I'm assuming from your post that you are skilled. Apologies if not and come back for simpler help :)

Some things to check:

1. If you are firewalled, check that ADB (or ADB-WINDOWS if that's what you're using) is added as an exception
2. If on Vista/7, right click ADB.EXE and select Properties->Compatibility. Select "Run this program as administrator"
3. Try this

adb kill-server

adb kill-server

adb start-server

What does it say at this point?

Then add-devices

4. Uninstall the driver and use my tool to reinstall by manually browsing to the drivers you downloaded when it all worked.

The latest Android SDK has updated ADB and the drivers. Come to think of it, I haven't had an ADB problem since installing it so maybe it's a fixed problem?

Cheers

Simon

Hi , thanks for your quick reply , i have tried , 1 , 2 and 4 , i will try 3 and also the new SDK stuff at the weekend and report back .

Thanks Andy

simonta

simonta

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
A plea please to help me to get this tool as good as it can be.

Several people have reported problems with the driver on 64 bit. My tool is installing the driver correctly, actually, it's correctly telling Windows to install it. I'm going to spend some time checking the driver itself.

To assist, would some kind soul who knows that they're doing uninstall ADB, plug the Vega back in, right click the device which Windows automatically installs and let me know the following:

1. What is the exact name of the device installed?
2. Right click the device and select properties->details then note the hardware IDs.
3. Reinstall the driver then repeat step 2 and also include device class GUID, INF section and matching device ID

You can copy/paste all of these values.

Many thanks

Simon

Fusion1296

Fusion1296

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Tech and Football
  • Devices:Vega and HTC Desire

Hi , thanks for your quick reply , i have tried , 1 , 2 and 4 , i will try 3 and also the new SDK stuff at the weekend and report back .
Thanks Andy

HI Simon,
just wanted to let you know how i got on , 1st when i tried to run your program and do the remove drivers and reinstall it came up and said devcon64 needed to be in the same folder ( it is in the same folder ) so i made a path to the folder but no difference ?
i then downloaded the SDK stuff and tried the ADB in there no difference , then i tried the drivers that are in the SDK couldnt get them to work at all they didnt seem to recognize the vega and the hardware id was incorrect and it kept wanted to load different drivers all the time so went back to the drivers in the MCR still nothing in ADB devices .
went to bed ! just connected it all up to let you know the error messages ,typed ADB DEVICES and it worked fine !!! help , over night the laptop was on sleep no reboot , so its working but i have no idea why , its been working before but after a while stops so i will have to see how it goes .

Thanks for your help and for your program .

Andy

AN UPDATE

it stopped working again when the laptop came out a sleep , a reboot made no difference .

What i have found is that if i use the ADB that came in the MCR to stop and start the server it reports that it has stopped and started but adb devices reports no devices , if i use the ADB that is part of the SDK to stop and start the server it reports ok and if i then do ADB devices it reports my Vega as connected , does it stop and start a different server or does the ADB in the SDK stop and start the server correctly ?

I hope that this info might help other that have similar problems where all drivers appear to be correct but ADB devices reports no devices .

Thanks again Simon for all your help !

Edited by Fusion1296, 22 April 2011 - 05:57 PM.

mrforsythexeter

mrforsythexeter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Devices:Tytn II, Orange San Fran
Hi Simon, App looks great, however I'm embarrassed to say I can't get my Vega into ADB mode.

Here is a run down

OS NAME: Windows 7 Ultimate
OS Platform Win23NT
OS Version: 6.1.7601.65536
Os Architecture 64 Bit

Driver Name: NVIDIA Tegra 2 USB Device
Device Type: Disk Drives
Driver Provider Microsoft
Driver Version 6.1.7600.16385
Hardware Ids:
USBSTOR\DiskNVIDIA__Tegra_2_________0000
USBSTOR\DiskNVIDIA__Tegra_2_________
USBSTOR\DiskNVIDIA__
USBSTOR\NVIDIA__Tegra_2_________0
NVIDIA__Tegra_2_________0
USBSTOR\GenDisk
GenDisk
Compatible Ids:
USBSTOR\Disk
USBSTOR\RAW

EC Version: 1.9.0
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9_P10_v1.09_20110211_DIX
Build Number: harmoney 2.2 FRF91 20110211.101539

Now, I know it looks like the device is in mass storage mode, however I have not pressed the button to turn on mass storage.

Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging is ticked.

I have tried installing the device drivers manually, however it keeps reporting there isn't 64bit drivers. "The Folder specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems.

My computer is showing a device with removable storage, however its not mounted.

So there appears to be a problem with Windows pre-empting the SD card being mounted... Any ideas?

mrforsythexeter

mrforsythexeter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Devices:Tytn II, Orange San Fran
Hi Simon,
I used USBDeview 64bit to uninstall the driver and known device for the Nivdia Tegra 2 USB Device, and then asked device manager to rescan, which then readded all drivers correctly, and your tool went green. So im guessing this is a known device problem with windows 7, it had seen it before in USB Mass Storage mode, so it remember and didn't bother to update or search for other drivers when seeing the device again. Hope this helps you or some one else.

phil8715

phil8715

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:Mobile phones, mobile phones & mobile phones, football,playing snooker, watching poker, listening to music, reading & travel.

Rooting and modding phones.
  • Devices:SG Note N7000, Huawei G300
  • Twitter:@philtheclaret
Do you have to have the paid version for this to work? As I have noticed the paid has the adb drivers included.

Edited by phil8715, 23 April 2011 - 04:02 PM.

pdej

pdej

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi Simon,

THis took longer for me to try out than I thought it would, but actually ended up needing to try it due to my accelerometer breaking...

I'm running this on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.

I have managed to use the tool to wipe the existing drivers, and reinstall the stock ones and stock ROM.

I'm now trying to move onto installing the Modaco drivers, but the tool is telling me that ADB is not switched on yet, and that I should enable USB Debugging. USB Debugging is on, but I cannot get the tool to recognise the Vega being ready.

I'm probably not techie enough to understand many of the posts above, so apologise if this is the same info or the answer is already above.

If there is any more info you would like let me know.

simonta

simonta

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Hi Simon,
I used USBDeview 64bit to uninstall the driver and known device for the Nivdia Tegra 2 USB Device, and then asked device manager to rescan, which then readded all drivers correctly, and your tool went green. So im guessing this is a known device problem with windows 7, it had seen it before in USB Mass Storage mode, so it remember and didn't bother to update or search for other drivers when seeing the device again. Hope this helps you or some one else.

This is fantastic info, thanks! When my tool deletes existing drivers, it does so by deleting everything from Advent, vendor ID 0955, for the Vega, product ID 7100. I will add a delete for the above also. Thanks again....

Cheers

simonta

simonta

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Hi Simon,

THis took longer for me to try out than I thought it would, but actually ended up needing to try it due to my accelerometer breaking...

I'm running this on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.

I have managed to use the tool to wipe the existing drivers, and reinstall the stock ones and stock ROM.

I'm now trying to move onto installing the Modaco drivers, but the tool is telling me that ADB is not switched on yet, and that I should enable USB Debugging. USB Debugging is on, but I cannot get the tool to recognise the Vega being ready.

I'm probably not techie enough to understand many of the posts above, so apologise if this is the same info or the answer is already above.

If there is any more info you would like let me know.

OK, understood. Could you please do one thing? With USB debugging turned on, unplug your Vega then plug it back in. Watch which devices appears and then right click that device, select properties->details and let me know the hardware ID.

Thank you!

simonta

simonta

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Do you have to have the paid version for this to work? As I have noticed the paid has the adb drivers included.

Hi Phil

No. The drivers are included! Select "Just do it" in the tool. The tool will install the drivers included.

Cheers

simonta

simonta

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

HI Simon,
just wanted to let you know how i got on , 1st when i tried to run your program and do the remove drivers and reinstall it came up and said devcon64 needed to be in the same folder ( it is in the same folder ) so i made a path to the folder but no difference ?
i then downloaded the SDK stuff and tried the ADB in there no difference , then i tried the drivers that are in the SDK couldnt get them to work at all they didnt seem to recognize the vega and the hardware id was incorrect and it kept wanted to load different drivers all the time so went back to the drivers in the MCR still nothing in ADB devices .
went to bed ! just connected it all up to let you know the error messages ,typed ADB DEVICES and it worked fine !!! help , over night the laptop was on sleep no reboot , so its working but i have no idea why , its been working before but after a while stops so i will have to see how it goes .

Thanks for your help and for your program .

Andy
AN UPDATE

it stopped working again when the laptop came out a sleep , a reboot made no difference .

What i have found is that if i use the ADB that came in the MCR to stop and start the server it reports that it has stopped and started but adb devices reports no devices , if i use the ADB that is part of the SDK to stop and start the server it reports ok and if i then do ADB devices it reports my Vega as connected , does it stop and start a different server or does the ADB in the SDK stop and start the server correctly ?

I hope that this info might help other that have similar problems where all drivers appear to be correct but ADB devices reports no devices .

Thanks again Simon for all your help !

Thanks very much Andy. More great info. The SDK drivers don't work but I can get them to work by modifying the INF to include the Vega IDs. The ADB server is the same except for different revisions of the SDK. ADB-WINDOWS.EXE which Paul ships with the mcr is just a renamed ADB.EXE from the SDK but I'm guessing it's a couple of versions out of date.

Armed with this info, I'll have another round of changes tomorrow to get v0.3 out.

Thanks again.

pdej

pdej

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi Simon,

I solved it already, but I think it came up showing NVidia. I did as posted above and downloaded USBDeview and uninstalled all NVidia drivers and everything started working. I think this was from my previous attempts to get this to work on Win 7. Anyway. Everything is running perfectly now - and I've just gone through the whole process another time without issue. Thanks for the excellent tool!

I would use your dropbox link, but already have it myself, but as a thank you I'll pass on your link the next time I let someone know about it.

EDIT: And for measure, my Vega decided to throw another wobbly, so I've completed a third and hopefully final, setup from scratch using this! Oh and reflashing seems to have sorted out my accelerometer issue as well.

Edited by pdej, 23 April 2011 - 11:07 PM.

RexMundo

RexMundo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire
Hi. Been trying for many many hours to get adb working. No success. Your app said correct drivers where installed but still nothing on adb showing.
what did it in the end was to install a new version of the sdk. I had an old version from a year ago. You may want to add this in your app. Thanks!

Bobby Elliott

Bobby Elliott

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Devices:Advent Vega
Not working for me, Simoneta, on a Windows 7 64-bit OS.

It tells me the device is not in ADB mode -- but it is. The notification bar tells me "USB debugging connected". But I can't get past the first stage because of this. Help!

flegg

flegg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire HD / Advent Vega
  • Twitter:@dtyates

Cool, please post back. Need as much feedback as possible. I would like to repost a final version in time for the weekend noob flood.

Hi there, trying to use the AUDI tool, I'm running it as an administrator, but now it's saying DPINST64 and DEVCON64.exe must be in the same directory as this tool, Please reinstall it.

I've checked and it is in the same directory as the AUDI tool, any suggestions?

Also Tablet in Debug mode but tool not detecting it, also not detecting recovery mode either

simonta

simonta

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Hi there, trying to use the AUDI tool, I'm running it as an administrator, but now it's saying DPINST64 and DEVCON64.exe must be in the same directory as this tool, Please reinstall it.

I've checked and it is in the same directory as the AUDI tool, any suggestions?

Also Tablet in Debug mode but tool not detecting it, also not detecting recovery mode either

I have a bug somewhere but not able to spot it through inspection.

Any .Net devs with 64 bit here can try some stuff out for me? Contribute to the community effort to kill the noob USB problems?

simonta

simonta

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Not working for me, Simoneta, on a Windows 7 64-bit OS.

It tells me the device is not in ADB mode -- but it is. The notification bar tells me "USB debugging connected". But I can't get past the first stage because of this. Help!

When you selected USB debugging, did you turn USB storage on? If so, don't!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users