Guest Ralph Martin

Guest leromarinvit

Supplier / Model: YESSS ZTE Blade

Original ROM: B01 & B02

ROM Used after going to GEN2: SS RLS4, CM7

Network Provider / Country: bob (= A1), Austria

HSUPA: No

850MHz: Untested

I also tried the japanese amss (from the Softbank update), same result.

Guest flickflack

Supplier / Model: Orange San Francisco

Original ROM: B10 (TFT)

ROM Used after going to GEN2: Swedish Spring RLS4b

Network Provider / Country:Vodaphone UK

HSUPA Yes

850MHz (Yes / No / Not supported by my provider): Not used in UK.

Supplier / Model: Orange San Francisco

Original ROM: B10 (TFT)

ROM Used after going to GEN2: Jacob's CyanogenMod--updated to R41

Network Provider / Country: Orange

HSUPA Yes

850MHz (Yes / No / Not supported by my provider): Not used in UK.

Guest hedgepigdaniel

Supplier / Model Orange UK / Orange San Francisco

Original ROM B05

ROM Used after going to GEN2: CM7

Network Provider / Country TPG Mobile (Uses the Optus Network) / Australia

HSUPA No (Speedtest consistently shows about 350kbps

850MHz Not supported by my provider

Guest JCola

When reporting the HSUPA results, could you also include the achieved upload speed as it seems that some people are getting speeds of 400-500 kbps also with gen1 devices.

Guest hecatae
When reporting the HSUPA results, could you also include the achieved upload speed as it seems that some people are getting speeds of 400-500 kbps also with gen1 devices.

got a screenshot of speedtest.net app showing 33750kbps upload, so I'll go and edit my post

Guest k0zmic
got a screenshot of speedtest.net app showing 33750kbps upload, so I'll go and edit my post

I've got around the same on the Speedtest app, although they drop to around 160Kbps within five seconds or so.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest Hellek2
Supplier / Model: YESSS ZTE Blade

Original ROM: B01 & B02

ROM Used after going to GEN2: SS RLS4, CM7

Network Provider / Country: bob (= A1), Austria

850MHz: Untested

I also tried the japanese amss (from the Softbank update), same result.

I read somewhere that bob does not support HSUPA (unlike A1). You should try with another network. bob IS using the same infrastructure as A1, nevertheless some "premium" features are not available for bob customers.

Guest leromarinvit
I read somewhere that bob does not support HSUPA (unlike A1). You should try with another network. bob IS using the same infrastructure as A1, nevertheless some "premium" features are not available for bob customers.

It is supported, I can put the SIM in a different phone and HSUPA works.

Guest isambard

The debate is over. wbaw and Rotmann confirmed that the mixed TPT method can create Gen2 phone preserving TPT capabilities. Now you have the ability to try Gen2 and preserve TPT and have the option to swap back to Gen1 if required.

Guest Ralph Martin

The debate is not whether we can safely switch to Gen2. The debate is whether doing so actually provides the advantages claimed. If it doesn't, and you don't want to use CM7, there would be no point switching to Gen2.

Anyway, we may as well call this survey closed. It has been open long enough for people who are going to bother to respond to have done so. The results seem to be:

HSUPA works for most people, although it does not seem to for a few

850MHz only one survey respondent said it worked, although he seems to be in a country without 850MHz signal (where was this tested?); others were unable to test

If there IS anyone living / holidaying / working in an 850MHz region who can definitively comment, that would be useful. This includes Canada, USA, and various other countries in the Americas. See http://allworldcellphones.com/gsm-frequencies-list.htm

Guest dibbles
If there IS anyone living / holidaying / working in an 850MHz region who can definitively comment, that would be useful. This includes Canada, USA, and various other countries in the Americas. See http://allworldcellphones.com/gsm-frequencies-list.htm

I can't remember the details or the thread but someone had a trip over to Canada and they reported that no matter what they tried they could not get their GEN 2 upgraded phone to pick up a 850MHz signal. They did mention a telecom provider called Rogers (IIRC).

Guest zerosignull

02 in the UK recently started to switch over some of their 2g capacity on the 850Mhz spectrum to 3g so if you are a 3g customer I guess you would get some benefit from GEN2

Guest fonix232

Okay, so the three Hungarian Blades:

Supplier / Model			  ZTE Blade

Original ROM				  B02 B03 B05 (all of them occurs, B02's were wrong and updated)

Network Provider / Country	T-Mobile Hungary

HSUPA						 No

850MHz						No

After update

ROM Used after going to GEN2  SS RLS4;CM7

HSUPA						 Yes

850MHz						 Not applicable (wasn't tried)

Original ROM				  B08

Network Provider / Country   Telenor Hungary

HSUPA						 No

850MHz						 No

After update

HSUPA						 Yes

Original ROM				 Unknown

Network Provider / Country	Vodafone Hungary

Gen2 by default

HSUPA						 Yes

Edited by fonix232

Supplier / Model: Orange UK / Orange San Francisco

Original ROM: B20

Network Provider / Country: T-Mobile UK

850MHz: Not supported by my provider

Supplier / Model:.....................Base Lutea

Original ROM:..........................B03

ROM Used after going to GEN2:.CM7 Nightly 55

Network Provider / Country:.....Vodafone Germany

HSUPA:...................................No

850MHz:..................................Not applicable. Vodafone doesn't use this frequency in 2G.

As expected, no HSUPA support. Nevertheless, my provider/carrier supports with the same SIM in an UMTS Modem (ZTE MF190 to be precise) up to 7.2 Mbit down and up to 1.5 Mbit upstream. The cell reception in 2G is minimal better, at best. In 3G it is quite better. Reception improved from 6 to 8 ASU up to 12 ASU at the same spot. I will recheck this regularly the next days at various times.

Edited by bhf

Guest tyrol_gangster

Supplier / Model Orange San Francisco / OLED G1

Original ROM SS RLS5

ROM Used after going to GEN2 SS RLS5

Network Provider / Country Vodafone / Czech Republic

HSUPA NO (360 kbps)

850MHz Not Supported

Guest shmizan

I wonder how to tell if im running 850 after upgrading to gen2. I know my network supports it but i get really bad reception in other part of my country which i had good reception with my old nokia..

So how do i find out?

Guest zerosignull
I wonder how to tell if im running 850 after upgrading to gen2. I know my network supports it but i get really bad reception in other part of my country which i had good reception with my old nokia..

So how do i find out?

GOOGLE:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/d..._gsm_frequency/

Havent tried it but sounds says it will tell you what GSM frequency you are using.

Guest Ralph Martin

But it seems people cannot get FieldTest.apk working on Blades (any ROM). Maybe it is hardware specific?

Guest KACE_231

Supplier / Model: Orange UK / Orange San Francisco

Original ROM: B10

Network Provider / Country: Orange UK

HSUPA: Yes (well I get the H-sign on status bar in a location that I previously did not, speeds are untested)

850MHz: Not supported by my provider

Other notes: a small but noticable improvement in wifi signal strength

Edited by KACE_231

Guest KonstaT

Supplier / Model ZTE Blade 5mpix

Original ROM EFIN_P729BV1.0.0B02

ROM Used after going to GEN2 SS RLS5 + CM7.0.2

Network Provider / Country Saunalahti Finland

HSUPA NO

850MHz Not supported

This thread is completely useless and should be removed. Atleast some sort of test protocol should be described in the first post. People are reporting untested results! For the last time, H-sign in statusbar doesn't stand for hsUpa (u=upload), it stands for hsDpa (d=download).

Guest JCola

ROM Used after going to GEN2 CM7 N57

HSUPA Probably no (Speedtest ~384 kbps, Xtremelabs ~1.5 Mbps)

850MHz Not supported

I'd like to point out that SS5 only gave me upload speeds of <400 kbps and on CM7 the results were the same with Ookla Speedtest.net. However, when I tested with the Xtremelabs Speedtest, I got upload speeds of 1.1-1.6 Mbps. Also the latency results of 90-120 ms (vs. 150-200 ms with SS5) with Net Ping indicate that HSUPA might be working.

From my experience Ookla Speedtest.net (especially the new version) is too unreliable to say anything about the upload speed. Also please note that typically networks need some data before switching from 3G to HSPA and will revert back to 3G if there is no data traffic during a short period of time (e.g. 3-8 sec in Finland). This is also why e.g. Net Ping requires you to run some data consuming application just before measuring the latency and could also be the problem with the Speedtest.net measurements.

Edit: alx007 below is probably right. However, I'm still wondering about the ping results, is it possible to achieve 90-120 ms latencies without HSUPA?

Edited by JCola

Guest alx007

ROM Used after going to GEN2 CM7 N57

HSUPA Yes (~1.5 Mbps)

850MHz Not supported

I'd like to point out that SS5 only gave me upload speeds of <400 kbps and on CM7 the results were the same with Ookla Speedtest.net. However, when I tested with the Xtremelabs Speedtest, I got upload speeds of 1.1-1.6 Mbps. Also the latency results of 90-120 ms (vs. 150-200 ms with SS5) with Net Ping indicate that HSUPA is working.

From my experience Ookla Speedtest.net (especially the new version) is too unreliable to say anything about the upload speed. Also please note that typically networks need some data before switching from 3G to HSPA and will revert back to 3G if there is no data traffic during a short period of time (e.g. 3-8 sec in Finland). This is also why e.g. Net Ping requires you to run some data consuming application just before measuring the latency and could also be the problem with the Speedtest.net measurements.

Sorry, I think the Xtremelabs Speedtest is faulty there, it just gave me 1mbit/sec download 3mbit/sec upload on my Wifi connection which should be 8mbit down 768 kbit up. I've never noticed any upload speed higher then 600-700 on my PC. Same test with ookla gave me 4mbit/600kbit which is very reasonable. It really depends which server you will use on the ookla version.

So I don't think we have any confirmed HSUPA phones until now. I've not seen any speedtest pic with 500kbit or more on upload, so I think HSUPA is not possible. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

On the reception I've noticed a quite good connection behaviour (reconnect after lost signal) on the radio which was included in the GEN2 TPT update, after testing with the SS RLS5 radio the connection behaviour was not as good. Signal strength on 3G seemed identical.

Guest Ralph Martin
At least some sort of test protocol should be described in the first post. ... For the last time, H-sign in statusbar doesn't stand for hsUpa (u=upload), it stands for hsDpa (d=download).

If you read the first post carefully (and I agree quite a few posters don't seem to do so), there IS a protocol, at least for HUSPA: HSUPA equates to upload speed of > 400kbps.

On the other hand I cannot give a protocol for 850MHz other than use of a mobile provider who only supports 850MHz. If you know a better way of testing this definitely, let us know, and I will modify the first post.

For the last time, H-sign in statusbar doesn't stand for hsUpa (u=upload), it stands for hsDpa (d=download).

I have added that to the first post.

Edited by Ralph Martin