Advent Vega

Guest Aircool

Guest Vansphone
As you obviously have trouble reading, I sent a genuine thanks to the members who helped and I again endorse that gratitude 100%.

Curious though, if this device is so good and you are so learned, why do you think it would have been necessary to take "several hours" for you to sort it out when Solidare understood my problem straight away and provided a simple link?

Thank you again Solidare.

All finished now?

I think the problem is that people are trying to offer you advice as well as trying to answer the question. The question was answered by the link. So now Market is on your daughters Vega.

The advice is, if you spend a little time and effort and install a new ROM the Vega will be a vastly improved machine.

As to the geek/no life insult if my family and friends read that comments about me they would just laugh, you have absolutely no idea.

Final note, notice how my post contained not one insult about you, not one assumption about your lifestyle.

Guest RockVacirca

Hi,

I too fell into the trap of believing what the PCWorld salesman said concerning the ability of the Advent Vega to access the Android Market, so I was pleased to see this thread, and that there is a solution.

However, before I embark on my first ROM upgrade I have a couple of questions:

The thread at XDA-developers assumes that the Vega to be flashed is starting with firmware version 1.8.

I tried to find the firmware version my Vega has, and eventually found my way to: Settings, About Device, where I can see the Model (Vega), Android Version (2.2), EC Version (1.9.0), Kernel Version (long), and Build Number (long).

Q1. Am I right in thinking that the EC Version is the same as the Firmware Version?

Q2. If the answer to Q1 is Yes, do you think there would be any problems with using the ROM flash software with version 1.9.0 of the Vega firmware?

Many thanks

PS Bought my Vega yesterday, and the price has now dropped to UK£199!! I also spent many hours trying to get Androd Marketplace to work, with no success. I downloaded the Vega manual, which is in pdf format, but with no pdf reader in the Vega I don't know how they expect you to read it, so I then tried to download Adobe Reader from the marketplace, but of course with no success, so I can see where other people's frustration comes from. Still, there are ways of asking for help...

Rock

Guest simonta
Hi,

I too fell into the trap of believing what the PCWorld salesman said concerning the ability of the Advent Vega to access the Android Market, so I was pleased to see this thread, and that there is a solution.

However, before I embark on my first ROM upgrade I have a couple of questions:

The thread at XDA-developers assumes that the Vega to be flashed is starting with firmware version 1.8.

I tried to find the firmware version my Vega has, and eventually found my way to: Settings, About Device, where I can see the Model (Vega), Android Version (2.2), EC Version (1.9.0), Kernel Version (long), and Build Number (long).

Q1. Am I right in thinking that the EC Version is the same as the Firmware Version?

Q2. If the answer to Q1 is Yes, do you think there would be any problems with using the ROM flash software with version 1.9.0 of the Vega firmware?

Many thanks

PS Bought my Vega yesterday, and the price has now dropped to UK£199!! I also spent many hours trying to get Androd Marketplace to work, with no success. I downloaded the Vega manual, which is in pdf format, but with no pdf reader in the Vega I don't know how they expect you to read it, so I then tried to download Adobe Reader from the marketplace, but of course with no success, so I can see where other people's frustration comes from. Still, there are ways of asking for help...

Rock

Hi Rock

Why don't you read the PDF on your PC? :)

Don't worry about firmware versions. You will only care about this later if you become an enthusiastic hacker :)

You just need to install the Modaco ROM and for this, there is only one tricky part which is installing the correct driver for the Vega. Please reivew the following, then you have what you are going to do straight in your head, come back for more help (if needed) and please remember to post which operating system you are using.

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...-driver-guides/

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...guides-how-tos/

If you are on Windows 7 or Vista, this can also help.

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...iver-installer/

Good luck

Guest trevor432990

And Rock if you do have problems can you start a new topic/thread and not add to this one because it brings back unhappy memories for most of us :)

Guest RockVacirca

Thanks for the replies guys.

@simonta

Reason I can't read the pdf on my PC is that I am away from home (I live in Germany, although I am British), but currently visiting the UK. Am I the only one who thinks it strange that to read the manual for the Vega you need a separate PC! :)

I followed the instructions on the xda forum, and it worked first time. The only hiccup was when I had downloaded the zip file and had to Copy or Move it to the software-updates folder. Pressing and holding the zip file brought up a sub-menu that allowed me to select Copy or Move, but on then navigating to the software-updates folder I got the sub-menu up again, expecting to find a Paste command, but there was none. Eventually I noticed an icon at the top that was not there previously, and that turned out to be the Paste icon. Not so intuitive, but, despite the hiccups, I am very pleased with the device (not so pleased with PCWorld salesmen, the folks who came up with the idea of an unreadable manual, and the sub-meu designer).

I write software, and produce manuals, and I think they let down a great device at a great price, with a few unwise development decisions.

The first hack for me to work on is to get this Android device working with Blue Mars, which renders on the cloud, but only to iPhone and iPad users currently.

Rock

Chapter & Metaverse

Edited by RockVacirca

Guest cobra111

Aircool It may be worthwhile letting your daughter do the talking as she's going to be the user, she will sharp pick up how to swap roms and other things, my 12 daughter could do this easily and could teach her old dad a thing or two on to mod iphones.

Guest adamsharpe
Aircool ... if you think this crowd are tetchy, you should try posting an SFQ on a car club forum !

Mild sarcasm here ... full fireproof suit required on some forums.

(SFQ = silly effing question)

:)

Guest GX390

I know how to flash CM7 to my Orange San Francisco and I'm 14 :) but I don't know how to flash a rom to the vega and I'm not going to try as it's ok with the Market hack installed and I don't wanna brick a £230 device when it's not actually mine :)

Guest Zebrahead
I know how to flash CM7 to my Orange San Francisco and I'm 14 :) but I don't know how to flash a rom to the vega and I'm not going to try as it's ok with the Market hack installed and I don't wanna brick a £230 device when it's not actually mine :)

Just so you know, learn about ROMs and flashing on the VEGA - for the 100000000th time, you can't brick it ^^

Zeb

Guest Vansphone

The first device I flashed was the Orange San Francisco, the second was the Vega. I found the Vega easier. You have to make sure you load the correct USB driver on your PC. If you use the one that comes with r8 the whole process takes a few minutes.

Guest psxnet
As you obviously have trouble reading, I sent a genuine thanks to the members who helped and I again endorse that gratitude 100%.

Curious though, if this device is so good and you are so learned, why do you think it would have been necessary to take "several hours" for you to sort it out when Solidare understood my problem straight away and provided a simple link?

Thank you again Solidare.

All finished now?

How very sad for you.

I can't believe you are the member of many other forums with an attitude like that, or at least not for long...........

I'm confident that you will have to try and find the time to stop your knuckles trailing on the floor behind you long enough to post another sarcastic reply, but sadly I won't be back to this thread to read it, so don't waste your time, better for you to make a donation to the forum for what you have got out of it eh ?, but I expect that won't happen will it.

( Sorry to the other members of the forum as this is only my second post, but some people just don't deserve bandwidth.)

Edited by psxnet