whats going on over here

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest frostmore
HTC and others often don't provide drivers when a framework changes that require different drivers for a new OS. There is just a bigger following and multiple developers willing to hack em together, although you are right, this phone could've been more successful if it launched with 2.1 and a near vanilla launcher. Dell released what they had to, like any other company. Releasing code ISN'T what is making HTC/Motorola/Samsung successful, and it ISN'T what is making Dell unsuccessful.

what is making dell unsuccessful in the streak 5 is the outdated software,the anal approach to releasing their kernal source/drivers(htc as well) and no new roms other than revisions of froyo.

had dell released the code/drivers,the modding community will have a field day cooking roms and may in turn drive up the desirability to own a streak 5.

take the hd2 for example,the versatility of this phone leaves a strong impression.the modding community and its followers would also consider buying another htc phone given the past performance of hd2 and the ease of flashing/cooking custom roms.

i dare say this may be the reason that contributed to the sales of htc phone.not the main reason but one of it.

however dell and many large companies who uses free software to make money don't give a hoot's ass about gpl and copyleft rules.to them,milking the masses is what they have in mind.....jus like microshaft.

Guest popetodd

Hey, that's the American business model.

You are a wallet and they will only do enough work to get you to open it long enough for them to take what they want from it.

After they have that you can take your empty wallet and piss off.

Guest alert_bri
Hey, that's the American business model.

You are a wallet and they will only do enough work to get you to open it long enough for them to take what they want from it.

After they have that you can take your empty wallet and piss off.

Don't give up your day job... It's far easier & cheaper to sell more to a satisfied and loyal customer than to find a new customer. I'm quite sure that Dell know this.

It's just a shame they haven't invested enough in Android to do a good job themselves, and don't want to open up to uncontrollable third party developers...

Thank God for Stephen, for doing a fantastic job with so little support. My Dell Streak would be long gone without his work.

Now I just wish they would get on with a decent Dell Streak Mk II... Faster processor, higher res screen, better battery life would be a worthy upgrade.

Cheers

Brian

Guest amcolian
I AM still working on the streak 5, though im working on gingerbread(cm7) for it hence the lack of updates as im having to try and hack my way around issues with libraries i dont have source for, most of which involve graphics libraries and audio - audio i may have a way around by using libraries from acer liquid which i tried a miui build from and it did boot and have sound :unsure: albeit quiet sound.

so please folks pass this around to people who ask

I HAVE NOT STOPPED DEVELOPING FOR STREAK5 its just being a royal pain to get working on gb although i can easily get it booting.

Dear Stephen,

does this mean you will not be working on a honeycomb rom for the streak 5? Earlier you had hinted that you might bypass gingerbread and work directly on a honeycomb version... Please don't take my question as an accusation or disappointment on my side... What I wouldn't give to be able to work on developing a ROM... And will definitely be happy with whatever you can cook up...

Heck I find it Hell to just work on my own device alongwith my regular job, you do it for 1000 Streaks at a time.

Do keep us updated :)

Guest rebski
Dear Stephen,

does this mean you will not be working on a honeycomb rom for the streak 5? Earlier you had hinted that you might bypass gingerbread and work directly on a honeycomb version... Please don't take my question as an accusation or disappointment on my side... What I wouldn't give to be able to work on developing a ROM... And will definitely be happy with whatever you can cook up...

Heck I find it Hell to just work on my own device alongwith my regular job, you do it for 1000 Streaks at a time.

Do keep us updated :unsure:

Stephen has said he will give us Honeycomb just as soon as it is possible to do so.

Why not just leave it at that?

BTW you can keep up to date and follow the tantalising progress here

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=dmonsterprod

Edited by rebski

Guest luckyauto

no matter how , i will always remember steve , when i having the great time with my dell streak.....

hope everyone , will do more donate and support to steve ,when any surprising for us , like what honeycomb dell streak as well

support support

Guest garbagecanman
Don't give up your day job... It's far easier & cheaper to sell more to a satisfied and loyal customer than to find a new customer. I'm quite sure that Dell know this.

It's just a shame they haven't invested enough in Android to do a good job themselves, and don't want to open up to uncontrollable third party developers...

Thank God for Stephen, for doing a fantastic job with so little support. My Dell Streak would be long gone without his work.

Now I just wish they would get on with a decent Dell Streak Mk II... Faster processor, higher res screen, better battery life would be a worthy upgrade.

Cheers

Brian

Well rumor was the dell opus one ie. streak 2 might be launched this year along with there other droid tablets???? We will see though, it supposed to have a 1.2 ghz dual core and a 1280x800 screen resolution or something close to that and some other minor junk... Lets pray on hope :unsure:

Dear Stephen,

Do keep us updated :)

Correct me if im wrong but steve had a port yes but the problem lies in the fact that HC isnt open source yet or something like that so steve can make 3.0 ports from sdk all day long but they will be worthless on not worthwhile, although im sure they will help him with the actual 3.0 when the time comes. So 2.3 would be a blessing none the less :P Keep it up steve.

ps. I tried to flash stock 351 and got froze at the logo so i flashed streakdroid 1.9 and wont look back ;)