cpg

cpg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade

... So, don't do that!

Agreed :)

oemsbl.mbn controls TPT mode, but it's more than just that, if oemsbl is broken then your phone is dead. it's what loads everything else in the radio partitions in the boot process, so it needs to know where those partitions are to work properly. there might be a partition table in it that has to match partition.mbn, like there is with appsboot.mbn & partition_zte.mbn

As i understood, OEMSBL is sort of a plugin to QCSBL (which is fixed and signed by qualcomm). It probably is the vendor-specific part to locate at least AMSS and possibly the rest of the software on the phone (and it also takes care of TPT and maybe a part of download mode). So it would make sense it has some partition information in it, though i haven't been able to find it so far.

The package I posted contains a Gen1 partition.mbn & no oemsbl.mbn, so if you flash it to your (windows upgraded or stock) Gen2 phone without including a Gen1 oemsbl.mbn then you've just killed your phone. It might work if you include the missing Gen1 .mbn files, but then you're going to have just the same risk of losing your IMEI as in a Gen1 downgrade.

It makes sense to include as little as possible for TPT. With what you describe in mind, TPTs should really never include oemsbl for the blade, as there only are 2 different versions and they both need a different partition.mbn. Currently, though, full gen2 phones won't even accept the TPT images you posted, so people will have to really do something wrong to accidentally put it in their phones :)

Attached is some simple source code that *might* create a valid image.bin. The format seems simple enough and many parts of the TPT flasher code haven't been changed. Again, make sure you know what you're doing if you decide to experiment with it (for example, try it first with high-level images, like boot.img/system.img), and please double-check the code if you're able to. The important part is the type id. Partition table locations are fixed and i gave them an id of 0, since those entries are ignored by the flasher logic.

Edit: attachment removed - newer version at this location

Edited by cpg, 08 May 2011 - 11:13 PM.

wbaw

wbaw

account closed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Agreed :)
As i understood, OEMSBL is sort of a plugin to QCSBL (which is fixed and signed by qualcomm). It probably is the vendor-specific part to locate at least AMSS and possibly the rest of the software on the phone (and it also takes care of TPT and maybe a part of download mode). So it would make sense it has some partition information in it, though i haven't been able to find it so far.
It makes sense to include as little as possible for TPT. With what you describe in mind, TPTs should really never include oemsbl for the blade, as there only are 2 different versions and they both need a different partition.mbn. Currently, though, full gen2 phones won't even accept the TPT images you posted, so people will have to really do something wrong to accidentally put it in their phones :)

Attached is some simple source code that *might* create a valid image.bin. The format seems simple enough and many parts of the TPT flasher code haven't been changed. Again, make sure you know what you're doing if you decide to experiment with it (for example, try it first with high-level images, like boot.img/system.img), and please double-check the code if you're able to. The important part is the type id. Partition table locations are fixed and i gave them an id of 0, since those entries are ignored by the flasher logic.

The windows flash program will probably accept the files & will brick a gen2 phone if they're flashed as they are.

The next version will include all the extra Gen1 .mbn files, not including them may be the cause of those two bricks too, or it might be as simple as the missing splash.img. Obviously flashing vital parts of the phone using something that does hardly any checks on the data isn't ideal, but we have to balance that against possible incompatibilities between the mbn files.

The next update to my tpt backup script will include all the mbn files too.

Edited by wbaw, 22 April 2011 - 04:44 PM.

mamboboy

mamboboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Holding down vol+ and menu just leaves the little green android guy stuck on mine, any idea why that's happening?

BTW, do I copy the image folder OR it's contents to the root of my sd?

wbaw

wbaw

account closed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Holding down vol+ and menu just leaves the little green android guy stuck on mine, any idea why that's happening?

BTW, do I copy the image folder OR it's contents to the root of my sd?

That's happening because you didn't create an image folder on your sd card, your phone is in fastboot mode, pull the battery

You extract the image folder to your sdcard, it should create an image folder ... but hold off for a while until I post my next update, it needs more testing.

mamboboy

mamboboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Ah I see , will do mate!

stoke1863

stoke1863

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Devices:Desire HD , ZTE Blade
i also get a flashing green man.

i have made an image folder aswell. It seemed to flash ok and my screen isnt a mess anymore

iKrautDroid

iKrautDroid

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Skate, HD2, Galaxy S

suerkraut ?

OMG
Yes, Sauerkraut!
Im German, you know, a Kraut!
Its so cool you mentioned it.
You made my day!

stoke1863

stoke1863

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
the new file got me into recovery! going to try flash cm7 now. thanks a lot for the update i was very worried at one point

iKrautDroid

iKrautDroid

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
OOh, an update :)
Im really tempted to upgrade now...
But I guess Ill wait for more updates...

wbaw

wbaw

account closed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

the new file got me into recovery! going to try flash cm7 now. thanks a lot for the update i was very worried at one point

Good, this new version should work more reliably. It worked fine for me.

I'll post a new gen2 to gen1 tpt later, but you will be able to use any gen1 tpt that includes all the gen1 .mbn files.

stoke1863

stoke1863

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Good, this new version should work more reliably. It worked fine for me.

I'll post a new gen2 to gen1 tpt later, but you will be able to use any gen1 tpt that includes all the gen1 .mbn files.

so i managed to get into recovery with the new files wiped all data and flashed the new CM7 but the phone seems to be stuck on the android logo now. how long does this normally take?

wbaw

wbaw

account closed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

so i managed to get into recovery with the new files wiped all data and flashed the new CM7 but the phone seems to be stuck on the android logo now. how long does this normally take?

It normally takes a couple of minutes, no longer than 10.

Did you flash the latest nightly 41? The older ones & CM 7.0 aren't Gen2 compatible. If it takes longer than 10 minutes, then pull the battery & boot into clockworkmod with vol- when you power on, then wipe & flash again, make sure it's a gen2 rom.

Edited by wbaw, 22 April 2011 - 06:10 PM.

stoke1863

stoke1863

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

It normally takes a couple of minutes, no longer than 10.

Did you flash the latest nightly 41? The older ones & CM 7.0 aren't Gen2 compatible. If it takes longer than 10 minutes, then pull the battery & boot into clockworkmod with vol- when you power on, then wipe & flash again, make sure it's a gen2 rom.

latest stable.

the android logo didnt go off so i wiped it all and tried a re flash but it still isnt working.

hopefuully using your gen 2= gen 1 tool will work later

mamboboy

mamboboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Latest v2 version worked perfectly. Took around 5-10 seconds to update (the screen with the green text), and then it restarted and went straight to Clockwork. Cyanogen installed in a couple of minutes... and all started up fine.

In the words of Elvis, Thank you very much!

iKrautDroid

iKrautDroid

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

latest stable.

the android logo didnt go off so i wiped it all and tried a re flash but it still isnt working.

I dont think stable works on gen1.
Try nightly 41.

wbaw

wbaw

account closed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

latest stable.

It works now ... CM7 stable doesn't work on Gen2, you want the latest nightly, nightly 41. Install that with clockwork.

_amano

_amano

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
That means that a "perfect" CM7 via TPT would be possible:

-automatically upgrades the handy to GEN 2
-N39 (without the GPS crash)
-made GEN 2 compatible from the beginning
-manually exchanged libaudio.so from N40+ (for the SIP routing bug and the muting bug)
-added gapps to the tpt image

stoke1863

stoke1863

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

It works now ... CM7 stable doesn't work on Gen2, you want the latest nightly, nightly 41. Install that with clockwork.

brilliant all up and running now it seems. using n42. are there some bugs in this becuase i hear people talk about gps issues

iKrautDroid

iKrautDroid

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

brilliant all up and running now it seems. using n42. are there some bugs in this becuase i hear people talk about gps issues

Hows the accelerometer on n42?
Still laging?

stoke1863

stoke1863

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Hows the accelerometer on n42?
Still laging?

i spoke too soon as my touch screen doesnt work now

what is the latest nightly that that works well with gen2?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users