Help a noob with his battery problem

Guest sjvega

Guest sjvega

Well hello, I've been using the modaco rom r8 for a few weeks already but in recent days I've found a problem:

When my battery is about 60%~ish and then I turn it off, the next power on the battery drains about 30%; but if I don't turn in off the battery drains normally.

I've read that it might be a refresh issue of the battery display, but using other apps (Such as Juice Plotter) shows the same behavior.

I'm pretty new to the whole android deal, and there's lot of stuff I still don't know, but I can manage myself through some well written tutorial :)

If some one can point me in the direction of a good tutorial to solve this (if there is such), I'd be thankful.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the bad English.

Guest trevor432990
Well hello, I've been using the modaco rom r8 for a few weeks already but in recent days I've found a problem:

When my battery is about 60%~ish and then I turn it off, the next power on the battery drains about 30%; but if I don't turn in off the battery drains normally.

I've read that it might be a refresh issue of the battery display, but using other apps (Such as Juice Plotter) shows the same behavior.

I'm pretty new to the whole android deal, and there's lot of stuff I still don't know, but I can manage myself through some well written tutorial :)

If some one can point me in the direction of a good tutorial to solve this (if there is such), I'd be thankful.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the bad English.

Hi there. It rather depends on what you mean by 'turn it off' do you mean press the power button once (this puts Vega into standby mode) or do you press and hold power button > 6 seconds (this puts Vega into shutdown mode) ? In standby mode the Vega will drain its battery faster than if it was shutdown. In the example you gave how much time elapsed between it being at 60% and when you powered it back up and found it was 30% ??

Guest nigelphilip
Hi there. It rather depends on what you mean by 'turn it off' do you mean press the power button once (this puts Vega into standby mode) or do you press and hold power button > 6 seconds (this puts Vega into shutdown mode) ? In standby mode the Vega will drain its battery faster than if it was shutdown. In the example you gave how much time elapsed between it being at 60% and when you powered it back up and found it was 30% ??

I too am experiencing the same issue. I turn off my vega (not stand by) then when i switch it back on even after only a few minutes the battery indicator is showing that the power has dropped from 55 or 60 % before to 25 - 30% ufter. I'm baffald?

Guest trevor432990
I too am experiencing the same issue. I turn off my vega (not stand by) then when i switch it back on even after only a few minutes the battery indicator is showing that the power has dropped from 55 or 60 % before to 25 - 30% ufter. I'm baffald?

Hmm very strange are you on R8 as well? Do you wait 2 mins for the battery reading to change as there is always a delay before the 'correct' reading is given? :)

Guest sjvega

Hello!

Might just be a battery stat error have you tried wiping them with clockwork?

I've haven't tried that yet, but I've read about it somewhere. Today may be a busy day so maybe I'll try it tomorrow.

I turn it off by holding the power button and then selecting "Power Off" from the menu that appears...

Hmm very strange are you on R8 as well? Do you wait 2 mins for the battery reading to change as there is always a delay before the 'correct' reading is given? :)

On one occasion I used it until it simply turned off from lack of charge, and it never updated to another value... it simply discharged.

Thanks for the responses!

Guest niko_3100

Hi guys, here from Argentina. I bought my Pov Mobii a week ago and I have the same issue... When I shut down my mobii and the battery was in 60-65% when I turn it on againt It shows me 20% more or less...

It seems a battery indicator problem... anyway is a bit of disappointing. Did you try to drain all the battery to see what happens???

Guest mxbob

Ive found the battery life to be superb

I lose 12-13% every 1 hour of video so by my reckoning that’s well over 7 hours of video which is great

I lose 5-6% every hour browsing the web so that over 9 hours heading on 10 hours general surfing which again is spot on

In standby mode (with wifi off) I seem to lose 2.5% an hour which gives me a little short of 2 days in standby

I don’t seem to lose any power when the unit is switched off

I have had accelerated drain after installing new roms but this has always been solved by charging to full then wiping the battery stats letting it run out and recharging to full and this would be the first thing id try if you are having issues

All those stats are running the corvus5 rom but im pretty sure its been more or less the same with every rom ive tried

Guest phil8715
Ive found the battery life to be superb

I lose 12-13% every 1 hour of video so by my reckoning that’s well over 7 hours of video which is great

I lose 5-6% every hour browsing the web so that over 9 hours heading on 10 hours general surfing which again is spot on

In standby mode (with wifi off) I seem to lose 2.5% an hour which gives me a little short of 2 days in standby

I don’t seem to lose any power when the unit is switched off

I have had accelerated drain after installing new roms but this has always been solved by charging to full then wiping the battery stats letting it run out and recharging to full and this would be the first thing id try if you are having issues

All those stats are running the corvus5 rom but im pretty sure its been more or less the same with every rom ive tried

It happens to me too. What I do when power off my Vega I hold it till the a menu that says shutdown device. Does this completely shutdown the device or does it put it into standby mode?

Guest mxbob
It happens to me too. What I do when power off my Vega I hold it till the a menu that says shutdown device. Does this completely shutdown the device or does it put it into standby mode?

that completly shuts down the device and it shouldnt use any power

Guest phil8715
that completly shuts down the device and it shouldnt use any power

That's what I thought. But something is causing the power to drop while switched off.

Guest mxbob
Same here powered off last night and was at 54% when I turned on this morning I was into the red... :)

odd

what rom are you all using? and have you tried resetting the battery stats?

Guest warriorscot

Are you getting this happening across multiple roms? Did you try clearing the battery cache, did it have an effect?

Are you all using PoV versions of the device if its a common device that might be the issue. If it is I have a sneaking suspicion it might have something to do with your 3g cards not shutting down properly and draining the battery.

Guest mxbob
Tried on multiple roms, I'm on cm7 latest gonna try the battery stats now and turn off for a bit and see what happens.

fully charge it before resetting the battery stats then let it run down completely then recharge it fully again

Guest Minimonkey
fully charge it before resetting the battery stats then let it run down completely then recharge it fully again

will try that and let you know cheers

Guest phil8715

I don't use 3g on mine, it's connected to my home wifi or via my ZTE Blade personal hotspot.

Does the issue only affect Vega's with the r8 rom or are other roms affected?

Edited by phil8715

Guest niko_3100
I don't use 3g on mine, it's connected to my home wifi or via my ZTE Blade personal hotspot.

Does the issue only affect Vega's with the r8 rom or are other roms affected?

My Mobii hast te official v1.10 firmware and has the same problem. Try with Rom Gambaro v0.2 to see if stills happens.

Guest mxbob
My Mobii hast te official v1.10 firmware and has the same problem. Try with Rom Gambaro v0.2 to see if stills happens.

i think what warriorscot said seems to make some sense

how many of you with this issue have versions with 3g? (whether you are using the 3g or not) and i noticed at least a couple of you have pov mobii's so maybe its somethign present in the mobii that isnt in mine (mine is an advent vega)

anyoen having this issue with a vega?

Guest MotherSpyder
i think what warriorscot said seems to make some sense

how many of you with this issue have versions with 3g? (whether you are using the 3g or not) and i noticed at least a couple of you have pov mobii's so maybe its somethign present in the mobii that isnt in mine (mine is an advent vega)

anyoen having this issue with a vega?

Yup, I've got an Advent Vega and have had this happen to me several times on several different ROMS.. mind you, it only started happening for me after stock 1.06 came out.. not sure why.

Either way, I've never satisfactorily gotten rid of the issue - but certainly wiping battery stats as per the several mentioned posts has helped a lot.. not in the sense that I'm getting longer life out of the battery,

but in the sense that I have fewer and smaller random drops in percentage when switching off than I used to. In this last week since clearing stats after a clean install of the CorvusNewbe_5 ROM, it's actually

looking pretty good. The battery life is the next morning what it said it was when I switched off the previous night. As an aside, I typically get between 6 and 9 hours of use on a charge, depending on what I'm doing.