Best ROM. R8, or Corvus5?

Guest Stevonator

Guest Stevonator

Hi,

Thursday is nearly here now, only three days untill I get my Vega! Can't wait!

So in everyone's opinions here. What is the best ROM to use? I've been drawn towards Corvus 5 due to the HoneyComb theme you can use with it. However I'm not sure whether R8 is more stable ...

What are the benefits of using either ROM and the disadvantages ?

Cheers :)

Stevonator

Guest spacecadetuk
Hi,

Thursday is nearly here now, only three days untill I get my Vega! Can't wait!

So in everyone's opinions here. What is the best ROM to use? I've been drawn towards Corvus 5 due to the HoneyComb theme you can use with it. However I'm not sure whether R8 is more stable ...

What are the benefits of using either ROM and the disadvantages ?

Cheers :)

Stevonator

They are both very good, i'm using corvus5 and it's rock solid and very fast, r8 is also very good but personally i prefer corvus5 but it is personal preference, after all you can change just about anything you want i.e keyboard, browser, launcher etc with either rom, but if i was going to recommend one i'd go with corvus5

Guest owenoliver1

Cyanogenmod 7 now its official too its android 2.3 so newer than either of these has the same overclock of 1.4ghz using setcpu and also its tweeked for tablets to make it look more like 3.0 and overall is better faster smoother and a huge community behind it

Guest harmohn

My preference is CM7 but it's not a stable release as yet, but still more than adequate IMO.

Recommend you try 2 or 3 various ROMs; there's bound to be one you're more naturally drawn to after a good play :)

Guest premieral

Have just come back to Corvus5 from cm7 , I know that cm7 is purported to be 2.3 android but I honestly can't see what difference that makes. I ran the rom again tonight and it is less laggy but still a light year away from corvus5. However as has already been said its personal preference and you will only know by playing with them all

Guest leemain88

corvus5 for me!! its stable and has a nice clean feel to it....have tried cm7 but still not as stable as i would like,maybe 1 to keep a eye on though!

Guest rferrett

I like corvus5 and for me it is the best Vega ROM out there at the moment.

However I suspect that in the long run CM7 will be the way forward until such a time as Honeycomb AOSP gets released. I kinda think that as CM7 becomes more stable then most ROM makers here like Corvus will start to base their new ROMs on the CM7 backbone, this tends to happen on other devices.

Of course all bets are off if/when google release the 3.0 AOSP which given the number of tablets coming to the market might well be sooner than we think!

For now, corvus5 all the way!

Guest bubba_169

My vote would be Corvus5. It seems the most solid to me and from when I tested a few days ago was the only one where games would work properly with the accelerometer. As an android game dev this is very valuable to me :)

Guest Stevonator

Wow you all like Corvus 5 :)

Okay then so here's another question, I flashed my HTC wildfire using the clockwork mod which I had to install manually. I also had to root it. Do I need to root the Vega and do I need to install clockwork mod? If not how would I go about installing Corvus 5 :(

Cheers peeps :):)

Guest premieral
Wow you all like Corvus 5 :(

Okay then so here's another question, I flashed my HTC wildfire using the clockwork mod which I had to install manually. I also had to root it. Do I need to root the Vega and do I need to install clockwork mod? If not how would I go about installing Corvus 5 :huh:

Cheers peeps :):)

clockwork mod is the easiest and preferred way to install, yes you need to be rooted :)

Guest warriorscot

Corvus 5 or .5 they are mostly identical other than the cosmetic differences. CM7 is definitely very very good but it does need some time to mature its still got some performance issues with some things.

Guest Stevonator

Lovely it should just be like flashing my wildfire then! I can't wait two days and counting !! :)

What's the Honeycomb theme like with Corvus5. I've seen pictures of it and it looks fantastic! Just wondering whether there's any disadvantages to having that to. Because to be honest I find it quite hard to believe that I'm going to be paying 200 quid for a device which in a couple of hours I can make to be one of the best on the market!

Has to be said, I haven't been looking forward to something as much as this in a long time! It's like that christmas feeling lmao :)

Edited by Stevonator

Guest warriorscot

Honeycomb theme is ok but its just a theme the one it comes with is actually quite nice.

Dead easy to flash just get CWM on there and you are sorted and the latest ROM manager supports it now so its all good.

Guest newbe5
Honeycomb theme is ok but its just a theme the one it comes with is actually quite nice.

Dead easy to flash just get CWM on there and you are sorted and the latest ROM manager supports it now so its all good.

Lol thank you! It seems that a lot of people are desperate to switch from GRID as soon as they load the rom :) that's totally fine, but at least try it for a while, you might like it!

Newbe5

Edited by newbe5

Guest Stevonator

Cool :) I've just got to say how knowledgeable and friendly everyone is here. I've used many forums, but left after a few days because of the regulars, but this one is genuinely good. You can ask any question and get a good explained response.

Cheers guys for all your help :) and girls if anyone was a girl who helped lol. :(

Guest Vansphone

I would agree with most of the other posts. I changed a few days ago from R8 to Corvus5 and I much prefer it. Overclocking makes a really difference in performance. However, even without overclocking, it is faster, WiFI performance is much better than R8 and it seems a little more stable.

So far the only downside is shorter battery life (I guess cause by the overclocking) and the theme. I would be interest read any recommendations for a good themes.

Guest premieral
Lol thank you! It seems that a lot of people are desperate to switch from GRID as soon as they load the rom :) that's totally fine, but at least try it for a while, you might like it!

Newbe5

not me i like the grid :)

Guest Stevonator

Newbe5

Lmao. Nothing personal :), the Grid looks cool I just wanted to know how easy it was to switch :( Also it's like Tron :huh: !!!

Edited by Stevonator

Guest newbe5
Lmao. Nothing personal :), the Grid looks cool I just wanted to know how easy it was to switch :) Also it's like Tron :( !!!

Yup! I love the whole tron style! No offense taken at all, I knew it wouldn't be for everyone when I made it, and android is all about doing things your own way!

Guest Yogimax
Yup! I love the whole tron style! No offense taken at all, I knew it wouldn't be for everyone when I made it, and android is all about doing things your own way!

Thanks for all your hard work creating the look and feel. My preference was just a bit more subdued!

Cheers

Guest warriorscot

You do need to wipe it for it to work reliably but if you use titanium backup you can keep programs and settings. Nandroid backup with CWM has its advantages but also its disadvantages you cant pick and choose what to restore like to can with titanium.