LG = junk?

Guest Christian Engen

Guest Christian Engen

I just went to my local retailer to inquire about the 2X. They said they'll order one if I want it, but they don't stock LG phones anymore because they used to get a whole bunch of returns. Apparently LG makes crappy phones that break all the time.

What are the odds of this being software/hardware? I understand the 2X software is junk, so if I get one I'll be using a custom ROM which will void my warranty for any hardware faults. Should I be worried?

Guest Thibble

Nah man, I was told the same regarding the 2x. Basically, just flash CWM on it, cook up your own ROM and you have yourself one heck of an awesome phone.

But yes, the stock ROM on the 2x sucks, its laggy and filled with bloatware.

As I said. Flash CWM, cook up your own ROM etc, and the phone is awesome. Trust me.

Guest PhilNelwyn

The biggest problem you could have with the hardware is a blacklight leakage around the top corners of the screen.

I don't remember of another hardware related problem (someone ?) and don't have any myself.

So if you buy one, just check if your screen is good... if it is, I think you can flash roms without worrying about warranty (but that is a personal opinion).

...oh, btw, you can still get back to original software and recover your warranty, if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by PhilNelwyn

Guest Stryke69

LG did make some crappy phones regarding the hardware in the past, but in my opinion, the new Optimus series is of really good quality.

Guest Chromed

True as the above poster said.. I work in a phonecompany, and we have never had LG in stock.. Simply because bad service record, products etc.. Neither did we have samsung for same reason. Then again, the enitre market has changed the last year.. HTC, LG and samsung are the new kings.. Nokia and SE are soon gone..

The 2X is a great phone, with great quality.. dont listen to others saying differently :mellow:

Guest goatee

I'm pleasantly surprised by the stock ROM - I've rooted it, and uninstalled apps I don't want, but having come from a Blade with CM7, the stock ROM is still an insane amount faster, I've found it to be stable, and who cares about the bloatware - just root, and uninstall :mellow:.

snip. . .

But yes, the stock ROM on the 2x sucks, its laggy and filled with bloatware.

snip. . .

Guest Christian Engen

I went back to the retailer today, having half-decided to buy one. No one in the shop would stop talking about how I shouldn't because something always breaks. They kept recommending the GalaxyS2. (I'm a bit "meh" regarding Samsung as a whole. Don't like the looks.)

If I could convince myself that all the returns they kept talking about were due to SW and not crappy components or shoddy assembly, I'd buy it today. As it is I'll wait and see what people think about using it in real life, and if someone manages to squeeze CM7 into a Sensation. That's the one I *really* want but don't want to wait for. ^^

Guest Qwertymon
I went back to the retailer today, having half-decided to buy one. No one in the shop would stop talking about how I shouldn't because something always breaks. They kept recommending the GalaxyS2. (I'm a bit "meh" regarding Samsung as a whole. Don't like the looks.)

If I could convince myself that all the returns they kept talking about were due to SW and not crappy components or shoddy assembly, I'd buy it today. As it is I'll wait and see what people think about using it in real life, and if someone manages to squeeze CM7 into a Sensation. That's the one I *really* want but don't want to wait for. ^^

its sounds like you've decided on the phone you want and your just getting impatient, I can vouch for the 2x, its fast and its good.

From what Ive read HTC have locked the bejebus out of the sensation bootloader so goodluck getting cm7 for it, with that said its gingerbread native so it may be hacked by the time 2.4 rolls around

Edited by Qwertymon

Have to agree with what most of the people here said, the biggest issue with the Optimus 2X really is just the software, there are some units with blacklight bleeding issues, but you can always try to demo the model before buying it, to make sure it has no blacklight bleeding.

Otherwise it's a solid phone, and currently it's probably the only decent hackable phone outside of the Google Android Experience devices, Motorola won't be lifting the encryption on bootloaders until the end of 2011, HTC have just said they're going to start using them, and Samsung devices have had a lot of issues with proprietary drivers that makes it hard to get the Stock Android experience, and we don't know if they'll otherwise go encrypted bootloaders or not.

Unless Google is about to announce a new Nexus phone with similar specs as the LG Optimus 2X or Motorola Atrix 4G, i'd stick to the Optimus 2X.

Guest johnnydj

thousands of people who take their O2X back, are people who don't know what a custom ROM is.

the hardware itself is really amazing, and with a custom ROM you can make it fly.

no one had hardware problems who took their phones back.

people who have no clue about it will just say: "OMG I bought this amazing dual core etc phone and it's s*** cause it's slow"

they don't know anything about it, so they just take it back.

and I must admit, it's pretty cool, because the price of the O2X dropped a lot because of this, and I bought mine on a pretty good price from a shop :mellow:

Guest Christian Engen

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm reasonably convinced it's solid now, so it's definitely an option. However:

its sounds like you've decided on the phone you want and your just getting impatient

This is completely true! :o I am impatient, but I've settled down a bit now so I'm going to wait at least until CM7 for O2X is ready. If I haven't heard of any progress with the HTC bootloaders by then I will get the 2X. Thanks for the advice. :mellow: