Avoid Currys

Guest RexMundo

Guest RexMundo

Just to let you know that I bought mine from Currys.

BIG MISTAKE.

I brought it home. Opened it up, put on the screen protector, switched it on, had a look at screen.. REALLY didnt like

the vewing angle, took it back the very next day (took screen protector off obviously)

They wouldn't take it back. It has to be unopened to accept a return.

Always buy online as you are allowed 14 days under law.

Last time I am buying anything from Currys. Bunch of thieves. It was the trafford centre branch.

BIG MISTAKE.

I brought it home. Opened it up, put on the screen protector, switched it on, had a look at screen.. REALLY didnt like

the vewing angle, took it back the very next day (took screen protector off obviously)

Last time I am buying anything from Currys. Bunch of thieves. It was the trafford centre branch.

Try your luck with another branch or call customer services, or even email their ceo direct-john somebody-search on the forum and it comes up? You've nothing to loose. Not sure you can call them a bunch of thieves though- surely they had one to play with, or somewhere elwe locally had one to look at?

Guest mintvilla

BIG MISTAKE.

sorry but this is obvious, would you of bought that vega if it had been opened? i have a feeling you wouldnt, so with that being the case, what should currys do with this £200 tablet now? its been opened and is second hand they cant put it back into stock? so what do you expect them to do with it?

And yeah you have 14days to return it online, because you cant inspect it, its the same with clothes/shoes if you buy in store, you have the chance to try on the clothes, so alot of stores dont give cash refunds because of this, however if you buy online you cant try them on, and are therefore entitled to a cash refund.

I dont know why everyone thinks they can return used items because theyve changed their minds, if its not a manufacutres fault, youve got no chance.

Guest YorkieUK

Tbh the viewing angle is well known, a little research either in the forums or the many on-line reviews or even playing with one in store would of shown this.

Surprised they wouldn't take it back though, I think you have at least 7 days minimum to return it undamaged.

Guest RexMundo
sorry but this is obvious, would you of bought that vega if it had been opened? i have a feeling you wouldnt, so with that being the case, what should currys do with this £200 tablet now? its been opened and is second hand they cant put it back into stock? so what do you expect them to do with it?

And yeah you have 14days to return it online, because you cant inspect it, its the same with clothes/shoes if you buy in store, you have the chance to try on the clothes, so alot of stores dont give cash refunds because of this, however if you buy online you cant try them on, and are therefore entitled to a cash refund.

I dont know why everyone thinks they can return used items because theyve changed their minds, if its not a manufacutres fault, youve got no chance.

Its easy to say "oh there is one in store.. inspect that"

However the one in the store has no internet connection, and no preloaded films, so its hard to actually tell.

And why shouldn't you be able to take it back?

You can take back clothes cant you? You COULD try them on, but you still can take them back.

Why should I be expected to sit for half an hour evaluating every aspect of a tablet in store?

I'd understand if they charged 10% restocking fee.. say to put a new sticker on it. Everything else in it was mint. Didnt even

unbox the charger.

Guest stoolzo

However the one in the store has no internet connection, and no preloaded films, so its hard to actually tell.

You can take back clothes cant you? You COULD try them on, but you still can take them back.

Why should I be expected to sit for half an hour evaluating every aspect of a tablet in store?

I'd understand if they charged 10% restocking fee.. say to put a new sticker on it. Everything else in it was mint. Didnt even

unbox the charger.

I had the same issue with Dixons, however I claimed the device was not fit for purpose rather than the fact i just didnt like it. You cant really use the viewing angle argument as there are devices in store to view, if you didnt view one then this is your fault rather than theirs. I got my money back as I claimed and I still believe rightly so that the audio quality is substandard. Dixons didnt agree but I managed to get customer services to authorise it over the phone and got my money back in store.

I still think £199 is a bargain even though the screen isnt great, I just thought that £299 for an ipad was a better bargain.

Guest montage

Take it back to a different store and say it started to smell like burning when u had it plugged in with your young child in the room unattended and you wish to return it and you'll leave it at that.

Works everytime!

Guest mintvilla

unbox the charger.

you can take clothes back if they still have the tags on, if they havnt been washed, and even then its down to different policy most stores wont give cash refunds, but the question still stands, would you of bought that if the box had been opened? i know i wouldnt of done, and again what can currys do now with a second hand device? its like buying a car, driving it home, releasing you dont like the colour, then driving it back and saying you want your money back? you have the chance to look at the colour of the car before you buy it so theres no excuses, and yove driven it, so its second hand. Same applies here, youve turned it on, youve used the battery, youve put your fingers on the screen, its now used and can not be deemed resellable. If you had your way No shops would exist as they all would of gone out of buisness refunding people who changed there mind or bought it on impulse.

And what a load of tosh, forced to sit there for half an hour evaluating? do you just buy anything you see or do you not think about items your going to purchase, for me i researched the vega and found out, good value for money, great procesor, decent battery life, bad screen, bad official firmware, no android market. I knew a custom rom would solved most of these issues and the only thing i needed to see for my self was the viewing angles, so i went and inspected it in store, found the viewing angle to be acceptable and bought one.

you had the chance to see the viewing angle your self regardless of it not being connected to the internet or having any videos to view, so you have no arguement.

Its not like your stuck with it they go for £200 quid on ebay so its not like your much out of pocket. Stop being a baby that thinks you can make your own rules and throws rattle out of the pram because you impulsed bought somthing, used it, then realised you dont want it.

Guest mintvilla
Take it back to a different store and say it started to smell like burning when u had it plugged in with your young child in the room unattended and you wish to return it and you'll leave it at that.

Works everytime!

you shouldnt leave young children in the room unattended lol. I dont mind people lying and saying there is a fault when there isnt one if you can get away with it, i just think its wrong and since i worked in retail for 6 years going through 6th form and uni, it annoys the hell outa me that some people think they are entitled to refunds, just because theyve changed their minds, and then have a rant at the shops and their employees (who dont make the rules, just follow them) and they think that its ok, and expect a bunch of sympathy on how evil currys are, and how hard done by they are. Like get real, and grow up and stop being such an idiot, you cant return used items!!

Guest nigelphilip
you can take clothes back if they still have the tags on, if they havnt been washed, and even then its down to different policy most stores wont give cash refunds, but the question still stands, would you of bought that if the box had been opened? i know i wouldnt of done, and again what can currys do now with a second hand device? its like buying a car, driving it home, releasing you dont like the colour, then driving it back and saying you want your money back? you have the chance to look at the colour of the car before you buy it so theres no excuses, and yove driven it, so its second hand. Same applies here, youve turned it on, youve used the battery, youve put your fingers on the screen, its now used and can not be deemed resellable. If you had your way No shops would exist as they all would of gone out of buisness refunding people who changed there mind or bought it on impulse.

And what a load of tosh, forced to sit there for half an hour evaluating? do you just buy anything you see or do you not think about items your going to purchase, for me i researched the vega and found out, good value for money, great procesor, decent battery life, bad screen, bad official firmware, no android market. I knew a custom rom would solved most of these issues and the only thing i needed to see for my self was the viewing angles, so i went and inspected it in store, found the viewing angle to be acceptable and bought one.

you had the chance to see the viewing angle your self regardless of it not being connected to the internet or having any videos to view, so you have no arguement.

Its not like your stuck with it they go for £200 quid on ebay so its not like your much out of pocket. Stop being a baby that thinks you can make your own rules and throws rattle out of the pram because you impulsed bought somthing, used it, then realised you dont want it.

Well said!

Guest RexMundo

You can take clothes home with a tag, and try them on.

There is NO way you can evaluate a tablet without using it. I stand by the argument that the one in the shop is not fit for this purpose.

As for your car argument its not relevant here. There is no way you can tell if a tablet has been used or for an hour, other than the sticker on the box. Even the one you bought would you know if someone took it back and they simply repackaged it, put another sticker and bobs your uncle? No you wouldnt. So that argument doesnt stick either. Hence why I thought a restocking fee would be more appropriate. Would I buy a tablet that someone's used for a couple of hours and didn't like? If it was a tenner cheaper? sure! However chances are, many of the tablets we buy are returns reboxed.

A further problem with your car argument is that cars have registered users with DVLA. When you buy a new car, it probably already has 100 miles on it but its "new" because its not been previously registered. Such analogies do not apply here.

You ranting over " No shops would exist as they all would of gone out of buisness refunding people who changed there mind or bought it on impulse" made me LOL. You are obviously not married, or if you are, your wife hates shopping. I get embaraced by what women get up to regarding refunds.

Guest m_liddell

BIG MISTAKE.

My Vega in nearly impossible to use effectively when plugged in to supplied DC charger. I feel there would be some grounds for returning based on this. The user experience should not vary based on having unit on charge or not. This is my biggest issue with the Vega

Guest mintvilla
My Vega in nearly impossible to use effectively when plugged in to supplied DC charger. I feel there would be some grounds for returning based on this. The user experience should not vary based on having unit on charge or not. This is my biggest issue with the Vega

see that is a fault! you have every right to take it back. As this should not happen. When mine is plugged in, it works just the same as when its not, take it back and get a repair or an exchange that you are entitled to.

Guest mintvilla
You can take clothes home with a tag, and try them on.

There is NO way you can evaluate a tablet without using it. I stand by the argument that the one in the shop is not fit for this purpose.

As for your car argument its not relevant here. There is no way you can tell if a tablet has been used or for an hour, other than the sticker on the box. Even the one you bought would you know if someone took it back and they simply repackaged it, put another sticker and bobs your uncle? No you wouldnt. So that argument doesnt stick either. Hence why I thought a restocking fee would be more appropriate. Would I buy a tablet that someone's used for a couple of hours and didn't like? If it was a tenner cheaper? sure! However chances are, many of the tablets we buy are returns reboxed.

A further problem with your car argument is that cars have registered users with DVLA. When you buy a new car, it probably already has 100 miles on it but its "new" because its not been previously registered. Such analogies do not apply here.

You ranting over " No shops would exist as they all would of gone out of buisness refunding people who changed there mind or bought it on impulse" made me LOL. You are obviously not married, or if you are, your wife hates shopping. I get embaraced by what women get up to regarding refunds.

"There is NO way you can evaluate a tablet without using it" - i agree, hence why there are on display. AND they have staff working there, if you wanted to see a video or connect to the internet to check performance you can ask the staff, and they will gladly do this for you, your arguement of you couldnt be bothered to try the one in store, and think you should be allowed to take any gadget home, try it, then return it is laughable, as yes i would know if its been repackaged up as most gadget have a special sticker on the first time someone opens it and it rips the box when you take it off, allowing staff to know its been opened. - you might want a repackaged item for a tenner off but it doesnt mean i do, and since currys dont offer this as company policy, then currys dont want to do this either.

And like i said, most shops dont give a cash refund, they give store credit or an exchange, but its at their choosing to do this, a tshirt is not the same as an electrical equipment. The same arguement is for laptops, you cant boot up a laptop, go through 1st time installation then take it back kos you dont like the screen when one is in the store on display.

Your arguement wasnt about having time to evaluate a tablet anyway, you said you took it back because of the poor viewing angles of the screen, so as long as the tablet was on display and had power (which it must of done for you to know it wasnt connected to the internet) then you must of seen the viewing angles so your whole arguement is irrelevant on that basis.

I am soon to be married, but worked in retail for 6 years, and ive met all the idiots like you who think they should be entitled to whatever they want, had some guy walk into my shop wearing a pair of jeans (that was filthy) and wanted his money back for them??

had another bloke who rang his lawyer up in the shop as he thought he was entitled to his money back, and he thought he knew the sales of goods act better than i did, he didnt listen to me, but after i spent 2 minutes talking to his lawyer, his lawyer told him theres was nothing he could do.

Guest Qwertymon

BIG MISTAKE.

Just the person you got was a tight arse, Its a code 5 product and some screens have issues, simply explain that its not to your satisfaction (and its code5) and you shouldn't have any problems, If you'd of come to me Id of refunded the vega but not the screen protector (which would of still led to this post :)). The dsgi company have made a good choice in making tablets code5 (from an internal perspective, it makes it much easier for non droid users to deal with tablets)

But, like most things, it is not a try and buy service, the person that declined the refund is entitled to do that, your at the mercy of the staff, because in theory your details have been on the device it needs to be sent for blancco, which to my knowledge the company has no way of doing with the vega, so it should be a refund or a refund to credit.

The biggest advise I can give you is dont act like a complete cock to the staff member, as a Techguy, I can tell you the thing that makes me not helpa customer is them being directly rude to me, if a customer is civil I will literally do my best for them every time, but if they come in fing and blinding to me directly like everything is my problem I will stick to the rules exactly.

Guest mintvilla
Just the person you got was a tight arse, Its a code 5 product and some screens have issues, simply explain that its not to your satisfaction (and its code5) and you shouldn't have any problems, If you'd of come to me Id of refunded the vega but not the screen protector (which would of still led to this post :)). The dsgi company have made a good choice in making tablets code5 (from an internal perspective, it makes it much easier for non droid users to deal with tablets)

But, like most things, it is not a try and buy service, the person that declined the refund is entitled to do that, your at the mercy of the staff, because in theory your details have been on the device it needs to be sent for blancco, which to my knowledge the company has no way of doing with the vega, so it should be a refund or a refund to credit.

The biggest advise I can give you is dont act like a complete cock to the staff member, as a Techguy, I can tell you the thing that makes me not helpa customer is them being directly rude to me, if a customer is civil I will literally do my best for them every time, but if they come in fing and blinding to me directly like everything is my problem I will stick to the rules exactly.

Agree 100% of that statement - people think, and ive seen on this forum, that if you "give em hell" and demand to see a manager and all that you get what you want, when really the other way round works best.

Though i do disagree with your first statement, there is nothing wrong with his screen, he just doesnt like the screen, there might of been issues with some vega's screens, and if he has an issue with it, as in its a faulty screen, then fine, he deserves a full refund. However, him just not liking the viewing angles of the screen is not fit to give a refund, hence why the product was on display.

Guest warriorscot

You do get refurbished(basically opened and returned) from most of the big retailers especially the online ones. So the not being able to sell them is a bit of a strong statement they actually sell very well in many cases and you can actually have it reboxed after testing and sell as new in many cases as long as the testing is done by the manufacturer(most companies don't go to the hassle).

But if you buy in store with the opportunity to try it you really don't have a lot of recourse in the respect towards not liking it. Viewing angles are something you can see on a display model with no difficulties at all and its not got bad viewing angles it actually uses a standard netbook screen so its pretty comparable to other devices in its price range.

If its defective you can take it back thats pretty obvious return or exchange just not liking it is a little out of order if you had the chance to try it before you bought it which you did. If you were not sure you should have bought online and then you could have just returned it to the store. And putting on the screen protector, what kind of logic was there in that action. Mind you I've had two vegas and both of them didn't have anything special on the box you could have completely repackaged one and not noticed the difference between a new one.

Guest premieral

+1 to that

Guest phil-t

I think Curry's are OK, expecting a refund for no other reason buy you don't like it is a bit hard for them to process, you are better off using a legitimate 'fault' claim such as the jittery touch screen which is really an inherent fault, but IMO grounds to take it back under..

I bought a new Vega 2 days ago, and took it back twice in the first 24 hours, no quibbles, just swapped over for a new one..

Mind you, the ones I bought are all what I would class as re-manufactured, the first one had some light scratches on the back, lots of really bad finger marks etc, so I took it back, the second looked a bit better, but still obvious signs of some clammy/greasy fingers having being all over it, but it had a dead pixel, the third is cleaner, just greasy finger prints around the very obviously taken off and badly re-applied screen covering..

I think a lot of remaining stocks have been opened, flashed with 1.09 by some heavy handed/greasy fingered individuals, and then re-boxed. I can understand this to get the latest firmware on, they are borderline refurbed condition, but at £199, I guess you can't be too fussy, I was glad to just get one with a reasonable touchscreen performance, no dead pixels etc..

Guest RexMundo
You do get refurbished(basically opened and returned) from most of the big retailers especially the online ones. So the not being able to sell them is a bit of a strong statement they actually sell very well in many cases and you can actually have it reboxed after testing and sell as new in many cases as long as the testing is done by the manufacturer(most companies don't go to the hassle).

But if you buy in store with the opportunity to try it you really don't have a lot of recourse in the respect towards not liking it. Viewing angles are something you can see on a display model with no difficulties at all and its not got bad viewing angles it actually uses a standard netbook screen so its pretty comparable to other devices in its price range.

If its defective you can take it back thats pretty obvious return or exchange just not liking it is a little out of order if you had the chance to try it before you bought it which you did. If you were not sure you should have bought online and then you could have just returned it to the store. And putting on the screen protector, what kind of logic was there in that action. Mind you I've had two vegas and both of them didn't have anything special on the box you could have completely repackaged one and not noticed the difference between a new one.

Just to clarify.. I did not ask to refund the screen protector!! I am not an idiot.

I put it on cause I didn't want to damage the screen before I even switched it on. Then took it off and chucked it when I decided to take it back. I didn't want that refunded (even though they charge a ridiculous amount for them).

I still disagree that you can evaluate viewing angle at store. Different colors have different angle and background light affects it as well.

It looked ok in store. When I took it home, in the dark, it was much much worse. Especially dark colours in a dark room.. I couldnt get them to look normal unless I was looking at it exactly perpendicular. Even +-10 degrees would mess it up bigtime.

Guest lydius

Imho the store should take it back if you change your mind, say inside two weeks or so. My favourite pc store accept any pc or laptop or even hw or sw pieces back if they are undamaged, within 30 days. No questions asked. Of course there is a limit of decency, like no more than 10 times in a year, i'm not sure, but still... and the used parts are sealed back and sold with a nice discount.

Guest RexMundo
Just the person you got was a tight arse, Its a code 5 product and some screens have issues, simply explain that its not to your satisfaction (and its code5) and you shouldn't have any problems, If you'd of come to me Id of refunded the vega but not the screen protector (which would of still led to this post :mellow:). The dsgi company have made a good choice in making tablets code5 (from an internal perspective, it makes it much easier for non droid users to deal with tablets)

Never asked or expected screen protector to be replaced. I even bought a bag and didn't ask them to replace that either. Nor did I feel I had the right of a refund, nor was I impolite to them. She called boss.. boss said no.. end of story. Aint gonna create a scene over 200 quid. I know my rights.. However, all other major shops WOULD refund/exhange (I was prepared to spend 100 more and get another tablet). So I did have an expectation that they would or atleast gimme a voucher/credit note to keep the customer. With such policies they are hurting themselves. I 'd never buy anything from bricks and mortar shops now. Why would i?

Forgot to ask.. whats Code 5?!!!

Edited by RexMundo

Guest cupracing

I agree you should be able to return it, I mean they can repackage it pretty easily. That said I was aware of their policy before purchasing and had a little play in the shop. I was happy to buy based on this and the rave reviews the vega has been getting. It really is a brilliant tablet, I'm glad I went for one over the ipad as its faster and has no internet restrictions which frustrated me with the ipad. Plus its alot cheaper. The screen isn't so bad and the viewing angle is comparable to my laptop just not as good as the ipads.