Weak GPS

Guest supertwisted

Guest supertwisted

Well, think I've found the first quirk with my S. The GPS lock is very weak, picking up maybe 2/3rds of the sats that my trusty old san fran will lock onto.

I have a 100 mile drive tomorrow, so will put it to the test and see how well it copes.

Guest Searcher2
Well, think I've found the first quirk with my S. The GPS lock is very weak, picking up maybe 2/3rds of the sats that my trusty old san fran will lock onto.

I have a 100 mile drive tomorrow, so will put it to the test and see how well it copes.

Oh dear! The main reason for me going 'Android' is for the GPS. The San Francisco seemed fine in that department... but I decided to send it back under 7 day distance selling when this offer on the Desire came up. I haven't sent it back yet - maybe I should hang fire!?

Guest supertwisted
Oh dear! The main reason for me going 'Android' is for the GPS. The San Francisco seemed fine in that department... but I decided to send it back under 7 day distance selling when this offer on the Desire came up. I haven't sent it back yet - maybe I should hang fire!?

Well I will repost the results of my journey down to Kent tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, GPS seems to work, but the signal lock seems weaker than I've seen on other android devices. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the alu unibody is obfuscating the reception slightly.

It's still a collosul upgrade over the San Fran though, and at the total price for the deal posted on HUKD, it's a steal.

Guest Searcher2

How did the GPS go? I read on another forum that after 40 minutes of using GPS/Google maps one blokes phone shut down. I really hope I am not downgrading by moving from a San Francisco!!

Guest supertwisted
How did the GPS go? I read on another forum that after 40 minutes of using GPS/Google maps one blokes phone shut down. I really hope I am not downgrading by moving from a San Francisco!!

Well it worked fine, though I only used it for half and hour as I didn't want to flatten my battery. I'm heading back tonight so will try a longer test.

Guest supertwisted

Ok, did the trip home last night. No crashes or lock ups of any kind. GPS worked fairly consistently, but it did drop the signal a couple of times.

Now to be fair, I don't have a phone mount so it was sitting in the cup holder with a partially obscured view of the windscreen. So with a proper mount it may have been fine. However the san fran always worked even if it was buried in the door pocket.

So if you want rock solid GPS, my experience says keep the san fran. Personally, it isn't so important to me so I'm keeping the desire.

Guest Searcher2
Ok, did the trip home last night. No crashes or lock ups of any kind. GPS worked fairly consistently, but it did drop the signal a couple of times.

Now to be fair, I don't have a phone mount so it was sitting in the cup holder with a partially obscured view of the windscreen. So with a proper mount it may have been fine. However the san fran always worked even if it was buried in the door pocket.

So if you want rock solid GPS, my experience says keep the san fran. Personally, it isn't so important to me so I'm keeping the desire.

Thanks for that. I am edging towards keeping the San Francisco. I know its GPS capabilities. I can use Memory Map on it for 8 hours + on one battery charge and I can get a GPS lock from within my house too.

I can get the £80 back for my SF and it seems that I can get £260-£270 for the Desire S and am struggling to justify the £160 difference. My netbook cost less than the difference in the 2!

Guest trishmac
Thanks for that. I am edging towards keeping the San Francisco. I know its GPS capabilities. I can use Memory Map on it for 8 hours + on one battery charge and I can get a GPS lock from within my house too.

I can get the £80 back for my SF and it seems that I can get £260-£270 for the Desire S and am struggling to justify the £160 difference. My netbook cost less than the difference in the 2!

I guess that's a hefty price difference especially if you're losing the main feature you want. I can't say I've had that GPS problem, but in fairness haven't really put it to the test. My SF was a little temperemental, and now my bro has it..and grumbles occasionally but in general it's a competent little dude for the money. Still have a wee fondness for it, but have no regrets at upgrading. Whatever you decide..hope all goes well, Trish

Edited by trishmac