What's the screen like outsite?

Guest Scottland

Guest Scottland

Is there any feedback from anywhere on the screen brightness outsite? My Desire is terrible outside with it's AMOLED screen, just wondering if the new SuperAMOLED on the S2 is significantly better than say, an O2X? :mellow:

Guest tone-fu
Is there any feedback from anywhere on the screen brightness outsite? My Desire is terrible outside with it's AMOLED screen, just wondering if the new SuperAMOLED on the S2 is significantly better than say, an O2X? :mellow:

The screen isn't too bad outside, but in direct sunshine it suffers quite a lot. There is a feature on the video player for improving visibility outside but I haven't tried that yet.

Guest tone-fu
How would you say it compared to other phone screens youve used?

It's definitely an upgrade on HTC's current range of SLCD's. It's very sharp, colours are vivid. I'm not sure it fully beats the dreaded iPhone 4's 'retina display' but it's the best display I've come across on an Android device (and I go through a lot of phones in the course of my job).

My biggest bones of contention with the thing at the moment are the price, the lack of text reflow in the browser when you use pinch to zoom, the lack of a hardware shutter key for the camera,the wishy-washy Wi-Fi reception and the general size, but that could be down to me having small hands. Other than that I can't complain.

=)

Guest Scottland
It's definitely an upgrade on HTC's current range of SLCD's. It's very sharp, colours are vivid. I'm not sure it fully beats the dreaded iPhone 4's 'retina display' but it's the best display I've come across on an Android device (and I go through a lot of phones in the course of my job).

My biggest bones of contention with the thing at the moment are the price, the lack of text reflow in the browser when you use pinch to zoom, the lack of a hardware shutter key for the camera,the wishy-washy Wi-Fi reception and the general size, but that could be down to me having small hands. Other than that I can't complain.

=)

£400 on o2 payg isn't so bad :mellow:

Surely text reflow is the same as other android devices, or have they broken it?

Size was a biggy for me, but I had a look at a dummy yesterday and it was barely any bigger than the O2X. They don't seem to do 'normal' sized high end phones anymore.

Guest JamesKing
£400 on o2 payg isn't so bad :mellow:

Surely text reflow is the same as other android devices, or have they broken it?

Size was a biggy for me, but I had a look at a dummy yesterday and it was barely any bigger than the O2X. They don't seem to do 'normal' sized high end phones anymore.

Text reflow only works on double-tap-to-zoom, not pinch to zoom :\

See here

Guest JGJones
Text reflow only works on double-tap-to-zoom, not pinch to zoom :\

See here

Why not just get Opera Mobile browser? The text-flow "just works" there along with pinch to zoom etc (in fact nothing else come close to how well Opera does it on Android as far as I've seen) and it's a damn good browser too.

Guest tone-fu

Yeah, the third party browsers take the bother out of the text reflow issue, but it'd be nice to have it working out of the box, you know? I've got quite used to the size too. It helped to put a silicon jacket on the thing, it doesn't feel so slippery then! :mellow:

• 1 month later...
Guest hong99
Is there any feedback from anywhere on the screen brightness outsite? My Desire is terrible outside with it's AMOLED screen, just wondering if the new SuperAMOLED on the S2 is significantly better than say, an O2X? :)

The screen is fine outside field use. But i found the best phone for outside use in direct sunlight, to be the Sony Ericsson Arc. Which is excellent in direct sunlight without the need to set the brightness settings to max. But vivid colors, true blacks and viewing angles are better for Galaxy S-2.

Guest maedox

After having used HTC Magic, Nexus One, LG Optimus 2X and the Galaxy S II, the SGS2 is definitely the best. The O2X is also good, but there no problem using the SGS2 in direct sunlight. Obviously the colors won't be as good and you might squint a little if you wear dark sunglasses.