Galaxy S II (XWKDD) insecure boot (for rooting)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul

I have created an insecure boot image to go with my shiny new Galaxy S II.

Points to note...

• This is created for, only tested on and should probably only be used on PDA version XWKDD (check with *#1234#)
  • This is an insecure boot image - it allows adb shell root and adb remount
  • This does not root your device, but it allows you to push the su binary and Superuser APK required for root
  • This image also disables the flash-recovery script, and replaces it with a call to /data/local/custom-scripting.sh if it exists
  • This image needs to be installed from a Windows PC

• Download and extract this zip (MD5: 7d7c9e2bc10aec1b5e36d4122ebc6917)
    • Download and install Samsung KIES (this installs the required drivers)
    • Turn your device on with volume down, action and power pressed - press 'up' at the warning prompt
    • Run the Odin EXE you just extracted from the ZIP
    • Click the button labelled 'PDA', and select the TAR file you just exrtracted from the ZIP. Do NOT change any other options!
    • Click Start. When the process is complete, your device will reboot and you're done!
    • As usual, you do of course undertake this process at your own risk, but I have successfully carried it out on my own device. :mellow:

Superuser can be found in this topic, after installing the insecure boot you can push the files as required.

Cheers!

P

Guest DickieUK

just as a note, after flashing the kernel, you can root with superoneclick, i used v1.5.5, although i used Chainfires kernel, not this one, but i'd assume there is no difference...

Also, I was on KDA when i flashed Chainfires KDD, and have had no issues so i'd assume the same for this if anyone is worried about it. Plenty of others have done the same with no problems, just make sure ONLY 'Auto Reboot' and 'F. Reset Time' are selected in ODIN...

Have fun peeps!!

Dickie

Guest robot1000

Quick newbie question:

If I were to do this, would I be able to revert back to the O2 Factory ROM (warranty purposes)?

Guest Junior Bear

apologies if I cause an off topic conversation here. but does this mean that maybe in the near future honeycomb

may be flashed to this phone. very quick work Paul. top man. problem is I have no idea what this is lol. I was confident in messing with the zte. but seeing as this is my new toy and is brilliant already how it is. I think ill wait to see what development in the future brings :-D

Guest qbus

Just to let know:

I've just rooted my device with XXKDI firmware (26th of April :mellow:) using boot Paul's image from XWKDD and SuperOneClick root. Everything works fine!

Guest pbinks
Just to let know:

I've just rooted my device with XXKDI firmware (26th of April :mellow:) using boot Paul's image from XWKDD and SuperOneClick root. Everything works fine!

Thanks for that info... now all done here too :o

I was worried for a moment that Titanium Backup didn't get root rights as it complained, but it was just that busybox needed installing ;-)

Guest arahmank

hey, i used the insecure boot and was able to root the device using super one click.

now i have a question, the new FW found online which is XWKDF, would it cause any problem if i flashed it via Odin AFTER using the insecure boot posted here? thanks

Guest twon

Any one know how to mount the system partition for read,write?

Partitions:

179 0 15387648 mmcblk0

179 1 20480 mmcblk0p1

179 2 1280 mmcblk0p2

179 3 1280 mmcblk0p3

179 4 8192 mmcblk0p4

179 5 8192 mmcblk0p5

179 6 8192 mmcblk0p6

179 7 102400 mmcblk0p7

179 8 16384 mmcblk0p8

179 9 524288 mmcblk0p9

179 10 2097152 mmcblk0p10

179 11 12066816 mmcblk0p11

179 12 524288 mmcblk0p12

Guest joelee

Thanks Paul, it works flawlessly on my new SGS2. Looking forward for the SGS2 MCR soon.

Any one know how to mount the system partition for read,write?

On your Mac or PC

adb remount
On your phone terminal
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /system