Signal Performance

Guest markdotpeters5

Guest markdotpeters5

Hiall,

have a Galaxy S2 (which is AWESOME!) but have noticed some signal performance issues. I'm using 3 which is normally excellent in my area, although I have noticed they've been having a few issues lately, so it could be that...

However in a place in town I would normally expect to get a decent connection (phoned showed 2 bars and H) the call was breaking up.

This isn't an isolated incident, so just wondered how other people have found it signal wise?

cheers!

Guest StickyGeko
Hiall,

have a Galaxy S2 (which is AWESOME!) but have noticed some signal performance issues. I'm using 3 which is normally excellent in my area, although I have noticed they've been having a few issues lately, so it could be that...

However in a place in town I would normally expect to get a decent connection (phoned showed 2 bars and H) the call was breaking up.

This isn't an isolated incident, so just wondered how other people have found it signal wise?

cheers!

your not the only 1, i have an o2 sgs2, unlocked, i use my old bb and get 3g full bars i swap it to my sgs2 1 second its full H next its 2 bar G - my area for o2 is excellent... but i only get 1 bar but then none and its up and down, ive posted on xda too and no1 else seems to have this issue, im thinking i may have a faulty set

Guest markdotpeters5
your not the only 1, i have an o2 sgs2, unlocked, i use my old bb and get 3g full bars i swap it to my sgs2 1 second its full H next its 2 bar G - my area for o2 is excellent... but i only get 1 bar but then none and its up and down, ive posted on xda too and no1 else seems to have this issue, im thinking i may have a faulty set

I think I need to take my iphone out with me before I sell it and play spot the difference :-)

Guest hmptec
Hiall,

cheers!

Signal quality fine for me.

Guest pbinks
Signal quality fine for me.

Me too, but I've only had the phone at work and home so will see how it gets on as it has it's first weekend away...

Guest Kouk2002

I'm also having issues though I'm going to be porting my old number so I have yet to use the phone for calls. However I'm having issues with the speeds I'm getting for 3g and hsdpa. So far using speedtest.net app I have not managed better than 210Kbps and normally around 35Kbps. Which to be fair is s***, I'm on o2 and had a few people at work run the test as well. Iphone 4 on 3 got 1+Mbps, iphone 3gs on o2 got 500+Kbps, another friend used his g2 and got near 1Mbps, think he said o2. Anyway the point is all stood next to each other and I scored 210Kbps and tried again got 100+Kbps. After checking o2 coverage for my area I should have a worse signal at home but how can 35Kbps be right. It's barely a 5 minute drive to work so it ain't that far. When not connected wirelessly I can't use the email app the speeds too poor it always fails connection error. Youtube barely loaded 1 minute 30 seconds of a 3 minute 30 second clip in the space of 30 minutes which was my break at work. So it's pretty bad. I like the phone dispite it being my first full touch screen phone, but is the poor connection/speed a fault on mine or is it on all galaxy s2's as I have at least proven that o2 can get far better speeds in my area.

Guest ellykc

Hi All,

New to this forum lark, but thought I'd let you know my experience... :unsure:

Last Monday, I changed network from Vodafone to O2 and got the Galaxy S 2.

Absolutely love the phone but have been experiencing signal issues ever since.

As I am still in my 14 day 'cool off' period, I wanted to make sure that I sorted the issue out, as I need my mobile for work and need a good signal as much as possible. I know our area is a good one for O2, and my fears that something was wrong was verified when I went to central London and had the same issues. The phone is basically registering fill signal one minute and dropping out the next.

I telephoned O2 who verified that my area was a strong coverage area for O2 so they suggested that I go to store and swap my sim card. Pain in the butt, but did it. The store said that if this didn't work, then they would replace the handset. I still had the problem. So off I trotted to the O2 store again and they have swapped my hand set for a spanking brand new one and it's doing the same thing. This now leads me to believe that it is an inherent problem to this model.

I have just put my husband's Vodafone sim in and have the same thing again, so I'm now totally sure that this is not O2. Vodafone has always been fine in our house.

Now I'm faced with the dilemma of replacing the phone with something completely different. I don't want to - I love this phone.

I believe that the i-phone had a similar problem - how did that get sorted? Is it something that can be fixed?

Cheers.

Guest Kouk2002

Tried my other sims, vodafone and a 3 sim from a dongle. The vodafone sim performed just as bad as the o2 one, speed test verified this though the upload kept failing. The 3 sim is another story at my house were o2 was only getting less than 100Kbps, the 3 sim got 1.7Mbps download speed. So it must be some fault off the network's since 3 worked fine though it's not like I can use it much since it's only got internet allowance. Any ideas, guys.

Guest tris l
Tried my other sims, vodafone and a 3 sim from a dongle. The vodafone sim performed just as bad as the o2 one, speed test verified this though the upload kept failing. The 3 sim is another story at my house were o2 was only getting less than 100Kbps, the 3 sim got 1.7Mbps download speed. So it must be some fault off the network's since 3 worked fine though it's not like I can use it much since it's only got internet allowance. Any ideas, guys.

Not sure if it depends what firmware you have. Coming from a Nexus One, the Galaxy 2 seems superb to me for signal strength and download speed. I've been getting 5 mb download speed for the first time. On 3, as I was with the Nexus One. :unsure:

Guest checci

Hi Guys,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 on Orange.

Been searching the internet since I got my Galaxy S2 a week ago but been unable to find anything til now.

Basically, took my phone to work with me after receiving it in the post and was unable to gain internet access other than Wi-fi. Also very poor signal and 50% of the time no signal at all.

Same deal at college, spent the whole day trying to gain access to the internet without wi-fi and was successful for a whole 30 seconds or so which is so poor. Signal strength mostly non-existant here, too, 90% of the time.

At home signal strength is slightly better and I can get online without the wi-fi 50% of the time, however signal strength still low and randomly dropping the network and having no signal quite a lot. When the phone drops the network it starts saying it's in flight mode even though I haven't selected this, guess it just does this automatically when there's no reception or something??

Another problem is the phone keeps randomly resetting itself or something?? It like freezes or something and then the screen goes off and then it makes the start-up noise and the Samsung symbol comes on the screen, then I get the scanning for media messages etc.

One more thing battery life is EXTREMELY poor. Worse than my iPhone 3G. With normal usage I don't even get through the day with it, the battery will be flat by about 8pm.

I'm so disappointed because I absolutely adore this phone, problems aside. Waited 2 months from my upgrade date to be able to pre-order it. If this is happening across the handsets hopefully Samsung will sort it with a firmware update. Thought it was my network at first (first time with Orange) but no signal can be THAT bad in so many different areas (there are at least 8 miles between my home, workplace and college, they are all in completely different places).

Guest sythlord2001
Hi Guys,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 on Orange.

Been searching the internet since I got my Galaxy S2 a week ago but been unable to find anything til now.

Basically, took my phone to work with me after receiving it in the post and was unable to gain internet access other than Wi-fi. Also very poor signal and 50% of the time no signal at all.

Same deal at college, spent the whole day trying to gain access to the internet without wi-fi and was successful for a whole 30 seconds or so which is so poor. Signal strength mostly non-existant here, too, 90% of the time.

At home signal strength is slightly better and I can get online without the wi-fi 50% of the time, however signal strength still low and randomly dropping the network and having no signal quite a lot. When the phone drops the network it starts saying it's in flight mode even though I haven't selected this, guess it just does this automatically when there's no reception or something??

Another problem is the phone keeps randomly resetting itself or something?? It like freezes or something and then the screen goes off and then it makes the start-up noise and the Samsung symbol comes on the screen, then I get the scanning for media messages etc.

One more thing battery life is EXTREMELY poor. Worse than my iPhone 3G. With normal usage I don't even get through the day with it, the battery will be flat by about 8pm.

I'm so disappointed because I absolutely adore this phone, problems aside. Waited 2 months from my upgrade date to be able to pre-order it. If this is happening across the handsets hopefully Samsung will sort it with a firmware update. Thought it was my network at first (first time with Orange) but no signal can be THAT bad in so many different areas (there are at least 8 miles between my home, workplace and college, they are all in completely different places).

I had exactly the same problem with mine. However i know there is nothing wrong with orange network as I am already with them, and bought this as a second contract. Might be a standard think or firmware issue will keep an eye on it I should get my replacement handset tomorrow.

Guest markdotpeters5

Yeah - in fairness mine's nowhere near that bad!

It's fine most of the time, but occasionally when loading a page even when I have good signal the phone just fluctuates between '3g' and 'h' and takes ages to load the page.

randomly, this seems to happen more with this forum than any other site!

Guest sythlord2001
I had exactly the same problem with mine. However i know there is nothing wrong with orange network as I am already with them, and bought this as a second contract. Might be a standard think or firmware issue will keep an eye on it I should get my replacement handset tomorrow.

Ok i have received my second unit today and that is absolutely fine. I have not got any problems with it at all as I did previously. It dials out, it hasn't restarted yet. And i am getting full signal on my Galaxy phone the same as I am with my nokia 6700. So i think that the problem above that I had was because of a faulty unit. New unit is fine. So if you are getting the symptoms above then get your unit changed.

Guest checci
Ok i have received my second unit today and that is absolutely fine. I have not got any problems with it at all as I did previously. It dials out, it hasn't restarted yet. And i am getting full signal on my Galaxy phone the same as I am with my nokia 6700. So i think that the problem above that I had was because of a faulty unit. New unit is fine. So if you are getting the symptoms above then get your unit changed.

That's good news, at least the problem can be easily fixed by getting a replacement handset. Will be taking mine back to the Carphone Warehouse tomorrow :unsure:

Guest sythlord2001
That's good news, at least the problem can be easily fixed by getting a replacement handset. Will be taking mine back to the Carphone Warehouse tomorrow :unsure:

The phone is still going strong 24+ hrs later someone said to me as a joke i may have had a unit that may have been caught up in the earthquak thats why it wasnt working.

Guest tone-fu

My signal's been a little erratic. Even when I'm in one area in can be good one minute and toss the next. I'm unsure whether it's an actual issue or just Android being a duffer and not reporting the signal correctly. I'm on Orange in the South East.

Edited by tone-fu

Guest Kouk2002
Did you guys try to update the firmware before returning to the store? Maybe that helps? :unsure:

At the time i was told there was no firmware update, though at the end of last week there was one, or at least thats when i found it. It made zero difference as far as i can tell.

Skip the bit in the * if you cantbe bothered reading it all, i did write alot.

********************************************************************************

Anyway, since my last post, i rang o2 they said there was no issues with the network in the area, no firmware updates for the phone, but couldn't tell me why my phone on o2 got less than 100Kbps in the same area of my friends o2 phone got 1Mbps or better. So i asked about the 14 day policy o2 have, that you can exchange or even cancel the contract within the first 14, only paying for that first month, however since i bought the phone/contract from phones4u and not o2 store, website or phone, i didnt qualify and to see what phones4u had to say since they sold it me.

So i rung phones4u tech support which i was refered to after trying the online chat support. To which i was told to go to a store and ask for a replacement handset to see if that improved things, and was also given the customer services number so i could ask for details on my options of getting out this since the performance was so poor on o2's side of things, customer services wouldn't say or do anything except tell me to go to the store as tech support had suggested.

So i got ready and went to the store, and showed them and explained the situation, luckily in someways the store had really good reception, full bars on "H" so in theory maximum speeds, but the speed test resulted in a measly 600Kbps this is at best, so i switched sim to the 3 one and ran the test, it got around 2.5Mbps, on full bars on "H". Bit of a difference being nearly 5 times faster. So they went and got another Galaxy S2 out for me and began the process on returning mine and switching to the new one. After which with the same o2 sim card in side i began to hurriedly set it up and download speedtest.net's app, and ran the speed test while heading out the store, to my amazement i got 3.84Mbps download and 1.48Mbps upload, so rushed back to show them and also ran the test again getting a similar result in front of the sales girl of almost 4Mbps download and a bit less the 1Mbps upload (who was actually the same girl who had processed my order the week before). She offered to ring my mobile later to see if it was still performing well when i got home, so after giving my number i went and set off back for home.

Before i even got back home on the bus the signal had gone from full on "H" to "G" the second i got on the bus, so i just figured the bus interfered, by the time i got home the signal was still stuck on "G" and my results in speedtest app confirmed this, back to getting 30Kbps on full bars of "G", needless to say I'd gone from being on top the world after finally seeing good speeds on my new phone with the correct sim card, to being pretty depressed, it didn't help that i work nights and by this time it was near 3 pm and i had to go sleep, so even for day off it wasn't exactly good. Both my tiredness and disappointment seemed to be picked up upon when the sales girl rang to see how it was going.

However when i took the phone to work the next day, the speeds were pretty good overall getting 2 bars on "H" getting speeds of 2-3Mbps download, i was happy. When i got home plug the phone into my PC samsung kies program informed me that the was now a firmware update, which i completed without issue. This hasn't however made any difference to the signal performance or speeds that i get.

Still stuck on "G" at home, but decent at work, so I'm undecided, my contract includes a £6 addon for Internet, a sim only on 3 that gives me similar minutes(300) text and more Internet is £10 for 12 month and the same but 100 minutes instead of 300 minutes is £10 on a 30 day plan (i rarely make calls so minutes don't matter to me largely due to working nights most contact is done via text or Internet), so could be canceled at anytime. So i only need to reduce my bill on o2 by another £4 or more to have the same monthly cost or even less. The thing is if i get good performance anywhere but the couple of mile radius around my home, and at home the signal might not be good for Internet but its fine for calls and text and i connect to my 50Mb cable wifi of which i get test speeds of about 16Mbps on average, so pretty damn fast on a phone.

Since things are like this, and when I'm on my phone out and about the speeds are usually good, i can't cancel my o2 contract without buying out the whole 2 years which sucks, and i just don't have the money to do it in one go. I'm planning on ringing o2 in the morning and will find out how much i can reduce the contract as a monthly cost, if i can take £10 out it, i will probably go for it straight away. Get a 3 sim only and enjoy good speeds where ever i tend to go, if not and its only the £6 Internet add on i will probably wait a little longer, the issue is i want the port my old number which i can still use atm as my vodafone contract hasn't ended yet. So i want and need to be certain the sim i transfer it to is the one i plan to keep, as its too much hassle going through the process multiple times and losing upto a week of use of my phone.

********************************************************************************

Well bottom line is, the replacement handset also improved things for me overall, but o2 is still really bad where i live, though vodafone and 3 both seem to perform better, vodafone is full bars "E" at home while 3 gets "3G" and "H" but not full signal on them like a bar or two, but even then the speed improvement for Internet is drastic at 1 or 2Mbps more on 3 than with the other two at home. Since o2 is only 30Kbps at home add 1Mbps or more to it it becomes decent and usable.

I will post again maybe in a weeks time after i have contacted o2 tried to reduce the bill by at least £10 and how life goes with 3's sim only contract.

Edited by Kouk2002