Updating from 2.3.1 to 2.3.4

Guest Osapir

Guest Osapir

Greetings,

I have a Nexus S running version 2.3.1 with MoDaCo r5 (GRH78).

I have gotten push updates in the past but they never worked.

Now I'm dying to update my Android (tired of all these bugs and random restarts) but I don't want to lose stuff on my phone. Been trying to look for answers across the forums and failed.

I want my 2.3.4.

Please, help.

Guest arunshen

Easiest solution is to wait for Paul to update MCR for the Nexus S, which he hinted us imminent. You should be able to flash it over your current ROM. Do a Nandroid first, of course!

Guest Osapir

I would greatly appreciate it if someone showed me a guide explaining how to upgrade from my r5 version to the newest one (doesn't have to be the expected 2.3.4) without wiping or losing any data/prefrences (i.e remember my settings, passwords, text messages etc).

Thanks in advance.

Guest arunshen
I would greatly appreciate it if someone showed me a guide explaining how to upgrade from my r5 version to the newest one (doesn't have to be the expected 2.3.4) without wiping or losing any data/prefrences (i.e remember my settings, passwords, text messages etc).

Thanks in advance.

Download MCR, copy to SD

Backup apps/data with Titanium Backup (already in your MCR)

Reboot into Recovery

Do a Nandroid backup

Install new ROM

As you're installing an MCR, it should install 'over' your current MCR without a wipe. If it fails you always have the Nandroid. If THAT fails you'll have the Titanium Backup.

Guest Osapir

Again, thank you very much. I managed to get the hang of it a couple of days ago and successfully updated the ROM. I also helped a couple of friends who purchased the same device I did.

Peace and Like!