207 replies to this topic

kogos

kogos

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Devices:nexus1, zte blade, galaxy tab
i used wbaw’s Gen2 v4 and i flashed rls5, but i see only 270MB of data storage available after flashing. Why is that?

cpg

cpg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade

i used wbaw’s Gen2 v4 and i flashed rls5, but i see only 270MB of data storage available after flashing. Why is that?

Settings -> 'SD card & phone storage' only shows the available space on your data partition.
If you'd open a shell to your phone and execute 'df -h', you can see the total size of your /system and /data partitions.

kogos

kogos

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
yeah, but the data partition (which is shown under Settings -> 'SD card & phone storage') is supposed to be 315mb with wbaw’s Gen2 v4 updater. Am i right?

Edited by kogos, 11 May 2011 - 01:23 PM.

cpg

cpg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

yeah, but the data partition (which is shown under Settings -> 'SD card & phone storage') is supposed to be 315mb with wbaw’s Gen2 v4 updater. Am i right?

270mb of free space after a fresh install seems about right. Many settings and such are stored on the data partition, so i think you'll never see that number above 300mb.
If you have the android SDK installed, you can verify its size with adb (as i said above), but if you're not familiar with the program, it's not worth the trouble.

kogos

kogos

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
thanks for the info m8... understood

Larhleolynx

Larhleolynx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Can anyone confirm that wbaw v4 does indeed add GSM and UMTS 850Mhz support, and is there a possibility of adding further frequencies? I'm looking for 2100Mhz on both GSM and UMTS

hedgepigdaniel

hedgepigdaniel

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy Nexus, ZTE Blade (OLED)

Can anyone confirm that wbaw v4 does indeed add GSM and UMTS 850Mhz support, and is there a possibility of adding further frequencies? I'm looking for 2100Mhz on both GSM and UMTS

This has been discussed to death, but the conclusion seems to be that most people do not get HSUPA with Gen2 (including me), although some people are sure that they do. I don't know if anyone has tested 850Mhz.

As for your needs however, all blades support 2100Mhz UMTS (My network uses it), so that wont be a problem. I don't think 2100Mhz GSM exists - make sure you are not getting confused. most providers of 2100Mhz UMTS provide a fallback GSM network on a different frequency

Larhleolynx

Larhleolynx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm sorry you're correct. The tech on the phone told me that their 3G service was off GSM 2100Mhz, but Wikipedia says differently.

GSM/GPRS/EDGE on the 850 and 1900 MHz bands (Also known as 2G GSM, or 2.5G in the case of EDGE)
UMTS/HSPA on the 850 and 1900 MHz bands (Also known as 3G GSM)

Those are the numbers I have to work with where I live. What is strange however, is the fact that my friend, in England came here to visit. In Toronto he was getting 4 bars of reception(with a ZTE Blade), he didn't think to check if it was 2G or 3G service however. While here where I live, I get no reception to 1 bar if I cup the phone like a satellite dish and point it directly at the cell tower, which is maybe 1.5km away at most. At the base of the tower I get 3 bars. Something is wacky, I'd just like to use this phone.

hedgepigdaniel

hedgepigdaniel

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

I'm sorry you're correct. The tech on the phone told me that their 3G service was off GSM 2100Mhz, but Wikipedia says differently.

GSM/GPRS/EDGE on the 850 and 1900 MHz bands (Also known as 2G GSM, or 2.5G in the case of EDGE)
UMTS/HSPA on the 850 and 1900 MHz bands (Also known as 3G GSM)

Those are the numbers I have to work with where I live. What is strange however, is the fact that my friend, in England came here to visit. In Toronto he was getting 4 bars of reception(with a ZTE Blade), he didn't think to check if it was 2G or 3G service however. While here where I live, I get no reception to 1 bar if I cup the phone like a satellite dish and point it directly at the cell tower, which is maybe 1.5km away at most. At the base of the tower I get 3 bars. Something is wacky, I'd just like to use this phone.

It's hard to draw conclusions from bars, especially if you don't even know whether its for 2g/3g. Make judgments based on reception dropouts and data speed tests.

Blade's generally support the following (definitely UK blades)
GSM: 900/1800/1900Mhz
UMTS: 900/2100Mhz

Based on the above, you should be able to get 2g reception on the 1900Mhz band.
If you can get 3g reception and you are sure that your information about your network is correct, then the Gen2 upgrade must have unlocked either 850Mhz UMTS or 1900Mhz UMTS, and you would not have had 3g reception on Gen2 firmware. If that is the case, then we want to know!
Bear in mind that many network providers who offer 2 bands offer only one of them in any given area (eg 1900Mhz for urban areas and 850Mhz for rural areas).

I take it you are in america? what provider are you with, and what country/provider did your blade come from?

hedgepigdaniel

hedgepigdaniel

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
Updated first post with wbaw's v5 Gen2 TPT files. This increases the system partition to 160MB.

jasonXXx

jasonXXx

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Devices:orange san diego
  • Twitter:@ebayhomepc

Updated first post with wbaw's v5 Gen2 TPT files. This increases the system partition to 160MB.

Any chance of a 128 system stock cache and rest on data?

Also known as ngagephone @ xda developers
Device: Orange san diego

Recovery: STOCK
Rom: STOCK

hedgepigdaniel

hedgepigdaniel

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Any chance of a 128 system stock cache and rest on data?

I have no idea why you would want to do that, but I feel generous today: UNTESTED Blade Gen2 Firmware with 128MB system, 37.5MB cache, no OEM. I have not tested it, but ti should work the same as a stock Gen2 image. (so no TPT/fastboot).

jasonXXx

jasonXXx

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

I have no idea why you would want to do that, but I feel generous today: UNTESTED Blade Gen2 Firmware with 128MB system, 37.5MB cache, no OEM. I have not tested it, but ti should work the same as a stock Gen2 image. (so no TPT/fastboot).

Thanks for fast replay is it not possable for tpt and fastboot with the sizes asked for? My system is only 110mb so 128mb for updates etc is more than adequate. I have been having problems with market with the 2mb cache im running a modified SSRLS5 the userint is supposed to redirect the cache but it does not work in my case so im using a modified init.qcom.post_boot to do the trick i dont like doing it this way and i dont need all the extra data space hense asking for a stock cache partition but i would still like to use fastboot and have the ability for tpt. Any suggestions thanks.

Note

orange san francisco white TFT
GEN1 updated to GEN2 via wbaw’s Gen2 v4
Swedish Spring RLS5 with 50% AHB bus overclocking

hedgepigdaniel

hedgepigdaniel

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Thanks for fast replay is it not possable for tpt and fastboot with the sizes asked for? My system is only 110mb so 128mb for updates etc is more than adequate. I have been having problems with market with the 2mb cache im running a modified SSRLS5 the userint is supposed to redirect the cache but it does not work in my case so im using a modified init.qcom.post_boot to do the trick i dont like doing it this way and i dont need all the extra data space hense asking for a stock cache partition but i would still like to use fastboot and have the ability for tpt. Any suggestions thanks.

Note

orange san francisco white TFT
GEN1 updated to GEN2 via wbaw’s Gen2 v4
Swedish Spring RLS5 with 50% AHB bus overclocking

Because that would require editing the firmware files, which I am not experienced with. If you would like to investigate how to repartition by editing mbn files, you can do it yourself. wbaw's TPT thread has a few alternative layouts, someone may be able to help you out there.

jasonXXx

jasonXXx

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Because that would require editing the firmware files, which I am not experienced with. If you would like to investigate how to repartition by editing mbn files, you can do it yourself. wbaw's TPT thread has a few alternative layouts, someone may be able to help you out there.

Ok thanks. I did try to mod the wbaw’s Gen2 v4 files with a windows tool to change the partition layout and that worked fine but i lost the fastboot mode.

Kuresz

Kuresz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've got a GEN2 blade, i upgraded it last week with the official T-Mobile 2.2 update. But its partition share is "not good" So when i get it clearly, i can use this (i want wbaw's gen 2 v5) without a problem, then i just have to flash a recovery (clockwork) and then the costum rom, and thats all?

hedgepigdaniel

hedgepigdaniel

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

I've got a GEN2 blade, i upgraded it last week with the official T-Mobile 2.2 update. But its partition share is "not good" So when i get it clearly, i can use this (i want wbaw's gen 2 v5) without a problem, then i just have to flash a recovery (clockwork) and then the costum rom, and thats all?

yes

Kuresz

Kuresz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

yes

Thanks.

Larhleolynx

Larhleolynx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

It's hard to draw conclusions from bars, especially if you don't even know whether its for 2g/3g. Make judgments based on reception dropouts and data speed tests.

Blade's generally support the following (definitely UK blades)
GSM: 900/1800/1900Mhz
UMTS: 900/2100Mhz

Based on the above, you should be able to get 2g reception on the 1900Mhz band.
If you can get 3g reception and you are sure that your information about your network is correct, then the Gen2 upgrade must have unlocked either 850Mhz UMTS or 1900Mhz UMTS, and you would not have had 3g reception on Gen2 firmware. If that is the case, then we want to know!
Bear in mind that many network providers who offer 2 bands offer only one of them in any given area (eg 1900Mhz for urban areas and 850Mhz for rural areas).

I take it you are in america? what provider are you with, and what country/provider did your blade come from?

The blade came from Orange in the UK, and I'm in Canada.

hedgepigdaniel

hedgepigdaniel

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

The blade came from Orange in the UK, and I'm in Canada.

so do you get 3g reception?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users