208 replies to this topic

hecatae

hecatae

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts
  • Devices:Moto E
hedgepigdaniel, the gen2 v5 with added cefs.mbn has just semi bricked this blade over here:

http://android.modac...p/#entry1706387

hedgepigdaniel

hedgepigdaniel

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy Nexus, ZTE Blade (OLED)

hedgepigdaniel, the gen2 v5 with added cefs.mbn has just semi bricked this blade over here:

http://android.modac...p/#entry1706387

I've PMed you about that to try to see if I need to modify anything. Sound's like he fixed it with your help though, which is good.

AlexG1990

AlexG1990

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:ZTE X850
I need a zte x850/racer, tpt image folder excluding partition.mbn and partition_zte.mbn, a system.img would be greatly appreciated or some help compiling one, thanks

hedgepigdaniel

hedgepigdaniel

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
Updated guide with warnings against flashing Chinese blades, as they are bricked by the process, as per the experience of nzkiller (possibly because they only have 256MB RAM in hardware). Reposted the links for wbaw's firmwares.

anshmiester78900

anshmiester78900

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
[quote name='hedgepigdaniel' date='May 23 2011, 04:57' post='1707299']
Updated guide with warnings against flashing Chinese blades, as they are bricked by the process, as per th phone doesthe india version of blade can be unlocked to 512mb ram .? Also can it be roots n custom roms be installed .?

hedgepigdaniel

hedgepigdaniel

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Updated guide with warnings against flashing Chinese blades, as they are bricked by the process, as per th phone

does the india version of blade can be unlocked to 512mb ram .? Also can it be roots n custom roms be installed .?

I'm sure it can be rooted and that you can install a custom ROM, just find the relevant guides. As for compatibility with this firmware (and unlocking RAM), I don't know. You are welcome to try, at your own risk. Be aware that if you flash incompatible firmware, we do not have the dell stock firmware, so you will not be able to flash it back.

wbaw

wbaw

account closed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

does the india version of blade can be unlocked to 512mb ram .? Also can it be roots n custom roms be installed .?
I'm sure it can be rooted and that you can install a custom ROM, just find the relevant guides. As for compatibility with this firmware (and unlocking RAM), I don't know. You are welcome to try, at your own risk. Be aware that if you flash incompatible firmware, we do not have the dell stock firmware, so you will not be able to flash it back.

It looks like the greek blades can be unlocked to 512mb, but the chinese ones can't, no idea about the Indian ones, I thought they were sold with 512mb ram.

If it doesn't work, then it'll bootloop. it might be fixable by flashing the appsboot.mbn (also appsboothd.mbn & partition_zte.mbn) from the greek or chinese firmware.

You should be able to root an indian blade using kallt's version of z4root & then install clockworkmod (using rom manager from the market), then you can install any gen2 rom on an indian blade using clockworkmod, without risking bricking it.

Edited by wbaw, 26 May 2011 - 03:40 PM.

baddogshuck

baddogshuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Fantastic! I had upgraded my UK Blade to Gen2 using the old windows method, but by following the first post I got it back to Gen1 without losing the IMEI. Much thanks!

Now to try Gen2 via TPT :P

Bobby Newmark

Bobby Newmark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:Blade
Hi,

I've got a Gen1 San Francisco (Orange PL) with Cyanogen 7.0 here, and I can't use TPT (it doesn't go to TPT flashing :D ).

I think about using wbaw’s Gen2 v5 to move to Gen2 and Cyanogen nigthlies. Would this method be ok?

I've got a few questions before I proceed:
- How to reflash restore_stock_recovery.zip using Clockwork Mod? Which option to choose? I'm completely green here :D
- How to verify the IMEI after the upgrade?
- Do I need any additional drivers for Windows?

Cheers

Bobby Newmark

Bobby Newmark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:Blade

- How to reflash restore_stock_recovery.zip using Clockwork Mod? Which option to choose? I'm completely green here :D
- How to verify the IMEI after the upgrade?
- Do I need any additional drivers for Windows?

Answers to the above questions:
- Use reflash zip / choose zip file
- IMEI is fine
- Windows 7 has all the necessary drivers.

To flash Orange PL San Francisco I used:
restore_stock_recovery.zip
recovery-clockwork-3.2.0-blade-gen2-update_signed.zip (newer than the one linked in first post)
wbaw's Gen2 v5
A custom-built nightly of Cyanogen 7.1A (N86?)

The update was a breeze. Everything worked as intended. Many thanks guys!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • Devices:Xperia Play / Xoom / ZTE Blade

yeah, but the data partition (which is shown under Settings -> 'SD card & phone storage') is supposed to be 315mb with wbaw’s Gen2 v4 updater. Am i right?

dalvik-cache uses quite a bit of space

(This can be solved by odexing your stuff in /system its has to be done on the phone which makes it a pita but the end result is worth it).

shadowninty

shadowninty

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Devices:Xperia Play, ZTE Blade
Fanastic. i had Windozed to Gen2 so had no TPT safety net, ran this than TPT'd Wbaw's v7b.
Thank You ;)

Device: ZTE Blade [TFT, White] ROM: CyanogenMod 7 [Latest Nightly] Android 2.3.4
Sign up for Dropbox, and earn us both 250MB EXTRA Free Online Storage on top of 2GB you get already - The Cloud, its the future
Dropbox lets you easily sync files between your OS's (including Windows, Ubuntu and Android!)

tox!c

tox!c

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Hello all.

I ran in troubles when flashing my blade.

I used virtual box running a windows XP host. All was OK (device recognized in DFU mode, drivers installed, start button was clickable etc), but when ratio was at 11/100 , I don't know why but it stopped. Start button was not clickable anymore and my blade was not appearing in the device manager. FTM letters were still in the screen, blade didn't reboot and didn't suffer damages (I thought)

After that, I connected it to my win xp laptop and flashed correctly

Any1 tried vbox with better consequences??

Thanks in advance

hedgepigdaniel

hedgepigdaniel

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Hello all.

I ran in troubles when flashing my blade.

I used virtual box running a windows XP host. All was OK (device recognized in DFU mode, drivers installed, start button was clickable etc), but when ratio was at 11/100 , I don't know why but it stopped. Start button was not clickable anymore and my blade was not appearing in the device manager. FTM letters were still in the screen, blade didn't reboot and didn't suffer damages (I thought)

After that, I connected it to my win xp laptop and flashed correctly
Any1 tried vbox with better consequences??
Thanks in advance

It probably didn't work because all sorts of low level hardware drivers don't work properly through VM. You are lucky not to have a brick. Doing this from a VM is an awful, awful idea. Don't try it again.

tox!c

tox!c

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Hello all again. I've a new question.

I entered today recovery mode for the first time since I restored a backup after the flash was done and clockwork mode was 4.00 (That's version I installed in recovery partition after the flash) but the clockwork version in the backup (recovery.img ) was 3.0.2.8 =S

Another one. Does this flash de SPL? Kernel in the boot uses the partition table, but i've restored my boot image too. Explanations are welcome

The last question. I changed my 2gb sd memory to a 8gb and i was unable to restore the sd ext backup (phone never fished booting)

Thanks in advance

Edited by tox!c, 21 June 2011 - 11:56 AM.

hedgepigdaniel

hedgepigdaniel

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Hello all again. I've a new question.

I entered today recovery mode for the first time since I restored a backup after the flash was done and clockwork mode was 4.00 (That's version I installed in recovery partition after the flash) but the clockwork version in the backup (recovery.img ) was 3.0.2.8 =S

Another one. Does this flash de SPL? Kernel in the boot uses the partition table, but i've restored my boot image too. Explanations are welcome

The last question. I changed my 2gb sd memory to a 8gb and i was unable to restore the sd ext backup (phone never fished booting)

Thanks in advance

Not sure about clockwork - it sounds like restoring the backup didn't affect the recovery partition. You can easily fix that up by flashing clockworkmod 4 again.

What is the SPL? This method flashes everything. The entire firmware and all the partitions are flashed (system data and cache get flashed with a blank image, recovery gets stock, and boot gets clockworkmod). The only thing that is maintained is a subset of the NV memory (IMEI etc), and only because the flasher automatically backs it up in channel1.nvm and restores it after the flash.

Did you repartition your new SD card? you wont be able to restore SD-ext until you've set up the partitions on your new card. You can do this from clockworkmod. I've found clockworkmod to be a little problematic with sd-ext backups besides that though.

Len Ash

Len Ash

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Devices:SGS 2, Nexus 7, Omnia 7

Fanastic. i had Windozed to Gen2 so had no TPT safety net, ran this than TPT'd Wbaw's v7b.
Thank You :)

What did you do exactly? As in "this"?

hedgepigdaniel

hedgepigdaniel

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

What did you do exactly? As in "this"?

Just flash the custom packages 7/7b. They contain the same firmware as wbaw's TPTs. Your phone ends up the same, minus wbaw's splash images.

Len Ash

Len Ash

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Devices:SGS 2, Nexus 7, Omnia 7

Just flash the custom packages 7/7b. They contain the same firmware as wbaw's TPTs. Your phone ends up the same, minus wbaw's splash images.

Yo - I was trying to establish if the poster had taken a previously Windows converted G1>G2 phone and subsequently TPT updated it... I'm trying to work out if I need to go the G2>G1 route and then TPT update. I want to mod the partitions (already done on other phones NOT Windoes updated previously) if that makes sense!

hedgepigdaniel

hedgepigdaniel

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Yo - I was trying to establish if the poster had taken a previously Windows converted G1>G2 phone and subsequently TPT updated it... I'm trying to work out if I need to go the G2>G1 route and then TPT update. I want to mod the partitions (already done on other phones NOT Windoes updated previously) if that makes sense!

You do not need two steps.

Everytime you flash firmware, whether its via windows or TPT, your phone is repartitioned. If you flash firmware that allows TPT then you can use TPT afterwards, but you do not need to go back to Gen1 and then to a TPT, unless there isn't a windows package with the same firmware that is in the TPT. If you want to flash wbaw's TPTs, then you can do it in one step by flashing the custom v7/v7b packages. You will end up with whatever partition layout that was in the last firmware you flashed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users