r1 12 May - Google Video Talk Installer

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul

videotalkscreenshot.png

(screenshot above from the Xperia PLAY)

As some of you may know, Android Gingerbread 2.3.4 includes Video support for Google Talk. Handily, this can be backported for a lot of devices that are running 2.3.3 (or even 2.3.2!)

The process is a bit of a challenge though, so i've built the process into an easy to use APK!

Points to note before you start...

• You use this APK at your own risk! I recommend you have a backup, or at the very least a strategy to return your device to stock should the unthinkable happen.
  • I have tested ONLY on the devices listed below! Extra extra caution is suggested if you want to try it on something else!
  • Your device needs to be rooted in order to run this process.
  • If your device is Android 2.3.3, only the required files are installed.
  • If your device is Android 2.3.2, the build.prop is also edited to 'spoof' the newer version.
  • As part of the install process, your Google accounts will be wiped and you'll need to re-set them up when you reboot.
    • Samsung Galaxy S II (fully working)
    • Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (fully working)
    • Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc (rear camera only)

How to use...

• Download the APK linked below (please do not mirror this elsewhere)
      • Install on your device in the usual way
      • Run 'Video Talk Installer' from the programs Launcher
      • Device will reboot
      • You can now uninstall the app (you only ever need to run it once!)
      • And here it is...

Guest JamesKing

Great! I'll be trying this out tonight.

It's a shame there isn't a ClockworkMod available for SGS2 yet, to enable easy backup of settings etc :unsure:

James

Guest IrealiTY

May you tell the trick?

Did you changed the build.prop and and pasted the libs? If yes... strange that it didnt work for me earlier :/

Guest IrealiTY

Ah ok... maybe i forgot some changes.

Anyways... your installer seems not to work on my XPlay. I press OK for installing and it seems to hung up on "Installing Google Video Talk" not even Super User asked for permissions (i dont know if these are requiered as I assume it, while you move stuff at the /system ) :/

Logcat:

I/CustomizationProvider( 1180): No configuration file: /system/etc/customization

/settings/com/sonyericsson/textinput/uxp/custom_settings.xml

I/dalvikvm(  215): Jit: resizing JitTable from 8192 to 16384

I/ActivityManager(  215): Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cat=

[android.intent.category.LAUNCHER] flg=0x10100000 cmp=com.modaco.googlevideotalk

/.main } from pid 215

I/RootTools v0.9.1( 1251): Checking for Root binary

I/ActivityManager(  215): Displayed com.modaco.googlevideotalk/.main: +258ms

D/lights  (  215): set_light_buttons: brightness=0

D/szipinf ( 1251): Initializing inflate state

D/szipinf ( 1251): Initializing zlib to inflate

I/CustomizationProvider( 1180): No configuration file: /system/etc/customization

/settings/com/sonyericsson/textinput/uxp/custom_settings.xml

I/RootTools v0.9.1( 1251): Sending 1 shell command

Edited by IrealiTY

Guest foxmeister

Works on a Gingerbread Galaxy Tab 7", but rear camera only.

On other devices, it is possible to switch between front and rear cameras?

Regards,

Dave

Guest 3shirts

Seemed to install ok on my Nexus S (CM 7.0.3) and the app now has the options for Video call notifications etc but I haven't tested a call yet.

Guest Asrangi

Im on sgs2 and its giving me a parsing error! Im rooted and using root explorer, i have no clue what im doin wrong, pls help!

Guest glenner05

okay, i tried it on my sgs 2 with latest EKE1 firmware, with supercurios kernel for auto root. Installed APK, then ran install google talk, and it just displays the photo on my screen and 'installing Google Video Talk', but no reset or other messages...

edit: it worked after i enabled USB debugging mode and tried again after factory reset..., in fact it's working perfectly on my SGS II, sound video both sides, even from or to PC...thanx Paul! Well done

Edited by glenner05

Guest Asrangi
Redownload from another browser.

P

I tried 3 diff browsers, still no cigar, could it be cause of the kernel for setcpu?

Guest mapin0518

Just an FYI, no go on the G2x.

On stock 2.2 I get a parse error when trying to install.

On CM7 #16, it installs and launches just fine, but no go on initiating video or audio chatting.

Guest Qwertymon
Just an FYI, no go on the G2x.

On stock 2.2 I get a parse error when trying to install.

On CM7 #16, it installs and launches just fine, but no go on initiating video or audio chatting.

cm7 isnt using lgs driver is it?

Guest nieldk

First. Good job mate.

Now, after some test on xperia play. All good on phone. But receiving party is not able to hear sound, only video.

Guest Dusanzk
First. Good job mate.

Now, after some test on xperia play. All good on phone. But receiving party is not able to hear sound, only video.

I agree, well done.....but i have the same problem...receiving party doesn't hear me, only video.

Tried calling my friend on his Nexus S from my Xperia Play

Guest richteas

Appears to function nicely on the HTC Incredible S, rooted and upgraded to Gingerbread (2.3.3). The only problem is that the video taken by the front camera of the phone is transmitted and shown rotated by 90 degrees, regardless of the orientation of the phone- the user on the Incredible S is always shown sideways :-). Sound is acceptable.

Thank you Paul for releasing this port!