Buying the Galaxy S II

Guest c0m47053

Guest c0m47053

Hi All,

I am looking to buy the GSII, and O2 seem to have stopped the £399 PAYG so I am looking around for the best deal. I am happy to go with an 18 month contract. Anyone seen anything particularly worthwhile?

Thanks

Alex

Guest Epic-Emodude
Hi All,

I am looking to buy the GSII, and O2 seem to have stopped the £399 PAYG so I am looking around for the best deal. I am happy to go with an 18 month contract. Anyone seen anything particularly worthwhile?

Thanks

Alex

02 are selling it for £16.50/month + £150 for the phone on a 24 month contract. 50 mins, 250 texts and 500mb data. They also have more expensive plans with more minutes/texts and less for the phone. You can also get £50 cashback from topcashback or quidco.

Aaron

Guest c0m47053

Thanks guys, I will look at that. The only issue is that O2 are now quoting up to 14 days delivery, possibly short stocked? Do you guys know if you can do this in the shop, and sacrifice the cashback, I was more than happy to pay the £400 for PAYG on O2, only they have stopped it but if I could buy it on the above contract and cancel the bolt on, it would work out exactly the same.

Edited by c0m47053

Guest Immortal9
Thanks guys, I will look at that. The only issue is that O2 are now quoting up to 14 days delivery, possibly short stocked? Do you guys know if you can do this in the shop, and sacrifice the cashback, I was more than happy to pay the £400 for PAYG on O2, only they have stopped it but if I could buy it on the above contract and cancel the bolt on, it would work out exactly the same.

I got mine from phones 4 u on a 24 month contract with t-mobile for £20.43/month and £99 up front. I Recieved the phone after 3 working days complete with sim.

Guest ScareCrowe

I picked mine up from O2 on a £20.50 +10 data contract, 18 months, for £104.99... Quidco are currently showing £90 cashback tracking, and it came next day. Ordered Thursday, arrived Friday... Loving it :unsure: As my 2nd experience of Android (I briefly had a Magic on vodafone), I'm more than a little impressed!! :)

Edited by ScareCrowe

Guest c0m47053

Scarecrowe, that seems to be a pretty decent deal, depending on allowances. I have been working it out on TCO, and yours seems to come £589.32 over the 24 months. The cheapest I have found is the deal that Kev and Aaron have pointed out is currently the best deal I have found, at £532 over the 18 months, but as I said above O2 are telling me there is a 14 day wait for delivery online.

Does anyone who bought instore on contract know if you can cancel the data bolt on, as Kev suggest in his blog or is it doable by online customers only?

Guest Big_Vlad
Hi All,

Thanks

Alex

At Carphone Warehouse they've got sim-free for £495.99 in stock online and in stores.

I took one on 12 months contract with Talk Mobile (CPW own MVNO, operates on Vodafone network) with unlimited internet for £25 a month. Handset cost £269 an it's 100% unlocked. :unsure:

Edit: It's £569 over 12 months, with unlimited data (fair usage policy), 300 minutes, 1000 texts.

Edited by Big_Vlad

Guest tonynz

I got my Galaxy S2 on a 12 month contract with:

£149 up front

£32 a month

300 free minutes + 200 free minutes

Unlimited Txts

500 MB internet

Guest c0m47053

£149 up front

£32 a month

Unlimited Txts

500 MB internet

Nice deal tonynz, I'm afraid I might have just beat it though. T-Mobile called me on a retention deal as follows:

£50 up front

£25 a month

300 mins + 300 texts

Unlimited Internet (1 Gig FUP)

18 months

Comes in at £500 TCO over 18 months which is much better than I was expecting!

Might be worth trying for anyone in a similar position with T-Mobile.

Edited by c0m47053

Guest SpruceyB

Anyone considering the o2 deal

If you know someone who works for McDonalds you can get £100 Cashback on tariffs under £20pm

"Every employee can take advantage of this offer up to 6 times per calendar year and can offer the discount to family and friends as well (Employees will need to accompany their friend or family member to the O2 store. They will need to provide the text code and proof of employment before their friend or family member can benefit from the offer)"

Guest Matt (HTC S710)
Nice deal tonynz, I'm afraid I might have just beat it though. T-Mobile called me on a retention deal as follows:

£50 up front

£25 a month

300 mins + 300 texts

Unlimited Internet (1 Gig FUP)

18 months

Comes in at £500 TCO over 18 months which is much better than I was expecting!

Might be worth trying for anyone in a similar position with T-Mobile.

Hey, do you know if this would be available in store? Also I didn't think T-Mobile had the SGS2 yet, because that sounds perfect for me. Maybe with more texts though..

EDIT: I'm coming up to my contract end at the end of this month.

Edited by Matt (HTC S710)

Guest c0m47053
Hey, do you know if this would be available in store? Also I didn't think T-Mobile had the SGS2 yet, because that sounds perfect for me. Maybe with more texts though..

EDIT: I'm coming up to my contract end at the end of this month.

It was an odd retention deal with T-Mobile, but since they don't stock the device atm, I actually picked it up through Carphone Warehouse. Might be worth calling them and asking if they could do similar for new customers, but I think it's unlikely.

When I spoke to T-Mobile while getting my PAC code originally, they told me they had somewhere near the end of this month as expected start date for them having it direct though.

Guest Matt (HTC S710)
It was an odd retention deal with T-Mobile, but since they don't stock the device atm, I actually picked it up through Carphone Warehouse. Might be worth calling them and asking if they could do similar for new customers, but I think it's unlikely.

When I spoke to T-Mobile while getting my PAC code originally, they told me they had somewhere near the end of this month as expected start date for them having it direct though.

Oh I meant i'm nearing the end of my T-Mobile contract. My HTC Hero. Do I have to threaten to leave for them to give me that sort of deal? And does it matter how long I've been with them for on how good the deal is?

Guest c0m47053
Oh I meant i'm nearing the end of my T-Mobile contract. My HTC Hero. Do I have to threaten to leave for them to give me that sort of deal? And does it matter how long I've been with them for on how good the deal is?

I can tell you exactly where I came from and perhaps that will help. 18 months ago I bought a Motorola Milestone (regretted it, locked bootloader, won't buy Motorola again...) from Expansys with a T-Mobile contract, so not sure how that went down in T-Mobile's books. I got to the end of the contract, and asked for a PAC code (this was on Wednesday). They didn't really bother to make an offer at that point, but I didn't push them since I wasn't aware that they did this arrangement with CPW so you might get some results at this point. The PAC code doesn't really tie you into leaving, you can let it expire after 30 days and carry on as normal, and can request one any time after you enter you'r last billing period (my contract actually ends at the end of this month). I got a call from retentions this afternoon offering me the deal.

Only problem was that my CPW didn't have the phone, so I have to drive to the next nearest branch tomorrow morning to pick up the phone.

I would suggest calling cancellations and trying your luck, you can even go through with requesting the PAC code with no real consequence.

Hope this helps you get the same deal. It really was much better than anything else I have seen, without having to go through Quidco and wait for online delivery.

Alex

Guest Matt (HTC S710)
I can tell you exactly where I came from and perhaps that will help. 18 months ago I bought a Motorola Milestone (regretted it, locked bootloader, won't buy Motorola again...) from Expansys with a T-Mobile contract, so not sure how that went down in T-Mobile's books. I got to the end of the contract, and asked for a PAC code (this was on Wednesday). They didn't really bother to make an offer at that point, but I didn't push them since I wasn't aware that they did this arrangement with CPW so you might get some results at this point. The PAC code doesn't really tie you into leaving, you can let it expire after 30 days and carry on as normal, and can request one any time after you enter you'r last billing period (my contract actually ends at the end of this month). I got a call from retentions this afternoon offering me the deal.

Only problem was that my CPW didn't have the phone, so I have to drive to the next nearest branch tomorrow morning to pick up the phone.

I would suggest calling cancellations and trying your luck, you can even go through with requesting the PAC code with no real consequence.

Hope this helps you get the same deal. It really was much better than anything else I have seen, without having to go through Quidco and wait for online delivery.

Alex

Oh thanks, I guess I'll call them tomorrow and see what comes out of it.. That's a good deal you got, so if I can get something like that I'll be a happy man. Will tell you how it goes.

Guest c0m47053
Oh thanks, I guess I'll call them tomorrow and see what comes out of it.. That's a good deal you got, so if I can get something like that I'll be a happy man. Will tell you how it goes.

Cool, would love to know if you are able to get the same deal. I picked up the phone this morning, awesome device. Another added bonus of doing it this way is the phone is a clean, unlocked, unbranded device so no medding around with unlock codes and flashing just to remove the branding and get official updates.

Guest Matt (HTC S710)
Cool, would love to know if you are able to get the same deal. I picked up the phone this morning, awesome device. Another added bonus of doing it this way is the phone is a clean, unlocked, unbranded device so no medding around with unlock codes and flashing just to remove the branding and get official updates.

Been into town today, T-Mobile just told me to wait about "a week and a half?". Carphone Warehouse couldn't do anything today as the phone isn't in my name. So will be calling T-Mobile this afternoon and see if they can do anything for me. CPW did say my phone was worth £100 towards it though.. Any idea how much yours was?

Guest c0m47053
Been into town today, T-Mobile just told me to wait about "a week and a half?". Carphone Warehouse couldn't do anything today as the phone isn't in my name. So will be calling T-Mobile this afternoon and see if they can do anything for me. CPW did say my phone was worth £100 towards it though.. Any idea how much yours was?

My Milestone? Kept it, will give it to my other half so was not interested in a trade in.

Guest Matt (HTC S710)
My Milestone? Kept it, will give it to my other half so was not interested in a trade in.

Oh okay. Depending on what I can get is if I keep it or trade it in. Will get back to you soon, calling in like 30 minutes. Know the time they close?

Guest tonynz

My was a retention deal with O2 btw

£149 up front

£32 a month

Unlimited Txts

500 MB internet

Guest Matt (HTC S710)

They've just said that they can't do anything as they don't stock the phone at the moment, so I'm just going to leave it for until T-Mobile have it and see if I can get an upgrade. Unless they call me on retention, which I doubt.

Guest Willz

I'm going for one of the deals on o2, but on contract. £27 a month with 300 mins, unlimited texts and 500mb data on a 24 month contract at £49.99. :unsure:

Edited by Willz

Guest Matt (HTC S710)

Anyone ever used any of them online sites like mobiles.co.uk or affordablemobiles? They have good prices and some bad reviews, but the bad reviews are just because of free gifts and them not reading the T&C's, which I wouldn't have problems with..

Guest stoney1973
Anyone ever used any of them online sites like mobiles.co.uk or affordablemobiles? They have good prices and some bad reviews, but the bad reviews are just because of free gifts and them not reading the T&C's, which I wouldn't have problems with..

I bought mine from http://www.buymobilephones.net/mobile-phon...930,All,tt1,ct1

Got it with this T-mobile contract: T-Mobile £30 inc. Internet

600 cross-network mins + 500 texts + Unlimited data(500mb streaming,unlimited browsing) • 18 months

£ 30.64 a month £19.99 upfront for the phone, plus £30 back from quidco

£571.52 in total.

Don't know if they still have stock though. But they has quick replies to my questions. Both on twitter and via email.