Phone gets hot and battery drains FAST

Guest mikehunt

Guest mikehunt

I took delivery of my SGS 2 yesterday and all was good until I opened Media Remote by Sony. The app didn't work so I closed it and carried on browsing but noticed my phone had gotten really hot and the battery had dropped 20% in 20-30 minutes. When I opened Android Assistant I could see my CPU was running at over 60%, meaning an app was probably maxing out one of my cores. After killing Media Remote things went back to normal. I put it down to a crappy app, even though it didn't cause any problems on my Nexus S.

This morning I was browsing the web over 3g using Dolphin HD and noticed the phone started to get hot again and the battery was being eaten. The CPU was running above normal but that was OK. After I changed back to WIFI it seemed to cool down and the battery use went back to normal, although it also could have been solved by me closing some tabs, which might have been eating the CPU.

The Media Remote issue happens every time, but I can't re-create any issues with the 3G.

Any one else found the phone gets really hot under load?

Edited by mikehunt

Guest tone-fu

Mine got really hot when my daughter was playing the 'Super Why!' game, nothing else seemed to heat it up though, and that game isn't labour intensive (or graphically). It's weird.

Guest JEVS-MX

Mine just got extremely hot, had it in my back pocket, listening to some music using doubleTwist player. I noticed it got hot when my left butt cheek started to burn! Battery died (from some 30% in an hour). Didn't get to see CPU load.

Also, I had the phone in a silicon case... how about you guys?

Guest SUPAD

We must be indulgent with the side effect of having such a slim phone : we are close to the processor, wich of course always heat up a bit but is probably better refreshed in other phones.

Guest mikehunt

Had the phone for a week now and found the battery life to be really varied. I got 2 days out of it once, but other days similar use gets me just 1 day.

To make the phone get hot I go to the bbc news from page and just scroll up and down, after 90 seconds it's borderline uncomfortable to touch.

I'm certain that this is the CPU being set to full throttle when it gets busy and i'm considering taking it back to ask for a replacement. If that,

's the same I will probably go for a custom from and under clock the CPU. Can't imagine not having this phone, but I wish Samsung would take (another) idea from apple and balance their clocks for better be battery life

Guest Junior Bear

Mine got really hot last night for the first time while.it was charging. I also noticed it took a very long time to large. Four hours plus. Strange

Guest belyj

Mine was doing that on XWKE2 firmware with MS Exchange account cofigured for Push.

On XWKE1 and XWkE7 the issue is not present, I usually get 2 days of use on a single charge, just like my iPhone 4.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Breit

the latest gingerbread 2.3.3 build (XWKE7) on the sg2 has a bug where eventually 'wifi sharing' (whatever that does) uses all the cpu-cycles of at least 1 core, even if wifi is switched off.

if your sg2 gets very hot just sitting in your pocket then it is possible that this bug just occured on your handset.

short-term solution: just go to the process-list in the battery-status screen (settings -> about phone -> battery usage) and click on 'wifi sharing'. there should be a 'force stop' button -> hit that button! :D