Replacement Metal Back For the Vega

Guest Mark_L

Guest Mark_L

If anyone knows if we can get these from anywhere I'd love one.

I want to run my Vega at 1.5ghz and more but I figured the standard cooling wouldn't be up to it.

The processor has no heatsink and does not contact anything in the case so there is nowhere for heat to go... and even though the processor does not contact the case the case can still get rather warm!

So, I opend my Vega and added a bit of metal to bridge the gap between the top of the processor and the back of the case.

I shimmed it carefully with some card and electrical tape to reduce any crush risk to the processor, and I used a smattering of heatsink paste between the processor and bit of metal and the bit of metal and case.

After doing this I was VERY surprised by how hot the case can get, even though its plastic and the thermal conductivity is accordingly rubbish. So the processor must be chucking out quite a bit of heat when playing games etc @1.5ghz.

If we have a propper metal back then we could rig it to disapate the heat a lot better, and I'm convinced it would result in higher overclocking speeds when we get the functions in the ROM to push past 1.5Ghz.

Anyone with a machine shop and some spare alluminium wanna start making these? I'd pay about £30 ->£40 for one without thinking twice.

Edited by Mark_L