[ROM][GingerBread]CM7 working on Gen2 ZTE Light/V9 [2011-08-15]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest kallt_kaffe

Use Clockwork recovery v4.0.0.2 or later: http://android.podtw...y.php?device=v9

NOTE: This app installs Clockwork v4.0.0.8 for you: http://www.mediafire...mhueppg4idy7574

Description

• NOTE: Only for Gen2, ie devices that have been upgraded to 2.2 (If you want to upgrade to Gen2, repartition to a CM7 optimized layout and install CM7 at the same time, go here: http://android.modaco.com/topic/342556-repartition-nand-for-optimal-cm7-setup-2011-08-15/)
  • This is a build that corresponds to a "nightly" but it is highly unofficial!
  • Use Google apps from here: http://goo-inside.me/gapps/
  • Download 2011-07-11: http://www.mediafire...11v8jvnym999f7w
  • Download 2011-07-15: http://www.mediafire...wmqhpcb98189ls9
  • Download 2011-07-17: http://www.mediafire...06i64kbzc509vpp
  • Download 2011-08-15: http://www.mediafire...a2lmasbzb4tjznq
  • DO NOT FORGET TO WIPE!!!
    • 2011-08-15 - BT & Wifi can now coexist (stop both and start BT first if you have problems). Calibration is now controlled by kernel. Should make it work fine with capacitive screens again. New app for calibration and gesture emulation tweaking. It can also be used to turn on and off USB charging. Two finger rotation emulation can now also be done. Done just like the pinch-zoom emulation but on the other axis.
    • 2011-07-17 - CM7 now has PAN support (bluetooth tethering) so I think it was worth syncing and compiling a new version.
    • 2011-07-15 - Merged FM radio fixes (fixes battery drain) and camera fixes from the Blade project (Thansk TomG). More tweaking to the "slide-zoom".
    • 2011-07-11 - Changed the pinch-zoom hack to work a bit different. Gives better control but isn't exaclty pinch-zoom anymore. Slide two fingers in parallell up or down like this:
    • 2494d1310460275-zte-light.jpg
    • 2011-07-08 - Added experimental pinch-zoom support. Far from perfect but should be good enough to make Angry Birds zoomin work.
    • 2011-07-03 - Custom kernel with overclocking and extra scaling governors (interactive & smartass). Also both kernel and CM are now compiled for VMSPLIT_3G. This means that old kernels (pre 2011-07-03) is NOT compatible and must not be used
    • 2011-06-27 - FM Radio & USB tethering (all thanks to the development on CM7 for the ZTE Blade), updated proprietary libs with new versions from TeliaSonera official 2.2 upgrade.
    • 2011-06-15 - "Recent apps" now makes use of the full resolution of the screen.
    • 2011-06-06 - Backgrounds are now highres. Rotary lockscreen correct size (and turned on by default). Android keyboard height increased. (Been reusing stuff invented for the Nook color CM7 port)
    • 2011-05-31 - Install works fine (at least for me) but it needed some more /tmp space in Clockwork (se above).
    • 2011-05-29 - This version really should work to install without running out of space on /tmp in Clockwork.
    • 2011-05-28 - Fixed the installscript that was broken i the last version.
    • 2011-05-27 - Removed hdpi graphics. Telephone audio should now always be routed to external speaker.
    • 2011-05-25 - Touchscreen calibration support and also added ldpi and hdpi bitmaps (for those who experiment with different LCD densities)
    • 2011-05-21 - Better autobrightness levels and lockscreen disabled by default.
    • 2011-05-20 - Inital version

Tips & Tricks

[*]Go into Settings and CyanogenMod Settings and turn on the 180 degree rotation.

Sources: https://github.com/kalltkaffe

For AHB overclocking install this update! (Do NOT use this with previous (pre 2011-08-15) versions): http://www.mediafire...gnzrr154xw3xk8e NOTE: This is an optional update that overclocks the AHB bus with 50% (increases the memory access speed but can cause instability) and should be installed AFTER installing CM7.

Guest kallt_kaffe
Great work :P does this mean you have a fully working kernel? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately not. I've modified Cyanogen (or actually Gingerbread) to work with a VMSPLIT_2G kernel so I'm using the Optus MyTab 2.6.32.9 kernel.

No the less CM7 seems to run very well. Lockscreen is a bit messed up but you can turn that of in the "tablet tweaks".

Guest forforum
New version in first post.

Thanks for the great work.

Just download and installed on an Optus MyTab. Installed ok and took a while to reboot, however, there are a few issues

1. Keep coming up with android keyboard has stopped message and need force close. After a while, I couldn't even force close and had to remove battery to reboot.

2. Android market wouldn't start, an white screen came up and went back to the menu

3. Could not install google apps on initial start up (due to market crash)

4. Error on scanning SD card when tried to play music, but Astro can read the card without error.

Screen is working really well, just like calibrated for my device.

Another question is all my apps remain and working, is that right?

Looking forward to another update!!

Guest kallt_kaffe
Great work :P does this mean you have a fully working kernel? :rolleyes:

Sebastian, any chance you could make a Clockwork Recovery with a bigger /tmp. Koush wrote some handy stuff that dumps boot.img, unpacks it and repacks it with a new kernel and then flashes it. I've used it successfully with 3.1.0.4 on the blade but newer versions failed due to lack of space in /tmp. Also the V9 Clockwork fails doing this for the same reason. There's a lot of RAM in these devices so it wouldn't harm to double it.

With this working I could make an AHB overclocking addon that doesn't needs updating if something is changed in the initital ramdisk.

Guest forforum
Did you do a full wipe after installing?

Thanks kallt_kaffe, wiping fixed the issues :P

Downloaded the 2.3.4 google apps (actually twice), but, windows complained the zip archive was not a valid archive. 2.3.3 version works great.

Thanks again!

Guest boutsism

the bad thing is that recovery manager of sebastian doesnt work on this...and rom manager doesnt have the latest gen2 recovery for zte v9 on it so how can i install recovery now in my v9???

Guest Stephen J. Knill
i have the same problem with forforum,how can i wipe?

Setting -> Privacy -> Factory data reset

or via Clockwork Recovery "Wipe Data/Cache..."

Guest Stephen J. Knill
the bad thing is that recovery manager of sebastian doesnt work on this...and rom manager doesnt have the latest gen2 recovery for zte v9 on it so how can i install recovery now in my v9???

I'm presuming your device is already rooted here...

Recovery can still be installed via Bootloader mode under a command shell in Windows (Or a Bash Shell in Linux) using the fastboot application. (you can use this application to make using fastboot even easier, ignore the device reference... it works fine for all devices that use fastboot all it does is remove the need for typing in the various commands)

EDIT: Oops, posted before I finished... Recovery can also be installed while the device is booted using a shell emulator on the device (or via adb) by downloading the recovery.img to your SDcard and then using "flash_image recovery /sdcard/whateveritscallednow.img"

EDIT2: If enough people are in need of it... I can muster up an alternative to flash these updates including the recovery rom (pretty easy really... presuming debugging mode is turned on) -- If you need/want this... let me know.

EDIT3: Or better yet,

Edited by Stephen J. Knill

Guest Stephen J. Knill
Sebastian, any chance you could make a Clockwork Recovery with a bigger /tmp. Koush wrote some handy stuff that dumps boot.img, unpacks it and repacks it with a new kernel and then flashes it. I've used it successfully with 3.1.0.4 on the blade but newer versions failed due to lack of space in /tmp. Also the V9 Clockwork fails doing this for the same reason. There's a lot of RAM in these devices so it wouldn't harm to double it.

With this working I could make an AHB overclocking addon that doesn't needs updating if something is changed in the initital ramdisk.

I'll have a look and see if I can find that tool-set, pretty sure it could be easily modified to make use of other memory available without the need to re-cook the recovery kernel. (if you have the link handy I'd appreciate you'r posting it to make it a bit easier)

EDIT: Found it already, Koush's AnyKernel update @ github. -- Looks easy, I'll give it a crack latter today and see what I can come up with here... (shouldn't be a problem to tweak it to work, lets just hope it'll do us some actual good lol... as we'll still need a replacement kernel built for the V9, also the repack part will prolly need to be altered as the devices differ slightly in that aspect also.)

Edited by Stephen J. Knill

Guest slapnuts

To be honest, I never thought i'd see gb on the v9. thankyou kk.

edit. well f### me, I did notice a massive increase in frame rate and less choppiness in games, so i ran a quadrant, scoring at over 1000. mainly cpu increase (using the advanced quadrant)

considering with your light roast rom it was hitting about 500(note, that was a personal best on the v9 so far) for me this confirms what i suspected with the gaming.

awesome job.

Edited by slapnuts

Guest forforum

You can use the Rom Manager (already in the CM7 rom) to reboot into recovery

Guest Stephen J. Knill
You can use the Rom Manager (already in the CM7 rom) to reboot into recovery

Correct, but only AFTER flashing the Clockwork Recovery Rom... or you will just end up in ZTE Recovery.

Guest Stephen J. Knill
[*]2011-05-21 - Better autobrightness levels and lockscreen disabled by default.

Lock screen works and looks fine for me. It's the Recent Applications list that looks a bit "weird"... looks like it hasn't been re-sized for the larger screen.

And it didn't recognize my 16GB SDcard at first, I had to let it "re-format" (which it didn't...) kinda a weird quirk there.

Other than that... very nice work.

Guest forforum
Correct, but only AFTER flashing the Clockwork Recovery Rom... or you will just end up in ZTE Recovery.

Stephen: you are right, I forgot that I had Clockwork Reocvery already flashed after flashing 2.2. Can you go into Clockwork Recovery via the Vol Down button during power up? That's broken since 2.2!

KK: Been using your ROM for the last two days, it works great. Feel a little bit not as responsive as Sebastian404's 2.2. Mobo Player plays mp4 and flv files faultlessly, I would say better than when I had 2.2. Sound is a little bit softer, but DSP helps. The only little problem I had is wifi won't automatically reconnect after coming out of sleep, need to disable and re-enable wifi to re-conenct. I think I'll stay on this ROM for the time being, it is stable. Great work, thanks again.

Guest Biti

Works perfect, thanks!

On Hungarian V9 Light (Telenor) First gen2 device :P

Calibration perfect too.

Wifi wake problem can be fixed with wifi keep alive

Edited by Biti

Guest forforum
Works perfect, thanks!

On Hungarian V9 Light (Telenor) First gen2 device :P

Calibration perfect too.

Wifi wake problem can be fixed with wifi keep alive

I prefer wifi off while the tab goes to sleep, but reconnects automatically when coming out of sleep, will wifi keep alive do that?

Edited by forforum

Guest cuttysark76

Hello,

I would like to port your work to ZTE joe / Vodafone 945.

Where or how did you get boardconfig.mk and device_v9.mk?

BR

Guest cuttysark76
I forked the ZTE Blade config and worked from that.

Everthing I've done so far can be found here: https://github.com/kalltkaffe

I can fork everthing from your page, but ZTE joe series have a different kernel... How can I copy the touch screen settings from the kernel and port it for your kernel?

Guest Sebastian404

you mean 3.0.1.4? I upped the ramdisk to 8meg in the most builds of clockworkmod recovery as it was having problems with large recovery/boot partitions.... how big do you want it to be?

Recovery Manager, like other programs that use libs or system calls wont work with CM7 unless you move them to the system partition, there was a entry in the bug tracker but I have a feeling its by design....