[ROM][GingerBread]CM7 working on Gen2 ZTE Light/V9 [2011-08-15]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest Caustic Soda

OK, so I should have known this wasn't the best idea.

I have been following the work you guys have been doing regarding mods for the V9, and flashed the leaked ZTE 2.2 rom. Later tried to go to the official Optus rom, and couldn't, as I was no longer running an "official" Optus tab.

Anyway, I figured the upgrade was a relatively pain-free process, so thought I would have a crack at this one.

Well, things didn't exactly go according to plan.

Copied the 2011-05-21 rom onto SD, booted into recovery, and flashed the rom. All seemed to go according to plan, then used the recovery menu to reboot the tab.

Now, I am stuck on the animated droid-on-a-skateboard - the animation just keeps looping.

I have tried removing the battery and rebooting, and the same thing.

Also tried using the ZTE flashing tool to go back to the "unofficial" 2.2, and it didn't work (I should note that I have done this previously, and has worked a treat - not sure what the problem is this time).

In short, I cannot figure out what I should be trying now, as I can't get past the boot animation.

(I am pretty tech-savvy, but this is my first Andriod device, so any suggestions would be appreciated, particularly laid out in baby steps...)

Thanks guys.

Guest garfin
... flashed the leaked ZTE 2.2 rom. Later tried to go to the official Optus rom, and couldn't, as I was no longer running an "official" Optus tab.

Anyway, I figured the upgrade was a relatively pain-free process, so thought I would have a crack at this one.

Well, things didn't exactly go according to plan.

Copied the 2011-05-21 rom onto SD, booted into recovery, and flashed the rom. All seemed to go according to plan, then used the recovery menu to reboot the tab.

Now, I am stuck on the animated droid-on-a-skateboard - the animation just keeps looping.

I have tried removing the battery and rebooting, and the same thing.

Hi CS ,

Yeah same boat.. leaked ZTE Rom .. cant get back to official optus rom.. Anyhow..

So my install of this went a little better than yours by the sounds of things ... here is what i did ..

i copied the 2011-05-21 zip file onto SD , as well as the 'one touch recovery' .apk mentioned earlier in this thread.. (dropped both the 'market' zips on there too while i was at it)

installed the apk , ran it , used the recovery console to 'install zip from SD' and THEN , before rebooting, i also did the 'return to factory defaults - cleanse all user data' option in the recovery console... (or whatever it is correctly called) , THEN rebooted... yes, on initial boot , it took a little while to fire up ..a few anxious minutes, but eventually arrived at desktop & initial setup... oh and kk's later 'market' zip seems to work ok for me .. (you go back into recovery and 'install zip from SD' in the same way ...)

Now, a couple of things i have noted.. (only been running a couple of hours..)

1. one of the widgets on homepage gives 'failed to run' .. i guess its the google search widget , certainly in the same spot.. i ended up deleting it .. no great loss.

2. the Optus APN's were incorrect for my prepaid sim , took a bit of googling to find out i needed to change APN=internet to APN=preconnect

3. the deault 'email' app fails to correctly setup my gmail account ...'Cannot connect to server , Expected String, none found' the gmail app , however, works perfectly fine ...

Does anyone know how to get rid of that 'yuck' white ZTE splash screen at startup ? even a plain black screen would be better than that .. (or dare i say it , the default 'optus' one was nicer..)

Regards

Guest Sebastian404

if you go look in the thread for the leaked zte update... somewhere in there kK posted the files folder he extracted from Optus's official update.

you can use those files with the patched exe from the leaked update to install the 'official' Optus update.

I wish we could have a V9 forum, makes things easier to find...

Guest Caustic Soda
if you go look in the thread for the leaked zte update... somewhere in there kK posted the files folder he extracted from Optus's official update.

you can use those files with the patched exe from the leaked update to install the 'official' Optus update.

I wish we could have a V9 forum, makes things easier to find...

Thanks Sebastian - I will try to track it down now and let you all know how I go.

Guest kallt_kaffe
you mean 3.0.1.4? I upped the ramdisk to 8meg in the most builds of clockworkmod recovery as it was having problems with large recovery/boot partitions.... how big do you want it to be?

Yes I meant 3.0.1.4. I don't remember how large it needs to be but with 3.0.1.4 on the Blade it is large enough to dump the boot partition, extract kernel and ramdisk, replace kernel, rebuild boot.img and flash it. Reports also claims it works on Gen1 Blades with 3.0.2.4 but and Gen1 has 4.5Mb boot partition while Gen2 has 5Mb so it's propably not much more that is needed.

However to be on the safe side, why not make it 16Mb? I think tmpfs doesn't use more RAM than you use anyway and also we have lots of RAM so better be safe than sorry. It's really nice to be able to replace kernels without replacing the rest of boot.img.

Guest kallt_kaffe

Btw, new version in first post with touchscreen calibration working. I think it might be mature enough now to try to get it into the official CM7 project. I'll have to dig into their wiki and find out the right way to proceed from here. :P

Guest Caustic Soda

OK, so I downloaded kk's ROM from here: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1697683 (sorry if not a proper link - haven't figured that out yet).

I ran the ZTE program, unzipped the archive and pointed the directory at the unzipped "files" directory provided by kk.

Clicked "Super User" (not sure if it made a difference).

Clicked "Restore NV"

Everything proceeded according to plan as far as the ZTE restore program was concerned, but when I rebooted, I am still stuck on the cyanogen animation loop.

Have I done something wrong again, missed a step, etc...?

Guest rulinho

Hi. I´m new here.

Recently i had bought the zte light pro and i wonder if i can flash it with the v9's roms. Can anyone help me with this?

Guest droidmania
Works perfect, thanks!

On Hungarian V9 Light (Telenor) First gen2 device :P

Calibration perfect too.

Wifi wake problem can be fixed with wifi keep alive

could anyone report bug of this custom ROM ? and can I change back into my stock ROM ?

Guest LayZeeDK

Thanks a lot for your great work! :P This ROM is running smooth and perfect as well as your gApps 2.3.4 build :rolleyes:

Guest LayZeeDK
OK, so I downloaded kk's ROM from here: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1697683 (sorry if not a proper link - haven't figured that out yet).

I ran the ZTE program, unzipped the archive and pointed the directory at the unzipped "files" directory provided by kk.

Clicked "Super User" (not sure if it made a difference).

Clicked "Restore NV"

Everything proceeded according to plan as far as the ZTE restore program was concerned, but when I rebooted, I am still stuck on the cyanogen animation loop.

Have I done something wrong again, missed a step, etc...?

Well I flashed this ROM through Clockwork Mod Recovery.

Guest Caustic Soda
Well I flashed this ROM through Clockwork Mod Recovery.

Yeah, I used CWR to flash kk's CM7 mod, but I got stuck in a loop.

My previous post you quote is the steps I was following (using another rom from kk) to try to recover back to 2.2

Guest slapnuts
Yeah, I used CWR to flash kk's CM7 mod, but I got stuck in a loop.

My previous post you quote is the steps I was following (using another rom from kk) to try to recover back to 2.2

re-flash the first leaked 2.2 update, then go from there.

Guest Caustic Soda

OK, so it seems I am just a complete w***er....

When I was trying to reflash with the ZTE tool, I was selecting "Restore NV" rather than "Download"

Nevermind that I had used it previously for upgrading to the original leaked 2.2 - my brain just refused to function, and realise that I had the wrong option selected.

Thanks for the help folks...now that I definitely know how to restore, I might have to try the CM7 mod again, and hope for better luck.

Guest Caustic Soda

SUCCESS! I now have CM7 installed, but am yet to play with it at all.

I was getting very frustrated with both the device and myself, so I made a careful note of all the steps I followed.

I will tidy them up soon and post them for reference for others.

Guest XeKToReX

kk, you are a genious!

Between you and Sebastian, you've made this tab worth its $$, I and everyone here appreciate all the work/fun you are putting into/having with this :P

XeKToReX

Guest rulinho
Hi. I´m new here.

Recently i had bought the zte light pro and i wonder if i can flash it with the v9's roms. Can anyone help me with this?

I reply to my self it is possible.

I'd installed in a zte ligth pro from spanish movistar and works great!.

Guest Caustic Soda
heeelp. my zte light is stuck in zte logo after I installed this ROM, could anyone give me a clue ?

I ran into the same problems when I first tried out this rom. My issue, I believe, was that I didn't clear the cache before I rebooted.

Eventually, with the help of everyone here, I managed to get out of it.

I took note of all the steps I followed, and wanted to tidy it up a bit before I posted it, but here is my very rough walkthrough...

(Not sure if all the steps are strictly necessary, but it worked for me)

1. Upgrade to 2.2

- Flash V9_GENERICV1.0.0B03(official) using ZTE flashing tool

2. Get root access

- Install z4root_blade_perm_root_v2.apk

- Run z4root - select Permanent Root option

- You will be asked to enable USB debugging - do it and continue.

- (tab will restart during the process)

3. Install a recovery

- Install RecoveryManager_v0.36b.apk

- Run RecoveryManager - allow superuser access if requested

- Click Recovery tab

- Click Install Recovery

- Install recovery-clockwork-3.1.0.1-v9-gen2.img

- Click reboot into recovery

4. Flash CM7

- select "install zip from sdcard"

- select "choose zip from sdcard"

- navigate to and select the CM7 rom .zip (name will vary depending on latest release)

- Select the "yes" option

- New rom will be installed, and device will remain in recovery

5. Clear caches

- click "Go Back" twice

- select "wipe data/factory reset", and confirm when prompted

- click "advanced"

- click "wipe dalvik cache", and confirm when prompted

- click "fix permissions"

6. Restart

- select "reboot" option (and cross your fingers)

You will also need to flash the google apps that kk has linked in the first post.

Halfway down page 1 there is also a post from kk that has a link to install OneClickRecovery.....I Recommend you do this as soon as possible after installing a working rom.

Edited by Caustic Soda

Guest droidmania
I ran into the same problems when I first tried out this rom. My issue, I believe, was that I didn't clear the cache before I rebooted.

Eventually, with the help of everyone here, I managed to get out of it.

I took note of all the steps I followed, and wanted to tidy it up a bit before I posted it, but here is my very rough walkthrough...

1. Upgrade to 2.2

2. Get root access

3. Install a recovery

- Click Recovery tab

- Click Install Recovery

4. Flash CM7

- navigate to and select the CM7 rom .zip (name will vary depending on latest release)

5. Clear caches

- click "Go Back" twice

- click "advanced"

6. Restart

You will also need to flash the google apps that kk has linked in the first post.

Halfway down page 1 there is also a post from kk that has a link to install OneClickRecovery.....I Recommend you do this as soon as possible after installing a working rom.

Thank You, you bring the light into my Light ...:P

Guest gibbyman
I reply to my self it is possible.

I'd installed in a zte ligth pro from spanish movistar and works great!.

Good for you!

I noticed that Telefonica started selling this tablet (also heard ZTE did some marketing thing with it during a tennis tournament just recently).

I've had the Swedish ZTE Light for about two weeks now (got it shipped to Catalunya by a colleague in Sweden) and so far I have nothing bad to say about this tablet.

- And with kallt_kaffe's CM7 it get's even better. The only thing I miss right now is the FM Radio, but I think I'll try to cope without it...

Guest garfin

1. Upgrade to 2.2

2. Get root access

3. Install a recovery

- Click Recovery tab

- Click Install Recovery

4. Flash CM7

5. Clear caches

- click "Go Back" twice

- click "advanced"

6. Restart

Thanks for the detailed instructions CS .. followed them to the letter .. apart from step1 , where i used KK's 'repackaged Optus 2.2 prepaid ROM' with the supplied ZTE flashing tool , all contained in his zip file, here... http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1697683 (scroll to post #169)

Yay , no more ugly ZTE splashscreen at powerup , and also gave me a chance to note the optus supplied APN's down

Edited by garfin

Guest boutsism

it seems that there is a problem with wifi connection settings in the last update...it stucks and dont open it...now i cant connect in my wifi...