Beginners/Non techie guide to installing Vegacomb

Guest beepo666

Guest beepo666

Hi all,

Sorry if this topic is in the wrong place, feel free to delete or move should it be.

I've just finished part 3 of a blog series to help complete newcomers flash their Vega to the awesome Vegacomb rom.

So far this includes details on such gems as...

• AUDI (Simonta rocks!)
  • Super Simple Recovery Installer (Add.theBad rocks!)
  • VegaComb - (Newbe & Corvus rock!)

The focus is obviously around getting the ROM installed but I've given enough preamble to hopefully give less experienced users some helpful pointers.

Essentially I'm hoping someone will get some mileage out of this. I've tried to keep the writing style as non-technical as possible to help anyone who has been struggling. If there's good feedback I'll keep going and try to cover developments in the community, so please do let me know what you think. Either here or via comments in the blog would be fine. I'd much appreciate it.

If it helps you in any way, I'll be very happy. After all, who wants to have an Advent Vega and only ever use the stock rom? :P

Updated - Non-technical guide to installing roms on your Advent Vega (fixed link, working now!)

Now covers AUDI, The Super Simple Recovery Installer, Flashing back to a Stock ROM.

Edited by beepo666

Guest rosiekatie
Hi all,

Sorry if this topic is in the wrong place, feel free to delete or move should it be.

I've just finished part 3 of a blog series to help complete newcomers flash their Vega to the awesome Vegacomb rom.

So far this includes details on such gems as...

• AUDI (Simonta rocks!)
  • Super Simple Recovery Installer (Add.theBad rocks!)
  • VegaComb - (Newbe & Corvus rock!)

The focus is obviously around getting the ROM installed but I've given enough preamble to hopefully give less experienced users some helpful pointers.

Wow!!! Beepo thanks so much for doing this for us dumbo newbies

Essentially I'm hoping someone will get some mileage out of this. I've tried to keep the writing style as non-technical as possible to help anyone who has been struggling. If there's good feedback I'll keep going and try to cover developments in the community, so please do let me know what you think. Either here or via comments in the blog would be fine. I'd much appreciate it.

If it helps you in any way, I'll be very happy. After all, who wants to have an Advent Vega and only ever use the stock rom? :P thank you so much for writing this uli can't wait to try it <_< :rolleyes:

Non-technical guide to installing roms on your Advent Vega

Edited by rosiekatie

Guest Danne_Swe

Hi!

Had a quick look at your guide, and it looks really nice!

So good to see a lot of helpful people out there. I'm already on Vegacomb, but with your help I probably had gotten there a bit easier and quiker, and I'm not a complete noob after playing with my previous phone, the lovely Blade.

Cheers!

Guest simonta

Nice work, thanks for doing this. I only wish we could sticky it. This is a great introduction to what people will go through here.

Would you consider also producing a PDF version of this so that it could be posted here for newcomers to read? That way, people could bump it to keep it in view.

One small comment. You can only right click and select Run as administrator on Vista and later. On XP, you need to be running as an administrator. Probably not an issue as anyone needing the guide probably doesn't know any better than to run as admin, which is the XP default anyway (boy, i wish Microsoft had said "stuff the developers, if they can't write code that works for non-admins, then so be it" and made restricted user the default - how much better off would we all be?). A quick edit might save you a bunch of "I don't see it" comments on your blog.

Anyway, in my favourites now and thanks again,

Cheers

Simon

Guest ThomasAstor
Would you consider also producing a PDF version of this so that it could be posted here for newcomers to read? That way, people could bump it to keep it in view.

One small comment. You can only right click and select Run as administrator on Vista and later. On XP, you need to be running as an administrator. Probably not an issue as anyone needing the guide probably doesn't know any better than to run as admin, which is the XP default anyway (boy, i wish Microsoft had said "stuff the developers, if they can't write code that works for non-admins, then so be it" and made restricted user the default - how much better off would we all be?). A quick edit might save you a bunch of "I don't see it" comments on your blog.

Hi

Would the install be the same with OSX tiger?

Asking the question as I tried to install ROMs but never got around it. So, the idea of a PDF is welcome too.

Thanks

Guest Bazabaza

Thanks for this. have reverted to stock rom v1.10. Tried to install recovery keep getting daemon still not running error. Doesn't install recovery for next step? Any ideas anybody?

Edited by Bazabaza

Guest beepo666

OSX is an interesting one as Advent only provide flashing to stock roms for Windows machines, unless I'm mistaken. Actually flashing new roms other than stock is lovely on OSX, it just seems to work every time for me. Once I find a way to flash to stock I'll do a guide for you.

bazabaza, i suggest a reboot of everything and then try all the steps again. If that fails then search this forum for Add.theBad's super simple installer and see if anyone else has the same problem with the same version of Windows as you etc. Of course maybe someone else has the issue due to drivers as well. Not sure really but if you post in this thread for help maybe others mmight not see it.

PDF, not sure yet, I'll give it some thought :-)

Guest Bazabaza

Thanks Beepo666 still no good.

Even trying to get the r8 to install gives the same error. Used to work fine..now nothing works. have update adb sdk to no avail. Google gives no clue. Have posted a thread in despiration.

Guest beepo666

I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble mate. What happens if you try to ADB Shell into your device? This will help to tell us if it's not working because of the drivers or the simple recovery installler. My guess is it's the drivers for some reason.

Try that and let us know :-)

Edited by beepo666

Guest Yogimax

The link in post 1 is broken and points to a dead URL - you have to hit home to get to the postings...

Once you get there, it is an excellent resource.

Cheers

Guest Stevonator
The link in post 1 is broken and points to a dead URL - you have to hit home to get to the postings...

Once you get there, it is an excellent resource.

Cheers

Ye following on from Yogimax the main link is broken. If this guide is for non-techies you may want to fix it to avoid confusion:)

Guest budgie74

Again a big thanks for this have finally changed roms thanks to everyone who helped this happen am looking forward to the final version of vegacomb well done to all concerned

Guest beepo666

The link to the guide is fixed in the first post now. I'm such a noob with WordPress, I was playing with Permalinks and broke everything in true Epic Fail fashion. All ok now.

Thank you for all the inspiring comments, very glad it's helping you all. I'm adding more to the guide today :P

Guest Bazabaza

Adb shell returns the same

C:\Advent>adb shell

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

** daemon still not runningerror: cannot connect to daemon

C:\Advent>

Guest beepo666
Adb shell returns the same

C:\Advent>adb shell

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

** daemon still not runningerror: cannot connect to daemon

C:\Advent>

I've updated the site a little and there's a few comments from users that hve hadd trouble installing the drivers and then restarting the vega a few times sorted it out. I'll write up their findings and/ update the beginners guide further once i get back to decent WiFi signal. Currently on a bus near Bangkok trying to type on the Vega in full sun!

Guest Gruzagrew
My pleasure, I'm glad it's been well received so far, you can expect more in the very near future :-)

Absolutely fantastic! I have been struggling for ages with driver issues on XP and being able to flash properly. I followed your instructions to the letter and I am now a proud owner of a honeycomb based tablet :-)

The manual was simple and easy to follow and now I know I can easily reflash to the stock ROM or flash any of the great ROMs out there.

Big thanks for this one!!!!

Guest Yogimax

As I said previously great guide!

You may however want to give a little more detail in post 4 as to how to clear the Dalvik cache which is under the advanced menu. :P

Also, rather than directly link to the 1.3 Beta in post 1, could you link to the VegaComb page at http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthre...and-TeamVillain! which will have the latest build available for download?

Keep up the good work...

Guest beepo666
As I said previously great guide!

You may however want to give a little more detail in post 4 as to how to clear the Dalvik cache which is under the advanced menu. <_<

Also, rather than directly link to the 1.3 Beta in post 1, could you link to the VegaComb page at http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthre...and-TeamVillain! which will have the latest build available for download?

Keep up the good work...

Don't worry I'll keep going as long as there's a use for it. I have some other stuff I want to blog still, including the whole ROM Manager, Recovery, USB Mode switching, and all the other stuff that gets asked every day.

Just arrived at my hotel and I'm crossing the border into Cambodia tomorrow. I'll update from the MacBook during the drive and, if I don't get shot or something, I'll update it asap for you. Thanks for the link idea especially EDIT - Done, will save me constantly updating.

It's lovely to get these great comments, I am genuinely really chuffed to bits. Here's the thing, if you like the guide and find it useful it's only really thanks to Paul, Newbe5, HomerSP, Simonta, ZebraDroid et al for doing the hard graft. I'm just writing up the stuff.

Oh, the only other thing is that there are a few people still having trouble. If we could get detail on the exact steps you are following, down to the level of when you plugged stuff in or out, with screenshots - basically as much information as possible. Some kind soul here will help you, i guarantee someone has had the same problem. If you can give enough detail I'll write it up into the blog so others can just be linked to it.

Off to shower and hit the hay, knackered and smell of road sweat. :rolleyes:

Do me a favour, if you like the blog would you tweet it or something. :P Thanks all!

Edited by beepo666

Guest Bazabaza
I've updated the site a little and there's a few comments from users that hve hadd trouble installing the drivers and then restarting the vega a few times sorted it out. I'll write up their findings and/ update the beginners guide further once i get back to decent WiFi signal. Currently on a bus near Bangkok trying to type on the Vega in full sun!

Thanks