USB Host

Guest megazig

Guest megazig

I've spent the past 2 days reading over pages of info on android kernel and shared objects preparing for starting to contribute for the dell streak. While I was doing so I remembered my goal to compile a libftdi.so for my tablet and for my dell streak so that I can use a usbgecko with them for truly portable RE work.

While my tablet has 2 USB ports with one for host, I wasn't sure if the streak worked in host mode already. Has anyone had experience running any usb devices with the streak set to host. I am mostly wondering if it's already been done or if I would

Guest undrwater
I've spent the past 2 days reading over pages of info on android kernel and shared objects preparing for starting to contribute for the dell streak. While I was doing so I remembered my goal to compile a libftdi.so for my tablet and for my dell streak so that I can use a usbgecko with them for truly portable RE work.

While my tablet has 2 USB ports with one for host, I wasn't sure if the streak worked in host mode already. Has anyone had experience running any usb devices with the streak set to host. I am mostly wondering if it's already been done or if I would

There was software support for usb host with android 1.6 which allowed for use of external devices. Unfortunately, this support seems to have been dropped with 2.2. If you can figure out where/how to enable this, you would make many people happy. I personally would appreciate the use if that ftdi driver.

DJ_Steve has stated that he has no interest in looking into this.

Edited by undrwater

Guest megazig

thanks for the info. it gave me an idea of what to begin googing for info.

I see that it was available up to 2.1 with a modified connector. my streak came with 2.2 so I'll have to grab some old images to test out getting it working with that first. then I'll have to add the capabilities back into the newest kernel.

Guest undrwater
thanks for the info. it gave me an idea of what to begin googing for info.

I see that it was available up to 2.1 with a modified connector. my streak came with 2.2 so I'll have to grab some old images to test out getting it working with that first. then I'll have to add the capabilities back into the newest kernel.

I'm assuming the mods you found came from linuxslate.com? If not, you have a new place to look. I should have mentioned that in my previous post to help reduce your workload.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help, including testing. Also, there is an irc channel on freenode called #dellstreak that can be a useful place to get / share info.

Guest megazig

I'll check that site out

I was on the irc channel yesterday under the nick gizagem since I have my other machine logged in 24/7 as megazig and am looking into a nice ssh/screen app for android right now.

I'll keep you on the list of people to test once I have it working on this end

• 2 weeks later...
Guest undrwater
I'll check that site out

I was on the irc channel yesterday under the nick gizagem since I have my other machine logged in 24/7 as megazig and am looking into a nice ssh/screen app for android right now.

I'll keep you on the list of people to test once I have it working on this end

I look forward to it. :D

Guest amcolian

DJ Steve has got USB host working on his current beta rom StreakDroid 1.9.1 beta 5... PM him for the link to download... AFAIK, this is supposed to be much faster and smoother than 1.9 (which in itself was an awesome rom!)

Guest megazig

Steve, you've done it again.

I'll get the ftdi driver out there once I can test it working.

also, anyone owning a usbgecko for GC/Wii, let me know. I need beta testers for my android port of the interface for it

Guest Stephen Hyde

havent a clue on pinouts - im using the streak dock + a mini usb to female usb cable that i got with some old media player and it works well. suspect using just cable will need a wiring change though

Guest mrmrmrmr

seems like we'll have to short pins 2 and 4 on the PDMI side of the cable for a connection without Streak Dock.

I can modify one of my spare cables and let you know the results after Steve releases the new firmware.

Guest krazman
seems like we'll have to short pins 2 and 4 on the PDMI side of the cable for a connection without Streak Dock.

I can modify one of my spare cables and let you know the results after Steve releases the new firmware.

This link discusses modifying the USB end of the charging cable so streak will recognize non-Dell branded cables. Might this help?

http://forum.pocketables.net/showthread.ph...=charging+cable

See post #17 for diagram.

mrmrmrmr i can give you link to beta if ya wanna test

I would sure like to beta test for you too, DJ Steve.

Edited by krazman

Guest mrmrmrmr
mrmrmrmr i can give you link to beta if ya wanna test

Sure I'd like to test but I only have one Streak, so I'll have to ask "shall I have to wipe data passing from 1.9.0 or not ?"

if I won't need to install all apps from zero, then I'd love to test.

Guest adzman808
Sure I'd like to test but I only have one Streak, so I'll have to ask "shall I have to wipe data passing from 1.9.0 or not ?"

if I won't need to install all apps from zero, then I'd love to test.

i'm no expert, but in case it reassures you, i went steve rom - 318 - 319 - 1.9.volboost - 1.9.NO volboost over the course of 2011

and haven't ever factory reset once... (so far!!)

Guest adzman808
This link discusses modifying the USB end of the charging cable so streak will recognize non-Dell branded cables. Might this help?

http://forum.pocketables.net/showthread.ph...=charging+cable

See post #17 for diagram.

I would sure like to beta test for you too, DJ Steve.

Good find ;)

This mod is too force charging from chargers that don't present the handset with the sufficient mA value to engage charge mode

most ppl make this mod on the charger, rather than the cable

this mod is the same IN PRINCIPLE as the mod needed for the OTG cable (usb host support), in that the dell cable needs modifying to make the handset treat the usb device as a device & not a charger or as a host device it's self !!

if i understand ok (..................) the usb host mod will work with the streak dock cos the mini usb port of the dock already bridges the necessary pins to enable OTG

Guest mrmrmrmr

I don't have the rom yet.

the cable is easy. Just have to open the PDMI side and then solder pins 2 and 4 together.

These 2 pins are the 2 pins on right side when you face the even side of the connector.

So, the even side is like:

........8 6 4 2

when you face the odd side of the connector, they are numbered like:

1 3 5 7........