New official Blade FroYo update (Sapo A5)

Guest mELIANTE

Guest wbaw
wondering what to test for hsupa in this rom

try installing it & doing a speed test.

Anyway, I had a look, the system.img is big, it contains a lot of operator branded apps, it'll need stock partition sizes to install.

also got this info from build.prop

ro.build.id=FRF91

ro.build.display.id=FRY_P733NV1.0.0B04

ro.build.version.incremental=20110413.075534

ro.build.version.sdk=8

ro.build.version.codename=REL

ro.build.version.release=2.2

ro.build.date=Wed Apr 13 08:10:43 CST 2011

ro.build.date.utc=1302653443

So it was built before the Chinese image.bin update.

And found these dates in amss.mbn ...

Apr 13 2011

I wonder if the first date in amss.mbn is the operator's build date & the second date is the zte build date.

The 20110106 date matches the teliasonera amss.mbn but the t-mobile hungary amss.mbn is 20110118, so is the hungarian one the most recent?

Edited by wbaw

Guest primo007
try installing it & doing a speed test.

Anyway, I had a look, the system.img is big, it contains a lot of operator branded apps, it'll need stock partition sizes to install.

also got this info from build.prop

ro.build.id=FRF91

ro.build.display.id=FRY_P733NV1.0.0B04

ro.build.version.incremental=20110413.075534

ro.build.version.sdk=8

ro.build.version.codename=REL

ro.build.version.release=2.2

ro.build.date=Wed Apr 13 08:10:43 CST 2011

ro.build.date.utc=1302653443

So it was built before the Chinese image.bin update.

And found these dates in amss.mbn ...

Apr 13 2011

I wonder if the first date in amss.mbn is the operator's build date & the second date is the zte build date.

The 20110106 date matches the teliasonera amss.mbn but the t-mobile hungary amss.mbn is 20110118, so is the hungarian one the most recent?

Hi!

Can you make a modified firmware package from the t-mobile hungary version (like your v4 and v5 here), since it seems to be the most recent firmware?

Thank you

Guest hedgepigdaniel

Update Instructions say the update process takes 510 minutes (do they mean 5-10?), and that is not a mistranslation. Perhaps a similar slip of the finger led someone to type HSUPA, but I certainly hope this can get it working...

I will make an update package later today for people to try out if they want to, at their own risk.

Has anyone got a Sapo A5 and have they tried installing Blade TPTs/custom firmware from modaco on them? I would say that given the fact that it looks different, it may be different inside!

Edited by hedgepigdaniel

Guest hedgepigdaniel

The other thing is that HSUPA is in the features list of the phone, but is not in the list of new features for this B04 update (which includes only Android 2.2). Unless the HSUPA was only advertised after this update was released, the Sapo A5 might have different hardware.

So the next question for Sapo A5 owners is: Do you get HSUPA (upload speed > 400kb/s) or not? (either on 2.1 or on 2.2)

Guest mELIANTE

Sapo useres have been using the roms for the blade, CM7 Gen2 included, so I suppose it's the same hardware.

And before the update HSUPA was not advertised, only HSDPA.

Guest KACE_231
Sapo useres have been using the roms for the blade, CM7 Gen2 included, so I suppose it's the same hardware.

And before the update HSUPA was not advertised, only HSDPA.

Can you test it? if you are running the official update,

Also would stuff like download/upload speeds vary based on how good your connection signal to the cell towers are?

Edited by KACE_231

Guest wbaw
Hi!

Can you make a modified firmware package from the t-mobile hungary version (like your v4 and v5 here), since it seems to be the most recent firmware?

Thank you

Well, I'm not sure it is. There are two dates in some of the amss.mbn files, only one of the dates is newer in the Hungarian version, the other date is more recent in this Portuguese update. Half of the amss.mbn files don't even have the second date in them & the first date matches the build date in build.prop. The Hungarian T-Mobile amss.mbn seems very similar to the Swedish TeliaSonera version, which was in v4 & below.

Anyway you can just swap the amss.mbn yourself if you want to try it out & see if you notice any difference. If any is noticeably better than any other then I'll include that version.

Edited by wbaw

Guest mELIANTE
Can you test it? if you are running the official update,

Also would stuff like download/upload speeds vary based on how good your connection signal to the cell towers are?

I don't have a Sapo, I have the original San Francisco :D

Guest hedgepigdaniel

This Portuguese amss.mbn is significantly different in file size (17,502,208 bytes vs 17,514,496 bytes of the TeliaSonera one, which is closely matched by other gen2 ones)

I've attached a table of the md5 hashes of the files in the so far released official updates for Blade; someone may find it useful. There are some clear trends.

Well if HSUPA was only advertised afterwards, then I am very excited to flash this and see if it works.

Blade_official_firmware_md5_table.zip

Guest wbaw

I was comparing the differences in the strings found in the amss.mbn files. there is a big difference between comviq & teliasonera versions, then a small difference between that and the hungarian, then another big difference between that & the greek, not tried this one yet.

Edited by wbaw

Guest wbaw
Hi!

Thank you

I made one with the Portuguese amss.mbn from this topic, I think this could be the latest version. Again, I notice no real difference. You can replace the amss.mbn from my packages with any that you want to try.

Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v7.zip size:16.02mb md5:c10cd48bbfb8e2c16384ebb49e06eb5c sha1:f93387560270d4f0fa1962456972d06d1bd7d08a partitions: 2mb cache, 160mb system, 294mb data

Edited by wbaw

Guest primo007
I made one with the Portuguese amss.mbn from this topic, I think this could be the latest version. Again, I notice no real difference. You can replace the amss.mbn from my packages with any that you want to try.

Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v7.zip size:16.02mb md5:c10cd48bbfb8e2c16384ebb49e06eb5c sha1:f93387560270d4f0fa1962456972d06d1bd7d08a partitions: 2mb cache, 160mb system, 294mb data

Thank you very much. I have a hun t-mobile stock gen2 blade, so I can't do TPT. What should I do to make it work with the download.exe method? And which mbn files can I safely replace without making a brick?

Guest wbaw
Thank you very much. I have a hun t-mobile stock gen2 blade, so I can't do TPT. What should I do to make it work with the download.exe method? And which mbn files can I safely replace without making a brick?

amss.mbn is the only safe .mbn file to change really, the others depend on each other a bit. I think you just need to replace recovery.img with a gen2 stock version to make it work in windows, but I'm not totally sure, I've not done it yet. there is more risk with a windows flash, my gen1-to-gen2 tpts have gen1 oemsbl.mbn & partition.mbn, so it works like a gen1 downgrade, so if you get it wrong then you corrupt your imei. hedgepigdaniel has been repacking my partition layouts for use in windows, there's not much change since v5, the different amss.mbn files seem to make no real noticeable difference. You can only really gain fastboot mode with vol+ at boot, 15mb internal nand storage space overall & a better internal nand partition layout over a stock gen2 phone. I still don't get hsupa.

Edited by wbaw

Guest hedgepigdaniel

If you want to make one yourself, then get another package and replace the files with those you want to flash (but as wbaw said you must have a stock recovery partition that works after flashing. In this case you can use the entire Portuguese update, because it is stock)

You can download any combination of files you like, but If you flash something that doesn't boot then you are in trouble.

I tried flashing the Portuguese update with that method today. It all worked correctly, but no HSUPA for me I'm afraid.

Guest hedgepigdaniel

hecatae, or anyone else who can get HSUPA, I would still love to test with your channel1.nvm and work out the difference if it works.

Guest eucurto

i have a Sapo A5 (GEN1) with SS5 (GEN1). I want to try this update mainly because of HSUPA and to update to GEN2.

1-if i flash with this exe (i know i have to flash the stock recovery to have FTM access) then what i have to do to flash custom ROMs again being on GEN2?

2-how to do a HSUPA test? can it be done independent of network signal?

3-from what i know, this update changes the partitions sizes. will this interfere when flashing CM7 or other custom ROM?

4-how can i check partitions sizes on my Blade?

thank you

Guest hedgepigdaniel
i have a Sapo A5 (GEN1) with SS5 (GEN1). I want to try this update mainly because of HSUPA and to update to GEN2.

1-if i flash with this exe (i know i have to flash the stock recovery to have FTM access) then what i have to do to flash custom ROMs again being on GEN2?

2-how to do a HSUPA test? can it be done independent of network signal?

3-from what i know, this update changes the partitions sizes. will this interfere when flashing CM7 or other custom ROM?

4-how can i check partitions sizes on my Blade?

thank you

1. Here is a firmware package containing this new Portuguese firmware, but not the ROM. It can be flashed as per the instructions in this thread - installing a custom ROM is then easy. If you used the stock upgrader you would have to root again etc.

2. download speedtest.net from market and do a test. HSUPA = upload rate > 400kb/s. For everyone's benefit, do a test before and after the upgrade and post your results!

3. Yes, but all custom ROMs should fit on a stock partition layout. You'll just have less space on data.

Guest eucurto
1. Here is a firmware package containing this new Portuguese firmware, but not the ROM. It can be flashed as per the instructions in this thread - installing a custom ROM is then easy. If you used the stock upgrader you would have to root again etc.

2. download speedtest.net from market and do a test. HSUPA = upload rate > 400kb/s. For everyone's benefit, do a test before and after the upgrade and post your results!

3. Yes, but all custom ROMs should fit on a stock partition layout. You'll just have less space on data.

thank you. i will do that!

just one question: from your topic there are several firmware packages to download, should we choose the one that our phone is or the one we what our phone to become? sorry if i'm unclear.... or should i use the one you posted here?

the rest of the instructions i understand.

Guest hedgepigdaniel
thank you. i will do that!

just one question: from your topic there are several firmware packages to download, should we choose the one that our phone is or the one we what our phone to become? sorry if i'm unclear.... or should i use the one you posted here?

the rest of the instructions i understand.

Use the one I posted here (otherwise you wouldn't be using the Portuguese firmware at all)