New wifi driver

Guest wbaw

Guest wbaw
How about making a pull request here? :D

https://github.com/HCDRJacob/proprietary_vendor_zte

Well, I'm not totally sure how all that works. I'm not a member of the CM7 team, it's up to Jacob & Tom G whether they want to include it or not. They're both aware that other wifi drivers exist.

I mentioned it to Tom G on irc before, he didn't seem interested, but if lots of people report improved wifi performance & if there are any real bugs fixed, then it might get included in CM7. I posted it here so that people can test it & post their feedback. Different people experience different wifi problems, some of it depends on their wifi router/access point, so we need feedback on it...

Also, I'm not sure that it's much better, it's certainly not perfect. It'd be much better if the CM7 team had an open source wifi driver to work with & spent their time on making that work, imo.

It's not the only wifi driver, just the most recent that I have, they seem to vary in each different operator's stock roms. I might add a few other packages & start a poll, see if we can find out if there is one better than the others.

Edited by wbaw

Guest wbaw
yes, reflashing the rom fixed my wifi, thanks for help. If anyone is interested I am using FLB r11.

FLB 11 wont let you change wifi driver because of something changed in the kernel, afaik. It should work on other roms.

Guest Len Ash
FLB 11 wont let you change wifi driver because of something changed in the kernel, afaik. It should work on other roms.

Atheros module is the same as SS RLS4...

However, it works far far better than the hideous module in CM7, which, if I'm not mistaken, is from Eclair. Or before. Like Donut.

Nice.

Guest shadowninty

I'm finding the driver to not be any better than CMs, but I have wifi set to always on when sleeping

Ill keep it for the 2MB space saving anyway

Thanks wbaw

Guest tmbt

I'm not having any improvement using this driver. Don't have any problems reconnecting after the sleep mode but the bug Netgear DG834 + ZTE Blade is not fixed.

Guest Paden

Had hoped this driver might have solved an issue I'm having with CM7 where the phone looses it's bluetooth connection to my cars hands-free when the screen goes to sleep, as I believe wi-fi & bluetooth use the same chip (?)

No joy though :D

Good work though wbaw

Cheers, Paul

Guest wbaw
Atheros module is the same as SS RLS4...

However, it works far far better than the hideous module in CM7, which, if I'm not mistaken, is from Eclair. Or before. Like Donut.

Nice.

The CM7 module is from Froyo, but it's from one of the early Chinese beta versions. The reason it's so big is because it's a debug build (although that's no use to CM7 or their developers, they don't have the source).

This version is far from perfect, but it seems a bit better to me & it's over 2mb smaller. I think there should be a few small bugs fixed between this 1.1 version & the early beta used in CM7, but the big main ones remain the same, or little improved.

Guest Len Ash
The CM7 module is from Froyo, but it's from one of the early Chinese beta versions. The reason it's so big is because it's a debug build (although that's no use to CM7 or their developers, they don't have the source).

This version is far from perfect, but it seems a bit better to me & it's over 2mb smaller. I think there should be a few small bugs fixed between this 1.1 version & the early beta used in CM7, but the big main ones remain the same, or little improved.

Yep - reconnection is still hit and miss, but less so. The WiFi "sleep" is greatly improved.

Guest Grain

If it's really a vendor driver and not some modified open source driver it might also be big because vendors tend to not use the kernel wifi infrastructure but roll their own. For wifi drivers this can easily make the difference between a 50k driver and a 2+MB driver. Look at normal in-kernel wifi kernel modules. They are mostly smaller than 100k (and quite often MUCH better than vendor drivers :D ).

Guest wbaw
If it's really a vendor driver and not some modified open source driver it might also be big because vendors tend to not use the kernel wifi infrastructure but roll their own. For wifi drivers this can easily make the difference between a 50k driver and a 2+MB driver. Look at normal in-kernel wifi kernel modules. They are mostly smaller than 100k (and quite often MUCH better than vendor drivers :D ).

It really is a vendor compiled wifi driver, ripped from one of the first zte betas of froyo, which leaked. ZTE haven't released the source for the wifi driver. Tom G did find an open source driver from somewhere else that kind of worked, but it had so many problems that they went back to the old vendor compiled one.

All the wifi drivers in all the final release froyo stock roms for the blade are around 290k, the one CM7 is using is 3mb.

Edited by wbaw

Guest anewman

Like this one better than standard, CM 7.0.3. Consistent reconnecting when waking. Most recentt CM7's including 7.0.3 seem to kill my battery faster though.

Edited by anewman

Guest hecatae

we would have to submit this through gerrit if we want it included in cm7.

is there a speed increase when watching youtube etc?

Guest Len Ash
we would have to submit this through gerrit if we want it included in cm7.

is there a speed increase when watching youtube etc?

Hmmm

this is definitely NOT a fix, just an improvement.

Trying on 2 different phones over the past "day", better, but...

kk was on the right track...

Guest bladbum

Just wanted to say thanks for this, as everyone has already noted it's not a complete fix, but it had noticably improved conecting with my wifi, but I haven't yet tried out in the real world.

Blade-CyanogenMod 7-Gen 1.

Guest CaptainSpectacular

So bad IMO. With this driver, my wifi connection go away when screen is off, even with sleep policy set to "never". With the old one it's ok.

I don't test yet with an app using wifi when screen's off, maybe wifi don't disconnect when some app use it ?

Guest targetbsp
So bad IMO. With this driver, my wifi connection go away when screen is off, even with sleep policy set to "never". With the old one it's ok.

I'm not entirely sure how you manage that because the Blade is (in)famous for being incapable of that!

Guest shadowninty
I'm not entirely sure how you manage that because the Blade is (in)famous for being incapable of that!

happens to me too

annoying for downloading nightlies, but hey!

Guest CaptainSpectacular

Really strange like I say on another thread. I'm really sure that my Blade can do that. Or my wifi simply reconnect himself at the speed of light.

I'm using MPC remote, wich's like his name say, an remote app for MPC software. When I play a movie on my PC, the app can show me the "seekbar" with the actual time of the movie. When I turn my screen Off, then turn On for turn down the volume or another task, my wifi connection is always On, the app show to me the exact position of the seekbar, with maybe 1 or 2 second of latency.

And my wifi icon is always here and green.

With the new driver, the wifi icon is not here immediatly after turning the screen On, even with sleep policy set to "never". Maybe it's when the wifi is not in use ?

Guest jolleri

Hey, my wifi reconnects more often after sleep with this than with the old driver, definitely an improvement! Thanks!!

Although with me it will still only reconnect like ~50% of the time.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does this mean that its possible to extract and use the wifi driver from Swedish Spring as well? Cause that one worked a 100%, for me at least..

Guest Len Ash
Hey, my wifi reconnects more often after sleep with this than with the old driver, definitely an improvement! Thanks!!

Although with me it will still only reconnect like ~50% of the time.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does this mean that its possible to extract and use the wifi driver from Swedish Spring as well? Cause that one worked a 100%, for me at least..

This is the same module as SS4. SS5 has a slightly later one, but is no different in reality.

It is not, unfortunately, just down to these files. There are other factors involved. (No, not wpa supplicant scan)

Guest wbaw
This is the same module as SS4. SS5 has a slightly later one, but is no different in reality.

It is not, unfortunately, just down to these files. There are other factors involved. (No, not wpa supplicant scan)

I don't see how any of that can be true at all, stop making stuff up.

This isn't the wifi module from any version of Swedish Spring. The China Unicom rom which I copied it from was released later than any release of Swedish Spring, it is the latest stock rom. Kallt didnt mention changing the wifi driver between rls4 & rls5, I can't see any reason why he'd change it from the default wifi driver included in the TeliaSonera stock rom that he based his rom on, or where he could have got a more recent wifi driver from & afaik he never mentioned replacing the wifi driver.

Edited by wbaw

Guest socketbind

Thought I would share, this new driver improves my reception and now the phone actually reconnects (quite fast I might add) on its own after sleep without the need of any sort of wifi fix app.

Oh forgot to mention, I use it with a modded Vodafone Hungary rom.

Edited by socketbind

Guest Len Ash
I don't see how any of that can be true at all, stop making stuff up.

This isn't the wifi module from any version of Swedish Spring. The China Unicom rom which I copied it from was released later than any release of Swedish Spring, it is the latest stock rom. Kallt didnt mention changing the wifi driver between rls4 & rls5, I can't see any reason why he'd change it from the default wifi driver included in the TeliaSonera stock rom that he based his rom on, or where he could have got a more recent wifi driver from & afaik he never mentioned replacing the wifi driver.

Perhaps another read of kk's tome would reveal more to you than you appear to have gleaned. Seems you are expert on all things Atheros?

You could try not to be too overtly abrasive, given your candour...

Edited by Len Ash

Guest Pelemane
Perhaps another read of kk's tome would reveal more to you than your appear to have gleaned. Seems you are expert on all things Atheros?

Perhaps you could try not to be too abrasive, given your candour...

Links or didn't happen.