Official Froyo update for M860

Guest Simon O

Guest Simon O

Just thinking since this is for the CDMA version of the U8230, the M860, it probably will need a lot of hacking to get working if at all.

Guest twrock
Just thinking since this is for the CDMA version of the U8230, the M860, it probably will need a lot of hacking to get working if at all.

Oh, then there is probably not much I can do with this. (Slow download, btw.)

Any chance we can get something useful like a driver for the front facing camera? Same hardware there? (Is my ignorance showing?) :D

Edited by twrock

Guest belorussian

It has Qualcomm MSM7625 processor, this upgrade unuseful for us. Maybe drivers...it will be good to take them out of this rom

Guest Simon O

It seems to be mostly the same hardware as the U8230. Maybe the CPU is different, not sure.

By the way if anybody wants a quick and easy way to unpack the update, download DSIXDA Kitchen. It will also let you deodex the framework and system apps making it a lot smaller and easier to port.

If I still had a Pulse I'd test this out myself

Guest twrock
It seems to be mostly the same hardware as the U8230. Maybe the CPU is different, not sure.

By the way if anybody wants a quick and easy way to unpack the update, download DSIXDA Kitchen. It will also let you deodex the framework and system apps making it a lot smaller and easier to port.

If I still had a Pulse I'd test this out myself

Tease. :D

I'm deodexing now.

Incidentally for anyone else who unpacks this, there are two separate *.app files in the archive. You need to unpack update_m860_froyo.app to get to the system.img. (Boot.img is in the standard updata.app.)

Edited by twrock

Guest twrock

Stock ROM only. Deodexed. No modifications.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mxugv5v3yzo0jo2

Enjoy.

Edit: BTW, I'm not suggesting that you can install this and it will work! This is just for people who might like to do something with "parts" of this rom. Actually creating something out of this is far beyond my ability. :D

Edited by twrock

Guest thisweb

A quick comparison on GSM arena shows that the U8230 has different main camera to the U8220 so probably the froyo driver won't work on pulse. However it also says 8220 has no front camera so i'm not sure how reliable this is, unless front camera is specific to T-mobile pulse (like some Samsung Galaxys had front camera but not all) Also not sure why U8230 would have lower camera res than U8220 but if it does I am guesing its a different camera? This site has all the specs in detail if anyone is interested.

U8230

Camera Primary 3.15 MP, 2048x1536 pixels, autofocus

Video

Secondary Yes, VGA

source: http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_u8230-3191.php

U8220

Camera Primary 3.15 MP, 2592 x 1944 pixels, autofocus

Features Geo-tagging

Video Yes

Secondary No

source: http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_u8220-3144.php

Edit: ok just realised maybe its probably a typo on the website as says 3.15 MP for both = 2048x1536

So ..it may still be usefull! Yay!!

Edited by thisweb

Guest Richard_Arkless
A quick comparison on GSM arena shows that the U8230 has different main camera to the U8220 so probably the froyo driver won't work on pulse. However it also says 8220 has no front camera so i'm not sure how reliable this is, unless front camera is specific to T-mobile pulse (like some Samsung Galaxys had front camera but not all) Also not sure why U8230 would have lower camera res than U8220 but if it does I am guesing its a different camera? This site has all the specs in detail if anyone is interested.

U8230

Camera Primary 3.15 MP, 2048x1536 pixels, autofocus

Video

Secondary Yes, VGA

source: http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_u8230-3191.php

U8220

Camera Primary 3.15 MP, 2592 x 1944 pixels, autofocus

Features Geo-tagging

Video Yes

Secondary No

source: http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_u8220-3144.php

both phones are the same, this froyo update is for the m8260 aka the ascend, I have looked at the specs and the main differences that it has compared to the u82x0 is that it has 256mb ram instead of 192mb, 512 mb rom instead of 256 and Qualcomm MSM7625 instead of the Qualcomm MSM7200A and is CDMA not gsm

Based on past experience that is not good for us and will be unlikely to get ported

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest thisweb
both phones are the same, this froyo update is for the m8260 aka the ascend, I have looked at the specs and the main differences that it has compared to the u82x0 is that it has 256mb ram instead of 192mb, 512 mb rom instead of 256 and Qualcomm MSM7625 instead of the Qualcomm MSM7200A and is CDMA not gsm

Based on past experience that is not good for us and will be unlikely to get ported

Ok, no porting but how about the camera driver? Does it matter about processor/ram of the Ascend phone won't the camera driver be pretty much the same/identical regardless of those bits. CAmera is all we need as we have everything else in froyo now. (and gingerbread bar few minor bugs.)

Guest Richard_Arkless
Ok, no porting but how about the camera driver? Does it matter about processor/ram of the Ascend phone won't the camera driver be pretty much the same/identical regardless of those bits. CAmera is all we need as we have everything else in froyo now. (and gingerbread bar few minor bugs.)

If I remember correctly the only reason why the front and back facing camera never worked (back camera did work in cm6) was because the driver needs to modified to work with gingerbread and to do that the source code is needed, which isnt available, if the m8260 has the same camera hardware and has the source code available then it should be very simple to get both cameras working but based on huawei's past reputation I doubt that will happen

Guest James Kei
Stock ROM only. Deodexed. No modifications.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mxugv5v3yzo0jo2

Enjoy.

Edit: BTW, I'm not suggesting that you can install this and it will work! This is just for people who might like to do something with "parts" of this rom. Actually creating something out of this is far beyond my ability. ;)

Can someone modify this ROM to CWM recovery installable custom zip, also reduce the size so other has U8220 (1.5 ROM version) can also enjoy it. Does not have to be fully functional, no camera is fine. As long as phone / wifi / 3G / BT / GPS / tether works.

cheers

James

Edited by James Kei

Guest Richard_Arkless
Can someone modify this ROM to CWM recovery installable custom zip, also reduce the size so other has U8220 (1.5 ROM version) can also enjoy it. Does not have to be fully functional, no camera is fine. As long as phone / wifi / 3G / BT / GPS / tether works.

cheers

James

Did you read the last bit, "I'm not suggesting that you can install this and it will work!"

That means that even if you do reduce the size it will still not boot because it is meant for the m2860 which is a completely different phone to the u8220

and like I said before the possibility of porting this to the phone is slim

EDIT: fibble should probably change the title to say its for the m2860 not the u8230

Guest twrock
Did you read the last bit, "I'm not suggesting that you can install this and it will work!"

;)

To clarify, no, this rom will not work on the 8220/Pulse. I uploaded that rom zip just to try to do my part to make it easier for someone else to work with specific parts of the rom that might be useful.

OT: Why does the MoDaCo logo dude all of a sudden have a USA flag hoody?

Guest twrock
If I remember correctly the only reason why the front and back facing camera never worked (back camera did work in cm6) was because the driver needs to modified to work with gingerbread and to do that the source code is needed, which isnt available, if the m8260 has the same camera hardware and has the source code available then it should be very simple to get both cameras working but based on huawei's past reputation I doubt that will happen

Revisiting this thread.

So Richard, help me understand this please.

If the camera hardware is the same in the M8260 as the u8220, is it possible to use the binaries instead of the source to get things working in CM6 roms, since they are both Froyo?

(And please don't laugh too loudly if that was a stupid question.)

Guest Richard_Arkless
Revisiting this thread.

So Richard, help me understand this please.

If the camera hardware is the same in the M8260 as the u8220, is it possible to use the binaries instead of the source to get things working in CM6 roms, since they are both Froyo?

(And please don't laugh too loudly if that was a stupid question.)

Good question, if both have the same front facing camera then yes it could be possible as both are froyo, if it doesnt work by just copying the camera libs then there could be something missing or huawei might have modified something to make the camera work whether its in the kernel (which we need the kernel source from huawei to examine, and based on their track record it will take months to get) or in froyo itself im not so sure

Guest twrock
Good question, if both have the same front facing camera then yes it could be possible as both are froyo, if it doesnt work by just copying the camera libs then there could be something missing or huawei might have modified something to make the camera work whether its in the kernel (which we need the kernel source from huawei to examine, and based on their track record it will take months to get) or in froyo itself im not so sure

I'm interested in trying to just copy the camera libs and testing. Are they obvious by name? Do you remember what they are?

I do like CM6, but even though it mostly works, it would be great to solve the cameras and the few other little bugs.

Guest Richard_Arkless

I think these are the only ones that deal with the camera

libcamera.so

libcameraservice.so

libcamera_client.so

I will look over the other libs to see if any others stick out at me

Guest twrock
I think these are the only ones that deal with the camera

libcamera.so

libcameraservice.so

libcamera_client.so

I will look over the other libs to see if any others stick out at me

Thanks. I'll work on it when I get a chance.

Guest rangeoshun

Funny there's no libcamera_client.so in CM6. But I made a search in files, which files contain this name, and a lot turned up.. It might be very integrated.

Guest Richard_Arkless
Funny there's no libcamera_client.so in CM6. But I made a search in files, which files contain this name, and a lot turned up.. It might be very integrated.

I was looking through the cm7 rom for my zte blade so maybe its only for that phone or only introduced in cm7