Optimus Black battery life

Guest fudimflah

Guest fudimflah

Hi guys.

I have my optimus black for a few days and would like to know how is the battery life of yours? I left it charging over night and unpluged it at 9 am and now (15.13) battery graph displays 72%. I am on 2G only and used wi-fi for about 30 minutes and just 15 minutes calls.

regards.. ;)

Hi guys.

I have my optimus black for a few days and would like to know how is the battery life of yours? I left it charging over night and unpluged it at 9 am and now (15.13) battery graph displays 72%. I am on 2G only and used wi-fi for about 30 minutes and just 15 minutes calls.

regards.. ;)

With a few tweaks you can get good life out of it, at least with light use. Like you do, switch to 2G saves alot of standby battery. I have noticed at my work, my phone uses much more battery then at home because the signal is weak so it's always hunting for better 3G.

I gave up on always trying to have best battery and just started using my phone normally and just charge it more often.

This is my battery use after almost 22 hours of no charge (2 days).....battery was at 31%.

g5Kez.gif

3G was always on, i played games like Bubble Blast and NES emulator, used Wifi, Google maps and GPS for some navigation, so it's light to medium use.

Edited by pihx

Guest abgar

I agree with pihx. And I also play Bubble Blast ;)

I also noticed that P970 charges really fast ( comparing to i.e. Spica ). Usually it is enough for me to keep it in car charger at the occassion of everyday driving - so I can forget about night charging. Take in mind, that Your car charger must be power efficient enough. Car USB chargers are not equal. Most of cheap ones can output maximum 500mA current - too weak. It must be 1000mA.

Edited by abgar

I agree with pihx. And I also play Bubble Blast ;)

I also noticed that P970 charges really fast ( comparing to i.e. Spica ). Usually it is enough for me to keep it in car charger at the occassion of everyday driving - so I can forget about night charging. Take in mind, that Your car charger must be power efficient enough. Car USB chargers are not equal. Most of cheap chargers can output maximum 500mA current - that isn't enough. It should be 1000mA.

Yeah the wall charger is pretty fast at 1A. The standard USB port on a computer can't output more then 500mah, but charging a battery slowly is considered good for longer lasting, or so they say.

You could try to find something like this on eBay http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/iwan...mAh-Output.html

However, i don't recommend charging the battery at over 1000mah (1A) as it could make the battery extremely hot and could be dangerous.

Guest abgar
but charging a battery slowly is considered good for longer lasting, or so they say.
This does not apply to Li-On batteries as each one has microcontroller chip inside taking care of propper charge/discharge.

Anyway 1A car charger is just perfect ;)

Edited by abgar

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ericz21

Hey guys, i just got my optimus black for 2 days and i noticed that the battery life is not as good is in said in review. Even in standby without enabling data and wifi, the percentage keep continuously dropping. I have a question, I know that 3G drain the most batt for sure, but how about wifi and 2G? Which 1 drain more?

Guest rashad1
Hey guys, i just got my optimus black for 2 days and i noticed that the battery life is not as good is in said in review. Even in standby without enabling data and wifi, the percentage keep continuously dropping. I have a question, I know that 3G drain the most batt for sure, but how about wifi and 2G? Which 1 drain more?

I got mine yesterday, after sending it to Orange to get repaired. After 6 hours of being unplugged, it's almost dead. I've only texted, and did some surfing. I've either been on wifi, or 2g since I can't get 3g service with this in the US. The 3g radio was turned off too, no apps are fetching data

Edited by rashad1

ever since i got my phone i've been monitoring and trying to see what is using battery the most for me it is definately the 3G radio. At work the signal is not great and it drains the battery alot when the phone is idle. I use Wifi at home and it doesnt seem to drain battery any faster for me as long as i don't leave it on for hours.

I get consistently 20+ hours on a charge. Just now, i plugged my phone for charge and it was at 28% after 26 hours since last charge.

6 hours until dead is very much wrong and should not be.

Guest Ericz21
I get consistently 20+ hours on a charge.

So what are you trying to say is that charge the phone for this long will have longer battery life?

So what are you trying to say is that charge the phone for this long will have longer battery life?

No, i'm saying that my phone usually lasts over 20 hours before needing to charge.

Guest mertzi

hello all!

i've had my black for a week now and i'm also really disappointed with the battery life. today i unplugged it from the AC at 10 am and now it's 21.32 and the battery is 29% and that's thanks to that i haven't used it much today. i checked the battery consumtion now and 97% has gone to the standard alarm. i have an alarm that go off every hour from 11 to 21 (using it as a reminder) but that's weird right? the standard alarm shouldn't eat all battery? even if i'd only have one alarm each morning the app would still be running 24/7 so it wouldn't make any difference.

those of you who manage to make it last for over 20 hours, how do you use your phones?

for me it's as follows; always 3G enabled as i need that for whatsapp and gmail, screen on lowest brightness and no widgets except power control. apps using background services are whatsapp, KIK messenger and skype. i have sync enabled for gmail and calendar and then there's the alarm that i mentioned. nothing more. the battery in my old HTC tattoo performed similar to this and i used it the same, it's a smaller screen but the NOVA screen is supposed to be efficient so that shouldn't matter.

Guest mertzi

i noticed another weird thing. the battery consumtion status says "4h 25m 58s since unplugged" and that's definately not correct. it's been almost 10hours.

Guest spyb0y
i noticed another weird thing. the battery consumtion status says "4h 25m 58s since unplugged" and that's definately not correct. it's been almost 10hours.

be carefull because anytime you are connecting the phone to computer it`s charging so. you can try disable auto sync for gmail and calendar (you can sync it manual every time you need) and disable animations from Settings-> Display -> Animations (they eat a lot of battery too). give this a try and I hope you`ll get the 20 hours usage from I charge.

Guest rashad1

make sure you refreshed the stats by pressing Menu>Refresh

Guest mertzi
Widget eat much batt?

it depends but if it needs to connect to the internet a lot it eats more battery. i don't know why people use widgets that much. why just not have a shortcut to the app itself and start it when needed?

Guest pihx
those of you who manage to make it last for over 20 hours, how do you use your phones?

I usually get over 20 hours with mixed use. I can go just under 30 hours if i'm careful.

First things first, i downloaded Gingerbreak and rooted the phone. Then i got Titanium Backup and backed up some stuff then started uninstalling LG apps that i don't need. like Finance and SNS, which has the Facebook, Twitter and Gmail apps.

Then i disable GPS and location tracking. Disable Wifi and just turn it on when i want to use it. I turn off background sync and mobile data. I dont have anything using internet in the background. I update everything manually. I only use 1 widget and that is Memo, the built in notepad because i think it's useful for me.

I usually have the screen set to 50% brightness but sometimes higher outside in the sun or when i want to show off :) Most people think the screen is awesome, bright and vivid. Even Iphone 4 guy at my work loved it. When i'm doing something like working and know i won't use the internet on my phone i switch it to 2G only. It save alot of battery.

LG Black is never going to last many days, because it has a bright screen, 1ghz CPU and high resolution. If you want better lasting battery, go with Optimus One with same battery size but only 600mhz CPU, less bright screen and crap resolution.

Right now i am trying out an app called CPU Tuner and it is supposed to save battery by adjusting CPU speed and other things. It needs root.

Guest Ericz21

Alright,now i see the point. You rooted your phone and update to Gingerbread. Anyway, Gingerbread has a better battery life according to the official Android website. Thanks for the advice anyway.

Guest mertzi
Alright,now i see the point. You rooted your phone and update to Gingerbread. Anyway, Gingerbread has a better battery life according to the official Android website. Thanks for the advice anyway.

no he didn't install gingerbread, there's no rom yet. only rooted it using gingerBREAK. i might do that to to unstall the LG apps.

Guest mertzi
I usually get over 20 hours with mixed use. I can go just under 30 hours if i'm careful.

First things first, i downloaded Gingerbreak and rooted the phone. Then i got Titanium Backup and backed up some stuff then started uninstalling LG apps that i don't need. like Finance and SNS, which has the Facebook, Twitter and Gmail apps.

Then i disable GPS and location tracking. Disable Wifi and just turn it on when i want to use it. I turn off background sync and mobile data. I dont have anything using internet in the background. I update everything manually. I only use 1 widget and that is Memo, the built in notepad because i think it's useful for me.

I usually have the screen set to 50% brightness but sometimes higher outside in the sun or when i want to show off :) Most people think the screen is awesome, bright and vivid. Even Iphone 4 guy at my work loved it. When i'm doing something like working and know i won't use the internet on my phone i switch it to 2G only. It save alot of battery.

LG Black is never going to last many days, because it has a bright screen, 1ghz CPU and high resolution. If you want better lasting battery, go with Optimus One with same battery size but only 600mhz CPU, less bright screen and crap resolution.

Right now i am trying out an app called CPU Tuner and it is supposed to save battery by adjusting CPU speed and other things. It needs root.

today i had 37% left after 14 hours but then i had to plug it in to my computer. i think it might have been the alarm clock as it's been disabled today. i'll have to find another app for my regular daily reminders as i want to have a different notification sound for more uncommon reminders that i have in the google calendar.

Guest pihx

No no, i have not installed Gingerbread.......GingerBREAK is an application in the Market that is used to easily Root the phone.

I do however look forward to Gingerbread update in september. It's not that far off.

Guest mertzi
No no, i have not installed Gingerbread.......GingerBREAK is an application in the Market that is used to easily Root the phone.

I do however look forward to Gingerbread update in september. It's not that far off.

i can't find gingerbreak in the market, could it be a country restriction? i'm in sweden

is it the same as this one?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1044765

Guest mertzi
Sorry i forgot, i did not download from market. I got it from the thread you linked at Xda. I downloaded v1.20 and copied it to sdcard through USB cable.

worked great!