Orange Barcelona

Guest Dr00g

Guest Jekle

I assume this will come locked? Are there any reviews out yet?

Give it a couple of Weeks for a review, Yes It is Operator Locked, I'm sure Seb404 will find a workround the sim check with Phone.apk but The Vodafone Smart U8160 isn't as easy like the ZTE Blade to do the workaround but it CM7 gets a port for it. It will automatically has the Sim Lock Check on it

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sebastian404

Has anyone dumped the rom yet?

I've kind of got O2's Alcatel OT990 lined up as the next 'disposable' device im going to buy, but if someone has a rom dump and wants to help I'll give a go at adding it into my usual recovery image collection

UPDATE:

I had nothing better to do this afternoon and now I'm the 'proud' owner of a Barcelona.. expect to see the usual stuff from me soon

Edited by Sebastian404

Guest McSpoon

I don't expect many devs will buy the Barcelona (or the Alcatel for that matter) :) so you might be the only one for those phones. But here are some links for anybody hacking the Barcelona.

The wiki has U8350 firmware

http://wiki.modaco.c..._Firmware_U8350

There is a Perl script to unpack those 'updata.app' files. It will extract the boot.img, system.img, recovery.img, etc.

Usage: perl split_updata.pl updata.app

The script can be downloaded from here: http://android.modac...attach_id=73224

I think the Barcelona uses the same kernel source code as the Vodafone Smart. There are many references to the U8350 in that code. This thread in the Vodafone Smart forum has a link to download the source code.

Guest Sebastian404

I don't expect many devs will buy the Barcelona (or the Alcatel for that matter) :) so you might be the only one for those phones. But here are some links for anybody hacking the Barcelona.

The wiki has U8350 firmware

http://wiki.modaco.c..._Firmware_U8350

There is a Perl script to unpack those 'updata.app' files. It will extract the boot.img, system.img, recovery.img, etc.

Usage: perl split_updata.pl updata.app

The script can be downloaded from here: http://android.modac...attach_id=73224

I think the Barcelona uses the same kernel source code as the Vodafone Smart. There are many references to the U8350 in that code. This thread in the Vodafone Smart forum has a link to download the source code.

good thinking, I managed to build a custom kernel using the same .config from the Smart, only with 1 line changed :)

I'll put out my build of clockwork mod later on, Im just doing some testing on my de-branded rom.......

I think your right about these cheap devices tho.. its a shame because they are all really decent for what you pay... but the expensive flashy devices seem to get all the attention....

Edited by Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404

Just as an update, I posted my build of clockwork mod on another thread here..

I've got a very nice unbranded rom running, a lot better than the horrible crap Orange have added.. and I'm fairly close (I think) to getting the SIM unlock working... so i'm going to hold off on putting that out till I've managed to get that working....

It also means I'll of found a way to s/w unlock the Vodafone smart... lets hope so..

I don't think its THAT bad a device.. if it had been £60 I'd of been more impressed, it is a little over priced.. but if you want an android device in a blackberry form factor.. its not bad.

Edited by Sebastian404

Guest pej02

Just to answer my own question further up this thread for those people who have searched on Huawei U8350 Boulder Orange Barcelona unlock: it can successfully be unlocked remotely via the unlock-tmobilepulse.com website here for US$20 using PayPal which works out at UKP12.50 at the present exchange rate on my card.

I entered my IMEI on the website, paid using PayPal, got the 16 digit unlock code back in an email inside of 24 hours, entered the code with a non-Orange SIM in the phone when it asked for an unlock key after booting and it all worked first-time fine with no issues.

Now I have it unlocked I'm going to try debranding it. smile.gif

• 4 months later...
Guest BlueTurtle

My 15yo daughter wants a phone with a qwerty keyboard, and cheap enough to drop every day. Would anyone recommend this or something else? I don't see any sign of bluetooth in the spec - surely that's on oversight and it *has* bluetooth?

Cheers

Guest andyfletcher

Hi,

It does have bluetooth.

For the money its ok... but is a bit sluggish.

andy

My 15yo daughter wants a phone with a qwerty keyboard, and cheap enough to drop every day. Would anyone recommend this or something else? I don't see any sign of bluetooth in the spec - surely that's on oversight and it *has* bluetooth?

Cheers

Guest BlueTurtle

Hi,

It does have bluetooth.

For the money its ok... but is a bit sluggish.

andy

Thanks for that. I've found it for £80 and will pick it up tomorrow - for that price it should be good value. All she really wants is text and phone, oddly enough she's got past Farcebook and suchlike on her phone, so I'll just unlock it and add some useful apps and she'll be fine with it.

Cheers and a merry Christmas

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have an Orange San francisco but I wanted for a long time a device with full hard keyboard. I came across this device that can be found in france for 60 euros.

I would like to know what you think about it. Is it a huge step down from a blade ?

I having a hard time deciding because it's running froyo and now ICS is out so...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ew1981

Has anyone dumped the rom yet?

I've kind of got O2's Alcatel OT990 lined up as the next 'disposable' device im going to buy, but if someone has a rom dump and wants to help I'll give a go at adding it into my usual recovery image collection

UPDATE:

I had nothing better to do this afternoon and now I'm the 'proud' owner of a Barcelona.. expect to see the usual stuff from me soon

hi mate, did you manage to unlock the Barcelona? do you have any advise for me on how to do it?, also did you ever manage to change the stock rom?

kind regards

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest shawn0

Just got one of these from Argos eBay for £53 delivered.Great feeling of quality.I really like it.Given my SF to my wife. Flashed with Kenya rom and awaiting unlock code from American eBay vendor for £5.17,been almost a day now :-(

I bought a Nokia E63 the week Nokia announced FREE mapping. BUT my phone never got it. Felt really cheated.Went to Android soon after. This phone is like my old Nokia but with Android,its the phone I once dreamt of. At this price you can't go wrong. Got Navfree installed and can't wait to test it out. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog has never been so fast :-)

Come on unlock code !!!!!!

• 3 months later...
Guest TechMayhem

I got this for £49 from Argos. It is also on the Argos Outlet (EBAY).

Going to use DeBranding Package but keep the same ROM.

I do want to unlock but surprisingly no way to unlock for free?

Now that Orange + T-Mobile use the same infrastructure maybe I could just use the T-Mobile SIM in their without unlocking.