Bricked ZTE Blade?

Guest mmxgn

Guest mmxgn

Hello.

I tried to install a custom mod via the windows installation mode to my ZTE-Blade. The process finished with my phone just keeping rebooting over and over again.

I can bring it to a mode that I can access fastboot, so I tried installing clockworkmod.

One problem is I cannot access it. Powering it up while pressing vol down, or either vol down+menu will not do anything.

I have tried various versions of clockworkmod, including 2.5.1.8, 3.0.0.5 and 4.0.0.2.

My ZTE blade is a (Greece) Wind gen2.

I have wiped boot, system, userdata, cache and recovery in the process of trying stuff that I found here and there in order to bring it back to life at no avail.

Currenly, I have the stock wind .zip file. Is there a way to generate again (or find anything ready to use) boot.img and system.img that I can use in order to install the rest?

Thanks for the answers.

Edit: If that helps, I can use a Windows or Linux system.

Edited by mmxgn

Guest hedgepigdaniel
Hello.

I tried to install a custom mod via the windows installation mode to my ZTE-Blade. The process finished with my phone just keeping rebooting over and over again.

I can bring it to a mode that I can access fastboot, so I tried installing clockworkmod.

One problem is I cannot access it. Powering it up while pressing vol down, or either vol down+menu will not do anything.

I have tried various versions of clockworkmod, including 2.5.1.8, 3.0.0.5 and 4.0.0.2.

My ZTE blade is a (Greece) Wind gen2.

I have wiped boot, system, userdata, cache and recovery in the process of trying stuff that I found here and there in order to bring it back to life at no avail.

Currenly, I have the stock wind .zip file. Is there a way to generate again (or find anything ready to use) boot.img and system.img that I can use in order to install the rest?

Thanks for the answers.

Edit: If that helps, I can use a Windows or Linux system.

what exactly did you do? If you followed a guide, please link to it. How far does it get before it reboots? does it load the ROM?

Guest Mushroom_Lord

You can try applying the gen1 to gen2 TPT. I know you are gen2 already but all it does is overwrites things with the gen2 files etc. So really its genx to gen2.

Look at the stickied thread in the Roms and Rom customization sub-forum.

Guest mmxgn
You can try applying the gen1 to gen2 TPT. I know you are gen2 already but all it does is overwrites things with the gen2 files etc. So really its genx to gen2.

Look at the stickied thread in the Roms and Rom customization sub-forum.

Thanks for the answer

But, I already did this.

Guest mmxgn
what exactly did you do? If you followed a guide, please link to it. How far does it get before it reboots? does it load the ROM?

No it doesn't.

I'd already erased partitions: boot, system, userdata and cache.

It just displays (a big, the stock was small) green android and then reboots.

I'd followed many guides in order to bring it back to life, most found here.

I started from Cyanogenmod's wiki tho.

Edited by mmxgn

Guest Mushroom_Lord
But, I already did this.

So wait since if got "bricked" or before?

If it was after you "bricked" it what happened, di it display green text, or just hang at the green android logo, or what?

Guest hedgepigdaniel
No it doesn't.

I'd already erased partitions: boot, system, userdata and cache.

It just displays (a big, the stock was small) green android and then reboots.

I'd followed many guides in order to bring it back to life, most found here.

I started from Cyanogenmod's wiki tho.

What country/model is your blade, and please LINK to the guide you followed when you originally bricked your blade.

If TPT does not work and you cannot get past the green android, try the instructions here. Only do that if your blade is a European GSM model or if its a Chinese model (in which case you should flash the China Unicom firmware in that thread).

Guest mmxgn
What country/model is your blade, and please LINK to the guide you followed when you originally bricked your blade.

If TPT does not work and you cannot get past the green android, try the instructions here. Only do that if your blade is a European GSM model or if its a Chinese model (in which case you should flash the China Unicom firmware in that thread).

Don't really remember which guide I followed.

I got a european gen2 blade.

I tried what you linked, and not it seems it's totally bricked. It won't even get into fastboot now.

Guest mmxgn
Don't really remember which guide I followed.

I got a european gen2 blade.

I tried what you linked, and not it seems it's totally bricked. It won't even get into fastboot now.

I tried it again with the chinese rom and it allowed me to boot into clockwork!

Now I don't know chinese...

What should I do?

Ill try deciphering with an english screenshot...

Guest hedgepigdaniel

when trying to get people to help you fix a machine, posting what it DOES do is much more useful than posting what it does not do. I don't know what you mean by totally bricked. If it doesn't get into fastboot, then I don't know if it explodes when you turn it on or if it loads the ROM I also don't know if you are right to expect it to boot into fastboot given whatever you are dong to it. Which country in Europe? Europe is a big place!

Guest mmxgn
when trying to get people to help you fix a machine, posting what it DOES do is much more useful than posting what it does not do. I don't know what you mean by totally bricked. If it doesn't get into fastboot, then I don't know if it explodes when you turn it on or if it loads the ROM I also don't know if you are right to expect it to boot into fastboot given whatever you are dong to it. Which country in Europe? Europe is a big place!

I'm sorry about that :) I write at the beginning that i have a greece model.

Anyway, I managed to restore the stock rom (by flashing the chinese rom, somehow flashing clockwork recovery, and installing the stock rom). The only problem is that I lost my IMEI, trying to recover it using the info at http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-also-the-imei/

but I don't really know where to chage the IMEI.

I changed it once on 0x1105 on channel1.nvm and once on 0x1215 but IMEI stayed 0 on my phone.

Is there a way to restore it?

Edited by mmxgn

Guest hedgepigdaniel
I'm sorry about that :) I write at the beginning that i have a greece model.

Anyway, I managed to restore the stock rom (by flashing the chinese rom, somehow flashing clockwork recovery, and installing the stock rom). The only problem is that I lost my IMEI, trying to recover it using the info at http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-also-the-imei/

but I don't really know where to chage the IMEI.

I changed it once on 0x1105 on channel1.nvm and once on 0x1215 but IMEI stayed 0 on my phone.

Is there a way to restore it?

1. If you can find channel1.nvm in the folder that your originally used to flash from windows, then restore that file. It has your correct IMEI and any other information on your phone.
  2. I don't know why changing the IMEI in channel1.nvm would not work. Make sure you are restoring it properly (phone in FTM mode, running ZTE tool in admin mode and restoring NV)
  3. Check if your phone has network reception - Chinese firmware is not known to work well on European phones.

Please try to remember this because it might help to avoid others having the same problem

When you originally bricked it, did you use this guide? if so, which firmware package did you flash?

Guest mmxgn
  1. If you can find channel1.nvm in the folder that your originally used to flash from windows, then restore that file. It has your correct IMEI and any other information on your phone.

You mean the windows fasher I used? It did keep a backup without me asking it to? Nice, I'll see if it works :)

I don't know why changing the IMEI in channel1.nvm would not work. Make sure you are restoring it properly (phone in FTM mode, running ZTE tool in admin mode and restoring NV)
Doing that :/ I don't know. Still, will try the first bullet.

Check if your phone has network reception - Chinese firmware is not known to work well on European phones.
Please try to remember this because it might help to avoid others having the same problem

When you originally bricked it, did you use this guide? if so, which firmware package did you flash?

Yes, this guide! And the custom Gen2 v5 (recommended) is what appears to have bricked my phone.

About the chinese hardware. I suppose it should get into the network after entering the correct IMEI. With IMEI of 0, it stays in airplane mode (all networks off).

Edit: Restoring from the channel1.nvm hedgepigdaniel told me worked! I have now the correct IMEI. I'll try entering the sim now to see if I can get into the network. Thanks! B)

Edit2: I can't seem to be able to get into the GSM network. The phone stays in airplane mode. What should I do there?

Edited by mmxgn

Guest hedgepigdaniel
You mean the windows fasher I used? It did keep a backup without me asking it to? Nice, I'll see if it works :)

Doing that :/ I don't know. Still, will try the first bullet.

Yes, this guide! And the custom Gen2 v5 (recommended) is what appears to have bricked my phone.

About the chinese hardware. I suppose it should get into the network after entering the correct IMEI. With IMEI of 0, it stays in airplane mode (all networks off).

Edit: Restoring from the channel1.nvm hedgepigdaniel told me worked! I have now the correct IMEI. I'll try entering the sim now to see if I can get into the network. Thanks! B)

Edit2: I can't seem to be able to get into the GSM network. The phone stays in airplane mode. What should I do there?

First, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess what happened to you the first time. You tried to flash using my guide, but the flasher failed at 98%. Everytime you turned your phone on, the words FTM appeared on the screen. If this is the case, then I suggest option 2, if you feel daring you can even try the custom v5 again. If you run into the same problem again, it can be fixed by restoring channel1.nvm as you have just done.

Maybe that is all wrong though. You have two options. You can either try something to get radio to work on the Chinese firmware, or you can try to flash European firmware. (flashing European firmware means you will have to follow that guide again and hope that the same problem doesn't happen, but it also means your phone will be restored properly to the way it began)

Option 1: try to fix up the Chinese firmware:

Get the firmware files (partition.mbn, amss.mbn, etc) of the Chinese firmware. Replace amss.mbn with the one from a European Gen2. You can use the one from the custom Gen2 v5 package. Use this tool to create an image.bin file from those files. put this file on to the root of your SD card and power your phone on pressing menu and vol+.

Option 2: flash uropean firmware

Follow the guide again and choose the stock Gen2 package

Edited by hedgepigdaniel

Guest mmxgn
First, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess what happened to you the first time. You tried to flash using my guide, but the flasher failed at 98%. Everytime you turned your phone on, the words FTM appeared on the screen. If this is the case, then I suggest option 2, if you feel daring you can even try the custom v5 again. If you run into the same problem again, it can be fixed by restoring channel1.nvm as you have just done.

It stuck at 98% but then the green android kept appearing and dissappearing.

Maybe that is all wrong though. You have two options. You can either try something to get radio to work on the Chinese firmware, or you can try to flash European firmware. (flashing European firmware means you will have to follow that guide again and hope that the same problem doesn't happen, but it also means your phone will be restored properly to the way it began)

Option 1: try to fix up the Chinese firmware:

Get the firmware files (partition.mbn, amss.mbn, etc) of the Chinese firmware. Replace amss.mbn with the one from a European Gen2. You can use the one from the custom Gen2 v5 package. Use this tool to create an image.bin file from those files. put this file on to the root of your SD card and power your phone on pressing menu and vol+.

Option 2: flash uropean firmware

Follow the guide again and choose the stock Gen2 package

Thanks very much, noted I want to do so in the future. For now, I restored with the stock windows uploader (which also requires FTM mode, that's why I couldn't do it from the beginning). And I will leave it as is.

I couldn't understand tho why the guides in my language for my country's blade would not work on me. Maybe I'm the case that I have a chinese version and everyone else has the european one? Bought it 3 or 4 days ago.

Anyway, thanks for the help, you were very helpful.

Guest hedgepigdaniel
It stuck at 98% but then the green android kept appearing and dissappearing.

Thanks very much, noted I want to do so in the future. For now, I restored with the stock windows uploader (which also requires FTM mode, that's why I couldn't do it from the beginning). And I will leave it as is.

I couldn't understand tho why the guides in my language for my country's blade would not work on me. Maybe I'm the case that I have a chinese version and everyone else has the european one? Bought it 3 or 4 days ago.

Anyway, thanks for the help, you were very helpful.

No worries

I guess that's a possibility, but you probably just had bad luck - sometimes it can go wrong because of a problem with the USB connection etc. anyway I'm glad its working.