Advent - exciting news

Guest Blue Gas

I'm for it being a further push to develop HC on the Vega.

When I was looking to buy a tablet, all the reviewers were saying that the Vega was the best budget model, but that it wasn't worth getting unless you were going to get the Mod available from this site. It seemed the Advent guys actively promoted this site. After I got the Vega, all the posts were saying that the Vega wouldn't be getting HC because of memory limitations, different processor platforms etc. Well Newbe, Corvus et al proved them wrong, in a big way.

Now, elsewhere, HC is becoming the 'standard' ROM for tablets, even though IMO Corvus 5 offers an excellent ROM, using 2.2. I think that the strength of the Vega has always been the excellent processing power in a terrific value package (by slight savings on screen/body). It would be my guess that there is seen to be considerable mileage still in the Vega, if the HC/Vegacomb project can be progressed. The appearance of the 'Chinese clones' indicates that others think this is runner too.

If that's right, it's a big endorsement of the Team Newco/Team Villain effort.

Guest HypoTurtle
hope that its an update for our vega's, and not about hardware or new tablets.

and.. has it something to do with: http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/24/zinio-b...eycomb-tablets/ ?

Well the title of that post is a little misleading it should read 'honeycomb brings tegra hardware acceleration to zinio'.

And hopefully yes if it's a HC update we should be getting hardware acceleration, which is a major hurdle with the VComb build.

Guest mxbob

Maybe advent just wanted to get some experienced vega developers on board ready for when they get the source code for Icecream sandwich? I mean lets face it the work done by Paul and others on froyo on the vega has far surpassed that advents on developers have managed with the stock rom

When Icecream sandwich is released is still going to take someone to make a build for the vega maybe advent are laying the groundwork now to ensure a top quality icecream build running flawlessly on the vega as soon as possible

Least this is what im hoping as im not intending to buy another tablet anytime soon

Guest mintvilla
Just one point to keep in mind with all this talk of back porting and so on. DSG did not choose to leave the Google Apps of the Vega. Google never licensed them for the Vega so there is no way that they can do something like that unless they've reached a licensing agreement which, given the reasons Google did not put HC into AOSP and withheld the GAPPS from the likes of the Vega, I doubt.

+1 for the rumour forum. Ultimately useless but fun, in a geeky sort of way :)

You cant license the apps, its not that google never licensed the apps, it was that their terms and conditions for anything not running Honeycomb has to be a phone, and thus has to have all the phone features like 3g radio, gps etc. Hence why the Galaxy tab 7inch has 3g, and can actually make phone calls.

For honeycomb they changed their terms and conditions since they now had an operating sytem for tablets, meaning the requirements to have the google apps, didnt require the phone features like the 3g radio, gps etc.

It in now way or form has anything to do with licensing agreement.

They have said many times they didnt want honeycomb being put onto phones, when its not ready for phones, they have no problem with honeycomb going on a device like the vega.

At the end of the day, google makes no money on the advent vega, android 2.2 is open source and it has no market, am sure they are quite keen to get honeycomb and therefore the market onto the vega so that they can make 30% on all the apps people with vegas buy.

Guest oldhippy

I am not going to speculate on what 'might' be happening, just going to wait and see as long as it is not too long LOl...

What I will say is congrats to both Newbe5 and to Paul for being called up by Advent themselves, shows someone is watching them and their skills.. Nice one guys!

Guest WWEpsp
I am not going to speculate on what 'might' be happening, just going to wait and see as long as it is not too long LOl...

What I will say is congrats to both Newbe5 and to Paul for being called up by Advent themselves, shows someone is watching them and their skills.. Nice one guys!

+1, you're right, they deserve it!

anyway, newbe5 should reveal something LOL

Guest oldhippy
+1, you're right, they deserve it!

anyway, newbe5 should reveal something LOL

They are likely to be on a confidentiality agreement until whatever it is, is nearly ready. I am hopeful it won't be long before it hits the shelves etc though...

to be fair, Paul made a similar comment a few months back, and nowt exciting came of that..............

I wouldn't hold my breath, but will hope for the best.

Guest simonta
You cant license the apps, its not that google never licensed the apps, it was that their terms and conditions for anything not running Honeycomb has to be a phone, and thus has to have all the phone features like 3g radio, gps etc. Hence why the Galaxy tab 7inch has 3g, and can actually make phone calls.

For honeycomb they changed their terms and conditions since they now had an operating sytem for tablets, meaning the requirements to have the google apps, didnt require the phone features like the 3g radio, gps etc.

It in now way or form has anything to do with licensing agreement.

They have said many times they didnt want honeycomb being put onto phones, when its not ready for phones, they have no problem with honeycomb going on a device like the vega.

At the end of the day, google makes no money on the advent vega, android 2.2 is open source and it has no market, am sure they are quite keen to get honeycomb and therefore the market onto the vega so that they can make 30% on all the apps people with vegas buy.

Sorry to contradict, but the Google Apps, Market, Maps, Gmail etc are all proprietary software and are only available under the terms of a license agreement from Google. You can download some of them, having accepted the license terms which include no distribution, with the exception of the Market and the Google apps framework. Android is open source, the Google Apps are not. Each manufacturer has to license the Market having met the terms imposed.

The license is not public AFAIK so I can't provide a link to a Google site but here is a discussion concerning the Motorola and Samsung licenses.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/05/12/google-...rola-samsung/#1

It would be unlawful for Advent to "back port" any ROM unless they have entered into an agreement with Google, therefore, they will not do it. If they have entered into an agreement, then why do it for "Vega 1" when they can't make money? It would also be unlawful of them to sell an update ergo, there is no money to be had. If I had an agreement, I would be looking for specs to compete with the Transformer, Xoom etc and the next batch of tablets.

Just saying.

[EDIT]

Found this in Google's FAQs

If my device is compatible, does it automatically have access to Android Market and branding?

Android Market is a service operated by Google. Achieving compatibility is a prerequisite for obtaining access to the Android Market software and branding. Device manufacturers should contact Google to obtain access to Android Market.

If I am not a manufacturer, how can I get Android Market?

Android Market is only licensed to handset manufacturers shipping devices. For questions about specific cases, contact [email protected].

How can I get access to the Google apps for Android, such as Maps?

The Google apps for Android, such as YouTube, Google Maps and Navigation, Gmail, and so on are Google properties that are not part of Android, and are licensed separately. Contact [email protected] for inquiries related to those apps

http://source.android.com/faqs.html#compatibility

Edited by simonta

Guest le_lutin

It doesn't necessarily have to be about advent making money. They may be interested in garnering a reputation for good support. An inexpensive way to do this might be to give some devs (Paul, newbe et al) the necessary code, drivers etc. to release a good, stable version of honeycomb for the current vega without having to go through the red tape concerned with getting an official Google sanctioned release.

Edited by le_lutin

Guest moghm
I'm not so sure about that, if advent reveal there is in upcoming honeycomb release for the Vega I'm sure there will be major sellouts of there £200 10inch tablet! , it will be pretty difficult for another manufacturer to sell a honeycomb tablet for that price.

The only reason I purchased the Vega 2 weeks ago was because of vegacomb, so a 10" tegra2 honeycomb tablet will make them allot of money.

U r right about a tablet with honeycomb flying of the shelves at 200 quid, which makes me now think that this would be too good to be true. Time wil tell.

Guest Mark_L

Just as I have said repeatedly again and again...

It makes GOOD business sense for advent to provide a HC update for the Vega.

Vega 2 would either have the same hardware as the Vega or better specs and it would cost more. There's no point in a Vega 2 ATM.

99% sure the Vega will get an official HC release.

Guest simonta

Right, one last observation, then I'll sit back and enjoy the speculation :)

The NVidia Harmony chipset in the Vega is no longer developed or supported. Only the Ventana set is certified for Honeycomb, by some manufacturers.

I would be delighted to see HC on Vega 1 but I can't see how it will happen. Release HC, without the market (see above) and on a no longer supported chipset? Hmmm.

Guest montage

I wouldnt call HC exciting as lets face it anybody remotely interested in it is already running the modded version.. And i've found no flash support hardly restrictive, after all i needed a break from my favourite adult websites.............

And as for the vega 2 being exciting...well... this is about as exciting as being sat on by an elephant. I cant say my vega is at the end of its life after 7 months.

The only thing i'd find exciting is all ipad apps ported to android.. now that would be exciting! oh and a price reduction!

Guest derffie

Ooh ooh a new rom for the vega all shiny and honeycombishy.... A improved os that fully utillises the vegas hardware... it unlocks its ability to shoot lazorz, intergalatic super dimentional travel and can seduce women in a 15ft radius, And, and finaly renders all apple devices that get too close to a wierd sauce....

Seriously though, good going to newbe and paul, glad to hear our beloved tablet is not forgotten by advent.

Guest gazmon2424
Ooh ooh a new rom for the vega all shiny and honeycombishy.... A improved os that fully utillises the vegas hardware... it unlocks its ability to shoot lazorz, intergalatic super dimentional travel and can seduce women in a 15ft radius, And, and finaly renders all apple devices that get too close to a wierd sauce....

Seriously though, good going to newbe and paul, glad to hear our beloved tablet is not forgotten by advent.

Vega as we know is finished guys ...accept it.....a new tab is on the way

Guest premieral
Right, one last observation, then I'll sit back and enjoy the speculation :)

The NVidia Harmony chipset in the Vega is no longer developed or supported. Only the Ventana set is certified for Honeycomb, by some manufacturers.

I would be delighted to see HC on Vega 1 but I can't see how it will happen. Release HC, without the market (see above) and on a no longer supported chipset? Hmmm.

Just to play devils advocate and because there is bugger all on the TV B) the following was nvidias response to the rumour they had withdrawn support for harmony........

"The term "Harmony" is an internal codename for the Tegra 250 Development Kit. It is not a tablet reference design. Each shipping tablet is a custom design with varying hardware components and requires a custom OS image from the OEM who made the tablet.

Finally, while we cannot support or give out third party peripheral drivers or provide the Android 3.0 source before Google does, we do want to explore whether we can assist the open source ROM makers. We will be reaching out to them today.

Andrew Edelsten Tegra Developer Relations NVIDIA "

and for what its worth I love my Vega as is so I don't really care what if anything advent are planning :D

Edited by premieral

Guest Drat2

Personally I don't think new hardware would get newbe5 so excited, so one of us is wrong. If it turns out to be new hardware I will post my appology in this thread :)

Guest gazmon2424
Personally I don't think new hardware would get newbe5 so excited, so one of us is wrong. If it turns out to be new hardware I will post my appology in this thread :)

Well we don't really know if newbe is involved anyway....

It's all shrouded in mystery

Guest derffie

But, but but LAZORZ!!!! you brake my heart with words of such misery....

Guest Sanddancer75

The Vega is over 8 months old now & they need to move on with hardware if they hope to compete. My guess is new hardware fixing the Vega's limitations, a better screen, more RAM & Honeycomb within 3 months. I'm happy enough with my Vega personally though.

Guest gazmon2424
The Vega is over 8 months old now & they need to move on with hardware if they hope to compete. My guess is new hardware fixing the Vega's limitations, a better screen, more RAM & Honeycomb within 3 months. I'm happy enough with my Vega personally though.

Sad that it is ......think ur on the money

Guest derffie

No one cares that ICS is not hardware dependant... IT WILL run on all android devices, and fully open source, so I think anybody who wants to get all miserable and thinks the vega needs a nice memorial service and and a pretty casket, before they ditch it for a more jiggery upstart (sure love more storage and ram, but hey, won't complain) Send this way! We'll set up a adoption agency here at modaco, find theser poor vegas new loving homes, think on this, android is not apple (I roue the day Jobs and his monkeys turned electronic hardware into fashion)

The vega is a budget tablet granted, but android is its OS and as long as android is being developed, no vega will be too far behind.

Final statement on the whole shebang, LIGHTEN UP KIDS! Enjoy your vegas!