Alcatel OT-990

Guest Jekle

Guest Jekle

Alcatel OT-990 is a Android 2.2 phone and a Gingerbread update promised later this year.

Specs

Qualcomm MSM7227-1 600MHz (Same as Blade)

5MP Camera with Auto focus and Flash

3.5 Capacitive Multi-Touch Screen

HSDPA 3.5G

Front Facing Camera for Video Chat

1300MaH Battery

Expected to be hitting the O2-UK Network in August.

Edited by Jekle

Guest k0zmic

Hmm, the Camera and Front facing Camera are certainly an improvement on what the Blade has.

I wonder how much RAM it has though. I'm guessing the GPU is the same as the Blade.

Screen has a lower resolution though.

Personally, that Huawei U880 seems a better option. But if this is around £80 then it might be good for some people who need a decent Camera.

Guest Jekle
Hmm, the Camera and Front facing Camera are certainly an improvement on what the Blade has.

I wonder how much RAM it has though. I'm guessing the GPU is the same as the Blade.

Screen has a lower resolution though.

Personally, that Huawei U880 seems a better option. But if this is around £80 then it might be good for some people who need a decent Camera.

Yeah it is a HVGA screen but I think It could be a popular phone just like the Blade if it does have an unlockable bootloader or a unlocked bootloader .

Guest k0zmic
Yeah it is a HVGA screen but I think It could be a popular phone just like the Blade if it does have an unlockable bootloader or a unlocked bootloader .

It probably will do.

Guest Mushroom_Lord

If its anything like the 980 its not going to be great :L (but it isnt :) )

Trust me, that phone was even worse build quality than the blade :rolleyes: (the keyboard was HORRIBLE) (I've used one) (I didn't like it ;) )

Anyhow at least this is a capative screen, I could never go back to resistive.

The screen res isn't as nice as the blade...

And If it only comes in that red....It may not suit all :D - oh wait...looks like there is a black one too :rolleyes:

I'd still go with a blade as a new buyer though...

Edited by Mushroom_Lord

Guest hecatae

still too high a price for a hvga

Guest slitz

It has a trackpad! Woo! Far too late in the game to get any new phone with a processor like that though, unless it's £20-£30.

Finding it strange that it chooses to have a search button instead of a home button, four would've been a better amount though.

Edited by slitz

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Profete162

Hello, I have this phone in my hands.

Would like to root it and remove all crapwares and bloatwares to give it to my girlfriend, but seem locked ( tried Universal Androor and Z4Root without success)

Do you think someone can help me?

Hello, I have this phone in my hands.

Would like to root it and remove all crapwares and bloatwares to give it to my girlfriend, but seem locked ( tried Universal Androor and Z4Root without success)

Do you think someone can help me?

Ummm, why are you asking this in a zte blade forum?

Guest Profete162

Ummm, why are you asking this in a zte blade forum?

Because when you read the OP, people are talking about OT 990 and not zte blade...

Guest finbaar

True, but this thread is about Blade owners discussing the merits of the 990 so it unlikely you will get a sensible answer here. If you have specific question about this phone you either need a 990 forum or failing that a General Android forum where people in the know hang out.

Back on topic – price will be key for this phone, it will need to be less than £50 to be a success. Still it is good to see another budget Android option. With so many about these days it certainly makes the budget phones running the operators own OS less attractive.

• 3 months later...

Up until three days ago I was a blade owner (well, I still am) but the touchscreen has started playing up (not responding at all or only recognising touch on the right hand side, even when I press the left hand side). I've had it nearly a year (and early on in its life it went through the washing machine and survived that after several weeks r&r in the airing cupboard) so I decided to buy a new phone instead of fixing the blade. After a brief look at the budget androids on offer at o2 I went for a onetouch 990.

The camera i a bit faster than the blades (I always leave auto focus off as what I'm photographing is usually alive) and the quality appears the same. The lower res seems to help the speed of menus as it judders a lot less than my blade did. The headphones are louder than the blades (not hard, I'll admit). The lock button is round the side (which is taking a while to get used to), the battery life seems the same and the auto-brightness only appears to have two settings (dim and full), but does seem a bit faster to respond than the blades'.

I've yet to attempt to root it (to remove the apps I don't want on there - the o2 release doesn't seem as bloated as the orange san fran was) so I'll let you know (if anyone's curious) how that goes when I try it over the next few days. Gingerbread is due for it near the end of the year so it does (I'm afraid) look like quite a contender. Also, it has a more solid, heavy feel to it than the blade does.

Oh, and if anyone wants a potentially dying blade with portugese spring on it, let me know before I ebay it ;) .