Repartition NAND for optimal CM7 setup [2011-08-15]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest kallt_kaffe

Layout: /system 136Mb /data 300Mb /cache 5Mb

Installs CM7 2011-08-15 + google apps 20110613 from http://goo-inside.me/gapps/

NOTE: Just like the leaked 2.2 update (or any official 2.2 update) this will convert the device to Gen2 and there is no way back to Gen1 and Android 2.1

Download: http://www.mediafire...hi7rhddjb2j33iv

Instructions

• Turn the device off and then turn it on with Volume-down pressed.
  • If you have a stock recovery you will see the text FTM on the screen. If not it will get "stuck" on the splash-logo. Both alternatives are OK.
  • Connect the device to the computer with an USB cable
  • Find out (with the Device Manager) on which COM port the DFU interface appears (ZTE Handset Diagnostic Interface (DFU))
  • Start Sales_MultiDL_MSM7227_patched.exe
  • Choose Option->Port Config and configure the COM on Line 1 -- DIAG to be the one that the DFU uses. Click OK when finished.
  • Choose "Backup NV" and click "Start All". Now a file called Channel1.nvm will be created. Make a copy of it for safekeeping! It can be useful if the IMEI becomes corrupt. (If you allready have a copy of it then you can skip this step)
  • Switch to "Download" and click on "SW Directory". Choose the "files" folder.
  • Click "Start All" and pour a cup of coffee.
  • After 3-4 minutes it should have finished flashing. Disconnect the USB cable and remove the battery.
  • Put the battery back and power up the device.
  • Enjoy your coffee while it boots.

NOTE! This install will also install Clockwork recovery 4.0.1.4.

EVERYTHING IS DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK (as usual)!

Guest kallt_kaffe

Oh, and before someone asks, the benefit of this is that the avialable space on the data partition goes from 162Mb to 300Mb which means more room for apps and app-data.

And to restore original partition layout you can reflash the unoffical 2.2 release or the official TeliaSonera 2.2: ZTE_Light_Upgrade_Tools_V1.1_patched.zip (Just use the same method as above but with these files instead)

Guest samarium

If I've already done the gen2 -> cm7 process, can I use this process to effect the repartition?

Or do I need to flash back to 2.2 and do the above? Or something else?

Thanks.

Guest kallt_kaffe
If I've already done the gen2 -> cm7 process, can I use this process to effect the repartition?

Or do I need to flash back to 2.2 and do the above? Or something else?

Thanks.

No need to flash back to 2.2. The process will overwrite _EVERYTHING_ so whatever you have now does not matter. It's just like the 2.2 upgrade but with a different partition setup and installs CM7 instead of 2.2.

Guest samarium
No need to flash back to 2.2. The process will overwrite _EVERYTHING_ so whatever you have now does not matter. It's just like the 2.2 upgrade but with a different partition setup and installs CM7 instead of 2.2.

OK, thanks.

The other question I should have asked is what does the new partition map look like? I have a script that strips some apps and adds others to the system partition, so would prefer to know the new sizes before I go flashing things.

Guest kallt_kaffe

/dev/block/mtdblock5	135.9M	131.4M	  4.5M  97% /system
/dev/block/mtdblock6 300.0M 99.1M 200.9M 33% /data
/dev/block/mtdblock4 5.0M 1.2M 3.8M 24% /cache[/code]

This is with adfree android hosts file in place so a clean install have some more free space on /system.

Guest garfin

Hi all,

Followed the above after realising my CM7'ed Tab wasn't 'optimised' ... all went perfectly well, until i tried to connect to my carrier , only to discover my IMEI is no longer correct/matching the IMEI label inside the battery compartment .. How do i 'fix' ?

Guest Decado
Hi all,

Followed the above after realising my CM7'ed Tab wasn't 'optimised' ... all went perfectly well, until i tried to connect to my carrier , only to discover my IMEI is no longer correct/matching the IMEI label inside the battery compartment .. How do i 'fix' ?

Hi

OK, two part answer here and it just comes from my own experiences.

Firstly, A Possible prevention

I've now done 7 or 8 of these and only on 2 of them was the IMEI number ever changed. I *think* the reason is as follows

Most people just use the patched Sales tool to flash their tab. It's quite true that you can just click on the .exe file and ignore a few error messages that appear for some and it will flash the ROM for you. It also changes the IMEI or at least it does for me. I "think?" it is just the patched salestool .exe that KK has included in the link above.

I found that if instead I started off installing the tool from the unpatched tool in the first link here by Sebastian404 (click here for link) which does a full install process and THEN copy the patched .exe to the install folder and made a link to the patched .exe that the tool FIRST backs up your Channel1.nvm file which contains the IMEI number BEFORE FLAHING the rom and then restores it afterwards.

Secondly, A cure

If it is too late and you have you have already changed your IMEI number then if you've installed the "sales tool" as outlined above and copied the patched exe accross then you can choose "Backup NV" and run the tool. A file called "Channel1.nvm" will be created in the folder where the sales tool installed to in the \program files directory.

Take this file (it will be about 70kb in size) and with any free hex editor edit the IMEI which can be found at offset 0x1205 (it will begin most likely with 3a) to your correct one and then save it.

So for example, if your real IMEI number from the case was

then you will find the characters at 0x1205 starting with 3a and replace as follows

3a 54 76 98 10 32 54 76

Yes, it's back to front which is why the 3 at the front (03) becomes 3a

Once edited, save the file and place the edited file back into the sales tool's install folder and run "Restore NV" and your IMEI number will be restored.

Hope this helps

As KK and all the crew say, perfom this proceedure at your own risk yada yada. Having said that, it works for me.

Hope this helps

Dec (aka vk4ari from whirlpool forums)

Edited by Decado

Guest garfin
Hi

OK, two part answer here and it just comes from my own experiences.

Dec (aka vk4ari from whirlpool forums)

Cheers bud.. yeah i had stumbled across the hexedit uyour channel.nvm , which ive now done .. looks correct now but still having APN issues (changed from prepaid to postpaid optus sim in the process of doing this rom update ..) i can make calls and sms's , which is a start... just cant 'browse'.

Guest Decado
Cheers bud.. yeah i had stumbled across the hexedit uyour channel.nvm , which ive now done .. looks correct now but still having APN issues (changed from prepaid to postpaid optus sim in the process of doing this rom update ..) i can make calls and sms's , which is a start... just cant 'browse'.

I feel your frustration.

It's obviously an APN issue but I don't know any optus settings other than those shown in the whirlpool wiki., I suppose I shouldn't be surprised there is a different set for post paid. When you find out it would be great if you would post it because you're not going to be the only one going to post paid.

Thanks in advance

Dec

Guest a19074

Hi KK and friends!

I have just tried this rom, I followed the instructions in the first post exactly (including the coffee!!)but when it comes to the last part of removing the battery/cables then restarting, I get the splash screen with the new memory layout, then onto the Android logo but then I get the FTM screen pop up. The flashing said it worked (passed).

Anything else that I should have done?

I have an Optus Mytab, and had taken it back to the stock optus/zte 2.2.

Thanks in advance.

Guest sixreason

Confuse here....never flash a custom android rom before. My V9 came with stock 2.2 rom so what i do next to instal CM7?

Really need to overclock it....sorry for the newb question

Guest forforum

KK, an off topic question

Can the technique you use to re-partition the V9 NAND be changed to work with a Huawei S7? I have both tablets and would like the bigger data partition on the S7 too.

Thanks.

Edited by forforum

Guest Gaz14
Hi KK and friends!

I have just tried this rom, I followed the instructions in the first post exactly (including the coffee!!)but when it comes to the last part of removing the battery/cables then restarting, I get the splash screen with the new memory layout, then onto the Android logo but then I get the FTM screen pop up. The flashing said it worked (passed).

Anything else that I should have done?

I have an Optus Mytab, and had taken it back to the stock optus/zte 2.2.

Thanks in advance.

Try turning it on with volume up for the first boot worked when it wouldn't boot for me

Guest QuirkyKiwi
I will try flashing again....and see if it takes better the 2nd time around.

Thanks for the help on this one. I have been unable to post replies to the forum for some obscure reason but have had to create a new user account so am back on now.

Booting the tablet with vol+ held down was indeed the tonic it needed. Now up and running perfectly with KK's updated partition layout from this thread then updating to the Kang RC1 mod from 03/07/11 posted by KK (http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-light-v9-lightv9-modaco-com/340064/rom-gingerbread-cm7-working-on-gen2-zte-light-v9-2011-07-03/ from the first post), it is also now happily running at a core frequency of 748 but I need to test further before setting that in concrete. I, too, was also having random lockups at higher speeds with theorectically non CPU intensive tasks (like browsing) and my goal is stability. I think I will end up taking in down a peg or two from the 748 then add the ADB overclock and see how it runs.

A huge thanks to KK for his work on getting these mods together and keeping involved in helping others that get stuck along the way. My learning curve on Android devices has been masive, helped by a meager financial outlay of just $99AUD (the V9 tablets over here are at fire sale prices at present as they are now disontinued by Optus apparently) - I have two more I have managed to order that need to be collected from the store...I will chose the best one then flick the rest so others can share the fun!!

Thanks again for everyones interest and efforts!!

QK

Guest avant-garde

Hello guys, i'm kinda new to this an i am the owner of a zte v9. As we all know it's doesn't have any official updates. I've been doing some research and found that there's even an overclocked gingerbread version!

I would like you guys to give me the links of how to make my Zte v9 tablet from version 2.1 to 2.3 overclocked!

I don't want to waste your time in writting a new "how to" guide, just give me the links of the latests version to make my zte vrom version 2.1 to the latest overclocked! THANKS A LOT!!!!

Guest Gaz14
Hello guys, i'm kinda new to this an i am the owner of a zte v9. As we all know it's doesn't have any official updates. I've been doing some research and found that there's even an overclocked gingerbread version!

I would like you guys to give me the links of how to make my Zte v9 tablet from version 2.1 to 2.3 overclocked!

I don't want to waste your time in writting a new "how to" guide, just give me the links of the latests version to make my zte vrom version 2.1 to the latest overclocked! THANKS A LOT!!!!

You're here follow the instructions in thee first post then update to the latest update

Guest yuden

Once more thank you kalt for your great work.

This rom with the 300 MB data partition is a dream come true. Paired with the overclocking abilities V9 has got a major upgrade.

There is one thing that i wasn't able to solve so far and maybe you can help me. My corporate exchange mail cannot connect. i have tried several Email apk's but with no success.

is there some Email.apk that solves the problem with Exchange servers?

Thank you.

Guest Gaz14

Is there a way to do this on the device, or with adb?.

I don't have a windows box to flash from only Linux and OSX.

Befriend a windows user, or i set up a XP partition just for android and these flashing tools

Sent from CM7 V9 using Tapatalk