[Totally lost] How to flash and everything... =/

Guest Deya_87

Guest Deya_87

Hi,

Today I just bought a ZTE Blade on contract with a french network (Universal Mobile) and I have no idea of what to do to flash my phone. I've read posts but happens that there are tons of ROMs and that you must be careful with your version and they all seem (almost) to be Orange-oriented. So I don't know how it's going to work on my phone.

Moreover I wanted to unlock those 512MB. Currently I have 201MB or something like that.

I downloaded the Ask Mr Pigfish app and it told me I had GEN1 on Android 2.1

Then I downloaded something that allowed me to delete everything related to my network provider but turned out I didn't know what was useful and what wasn't.

So my questions are:

- what is most suitable ROM for me? How do I install it?

- Do I need to do a backup? If yes, how?

- How do I unlock those 512MB?

- If I install a new ROM will that one be in English? I don't mind English at all but I just wanted to know if it's still going to work.

Actually I need a complete tutorial for dummies :rolleyes:

Sorry if those question sound too obvious for you (or too stupid) but I don't want to mess up with my phone and end up with... ermmm... you know :)

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Guest Jetba

I am a newbie too, but:

1. try swedish spring first. I'ts android 2.2. you install it trought clockwork. guide: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...zte-blade-gen1/

2. Make a backup in clockwork. Backup and restore

3. here is a guide: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-to-512mb-gen1/

4. It's english, but you can change it.

You can also convert it to gen 2 to use cyanogen mod, but ss is the most stable imo.

Guest JHdD
I am a newbie too, but:

1. try swedish spring first. I'ts android 2.2. you install it trought clockwork. guide: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...zte-blade-gen1/

2. Make a backup in clockwork. Backup and restore

3. here is a guide: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-to-512mb-gen1/

4. It's english, but you can change it.

You can also convert it to gen 2 to use cyanogen mod, but ss is the most stable imo.

It's much easier to just use the TPT from this rom:

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...inger-stir-fry/

Guest rockstarszzzz
wow! thanks a lot for the quick replies!^^

Is it fine to upgrade to GEN2? or not recommended?

Very recommended!

There are no minus points apart from you voiding your warranty. But you can always put things back to how it was if you upgrade using a TPT method. It's safe and you can't go wrong if you follow the steps.

Guest JHdD
wow! thanks a lot for the quick replies!^^

Is it fine to upgrade to GEN2? or not recommended?

All the newer roms are being developed for GEN2. So it's recommended. The TPT I linked makes your device GEN2 and also installs a very stable gingerbread rom.

EDIT: I should refresh more often. :)

Edited by JHdD

Guest Deya_87
Yes, that's the right one. And by the way, there is no need for unlocking anything on your phone. With 201 meg free RAM you already have 512 meg RAM in total.

Ohh how's that? :)

Guest ShahinTehShiz
ahhh cool then :)

by the way, what does it mean? "Check the integrity of the files using AFV"

Just a fancy way of saying "Check the files" xD

Guest Deya_87

ok i just tried. I followed the steps and when I turn on the phone (pressing the volume key and Menu) and I have a blank screen with 3 letters: FTM

Nothing happens :)

Guest Pelemane
ok i just tried. I followed the steps and when I turn on the phone (pressing the volume key and Menu) and I have a blank screen with 3 letters: FTM

Nothing happens :)

You have to press vol+, not vol-.

Guest Deya_87

Ok I started following another tutorial to install Clockwork:

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...zte-blade-gen1/

And I get stuck at this step:

2. How to Install a ROM using Clockwork via Recovery Manager

Actions

Open Astro File Manager from the App Drawer - browse to the Rom Zip file you choose (r12-update-modacocustomrom-blade-kitchen-unsigned.zip)

Hold your finger on the file and choose Details - check the the MD5 Sum is the same as the one shown on the thread you go the ROM from - if not re-download the file. (cb1718841318a63775b020e6c544edfa) (the Ginger Stir Fry I downloaded doesn't have the same MD5 Sum as the one in the post :/)

Launch ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager from the App Drawer

Hit the Firmware tab

Hit the MENU button on your device and choose Update Database

If you want to make a complete backup of your entire phone : use the option Backup Current Firmware - this will put a FULL backup of your device onto the SDCard (in a directory called clockwork)

Choose Install Firmware - Not the firmware update

If you have more than one ZIP file on the sdcard you will see a list, pick the ROM file you downloaded (Large zip file) - Choose OK (r12-update-modacocustomrom-blade-kitchen-unsigned.zip)

A message pops up telling me Sorry currently only ClockworkMod Recovery is supported for installing a new Firmware.

I'm going crazy :)

Guest rockstarszzzz
Ok I started following another tutorial to install Clockwork:

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...zte-blade-gen1/

And I get stuck at this step:

2. How to Install a ROM using Clockwork via Recovery Manager

Actions

Open Astro File Manager from the App Drawer - browse to the Rom Zip file you choose (r12-update-modacocustomrom-blade-kitchen-unsigned.zip)

Hold your finger on the file and choose Details - check the the MD5 Sum is the same as the one shown on the thread you go the ROM from - if not re-download the file. (cb1718841318a63775b020e6c544edfa) (the Ginger Stir Fry I downloaded doesn't have the same MD5 Sum as the one in the post :/)

Launch ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager from the App Drawer

Hit the Firmware tab

Hit the MENU button on your device and choose Update Database

If you want to make a complete backup of your entire phone : use the option Backup Current Firmware - this will put a FULL backup of your device onto the SDCard (in a directory called clockwork)

Choose Install Firmware - Not the firmware update

If you have more than one ZIP file on the sdcard you will see a list, pick the ROM file you downloaded (Large zip file) - Choose OK (r12-update-modacocustomrom-blade-kitchen-unsigned.zip)

A message pops up telling me Sorry currently only ClockworkMod Recovery is supported for installing a new Firmware.

I'm going crazy :)

Sorry talk me through it again - what did you do after FTM message with TPT?

Did you just stop using TPT?

When you download the TPT for stir fry - just check the md5 sum. If it's not same as the one posted under ginger stir fry post, then delete it and download again. DON'T use the TPT till you get the md5 sum EXACTLY like the one in ginger stir fry post.

After that it's VERY easy! If you want we will do step by step. First just get correct md5 and TPT on your phone.

Guest Deya_87
Sorry talk me through it again - what did you do after FTM message with TPT?

Did you just stop using TPT?

When you download the TPT for stir fry - just check the md5 sum. If it's not same as the one posted under ginger stir fry post, then delete it and download again. DON'T use the TPT till you get the md5 sum EXACTLY like the one in ginger stir fry post.

After that it's VERY easy! If you want we will do step by step. First just get correct md5 and TPT on your phone.

Well I typed in Google: FTM ZTE Blade screen and someone redirected to that second link I posted about installing Clockwork and the Recovery Manager. I followed all the steps and I thought that the ROM i had previously downloaded (The Ginger Fry one + GEN2) would work with that tutorial but I got stuck :/

It's not the same MD5 I downloaded it again, then tried the mirrors but still not the same number :s

Guest sm4tik
ok i tried to download this like 10 times. :)

The MD5 Sum is: c4b7f12d48927c367949c9aab4524a4b (doesn't match the one from the link)

I've downloaded the file from here: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...inger-stir-fry/ (Ginger Stir Fry B9 Gen1 Upgrade TPT). I've also tried both mirrors...

Do all the files have the same md5sum? I just downloaded the one from filesonic and it's all good here. I can re-upload it for you to mediafire (atleast I've had no problems with it) or someplace else if you can suggest one?

Guest Deya_87

Ok Mediafire is fine for me :)

Thanks a lot

I didn't check about the MD5 Sum, everytime I would see it didn't match Id deleted the file :s

Edited by Deya_87

Guest sm4tik
Ok Mediafire is fine for me :)

Thanks a lot

I didn't check about the MD5 Sum, everytime I would see it didn't match Id deleted the file :s

Uploading..

Guest sm4tik
Uploading..

And done. BTW, are you downloading straight to your blade? Seems a bit odd that all your tries have failed, using the mirrors too.. Anyway, hope this time you get it right!