Will you be buying ZTE Skate (aka in UK Orange Monte Carlo)

Guest XiaoKai

Guest sane?

It all depends on price. For something that's not much of a step up on the Blade, the price has to be comparable. If they price it anywhere near the prices that have been mentioned (eg 50+% more than the Blade) then its quite simply not a good deal.

Guest XiaoKai
It all depends on price. For something that's not much of a step up on the Blade, the price has to be comparable. If they price it anywhere near the prices that have been mentioned (eg 50+% more than the Blade) then its quite simply not a good deal.

I fear it will be expencive

according to the press release (http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-skate-skate-modaco-com/343149/so-orange-released-a-press-release-today/) there will be 2 other phone released with it

You can Imagen how cheap the cheapest phone can be then a mid range and Skate will be the top model for Orange branded Android phones which leads me to believe it will be around £200

Maybe Barcelona at £100, Stockholm at £150 and Monte Carlo at £200

but ofocurse the logic i used here can be completely wrong and would love to hear from others on this too.

However even if it is priced at around £200 wouldn't it be worth to upgrade from a racer if not from a blade?

Guest Atomix86
However even if it is priced at around £200 wouldn't it be worth to upgrade from a racer if not from a blade?

Not really, as you can get these for the following:

Samsung Galaxy Ace for £149: http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/m...clearance=false

HTC Wildfire S for £145: http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_payg_d...?ItemKey=531711

And if you want a super low price, Sony Xperia X8 for £69: http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/m...clearance=false

And all of these will not only perform admirably well (I have used both the Galaxy Ace and Wildfire S and can personally vouch for there efficiency), they also have a sort of "brand recognition" a lot of people go for. If the Skate truly gets priced as £200, Many people will pass and either get a cheaper phone that has the same (or sometimes better) specs, or slap a little extra on and get a much better phone (eg. an HTC Desire for £249).

Edited by Atomix86

Guest Pelemane
Not really, as you can get these for the following:

Samsung Galaxy Ace for £149: http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/m...clearance=false

HTC Wildfire S for £145: http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_payg_d...?ItemKey=531711

And if you want a super low price, Sony Xperia X8 for £69: http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/m...clearance=false

And all of these will not only perform admirably well (I have used both the Galaxy Ace and Wildfire S and can personally vouch for there efficiency), they also have a sort of "brand recognition" a lot of people go for. If the Skate truly gets priced as £200, Many people will pass and either get a cheaper phone that has the same (or sometimes better) specs, or slap a little extra on and get a much better phone (eg. an HTC Desire for £249).

Those phones are 320 × 480 = awful poop

Wildfire S and X8 have 600MHz msm7227= same as Blade. So Wildfire S and X8 are poop compared to Skate

Ace has same processor as Skate but poop display. So Skate wins.

Guest t0mm13b

Wildfire S and X8 have 600MHz msm7227= same as Blade. So Wildfire S and X8 are poop compared to Skate

Never realized Quu is such a bad influence on you :blink:

Guest Pelemane
Never realized Quu is such a bad influence on you :)

Wow there is a lot of poop in my post :huh:

Maybe I should stay away from him. But he is my only friend at Google+ :blink:

Guest t0mm13b
Wow there is a lot of poop in my post :)

Maybe I should stay away from him. But he is my only friend at Google+ :blink:

lmao :P :huh:

Guest Atomix86

Having the same processor makes it worse? Great logic :blink:

Guest Simon O
I fear it will be expencive

according to the press release (http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-skate-skate-modaco-com/343149/so-orange-released-a-press-release-today/) there will be 2 other phone released with it

You can Imagen how cheap the cheapest phone can be then a mid range and Skate will be the top model for Orange branded Android phones which leads me to believe it will be around £200

Maybe Barcelona at £100, Stockholm at £150 and Monte Carlo at £200

but ofocurse the logic i used here can be completely wrong and would love to hear from others on this too.

Barcelona is £99.99

Stockholm is £79.99

Skate is unknown but I expect it to be around £149.99

Guest t0mm13b
Barcelona is £99.99

Stockholm is £79.99

Skate is unknown but I expect it to be around £149.99

Since when did the blade jump up to 99 quid, thought it was 69 euro or something like that? :blink:

Guest Pelemane
Having the same processor makes it worse? Great logic :blink:

Wut?

As I said:

Wildfire S and X8= poop processor and display compared to Skate.

Ace= same processor that is in Skate but poop display compared to Skate.

Edited by Pelemane

Guest fattybacon
Since when did the blade jump up to 99 quid, thought it was 69 euro or something like that? :blink:

It's £104.99 online and £99 in store. Crazy prices considering only a month or so ago it was £79.99

I'm guessing they have ramped it up temporarily in order to sell it in a sale for £49.99

Guest worto03

I've voted yes but it defo depends on price, I've only had the blade 6 months but my girlfriend likes it so I'm thinking of getting the skate and giving her the blade.

Probably won't do it if it's over £150 though.

Guest nick_sub

I'd like the bigger screen, but for me it would have to be £120. I don't think it looks like it's worth £50 more than the Blade.

Guest Simon O

They keep changing the price. Wouldn't surprise me if when the Skate is launched that Orange drop the prices of all the ZTE devices a little.

Probably:

People that want a pretend blackberry:

Barcelona £89.99

Low end:

Stockholm £69.99

Mid range:

San Francisco £99.99

High end:

Skate £149.99

Guest steve1221

Anyone know if Orange are still doing the £30 off any handset if you're an existing payg customer ?

That could bring the price down nicely !

Guest gitf@ce

I suspect Orange are going to mark this one up quite high. Their references to "live the high life", "top of the range" and "amaze your friends" lead me to believe that this phone will be nearer 200 quid... maybe more?

Guest steve1221
I suspect Orange are going to mark this one up quite high. Their references to "live the high life", "top of the range" and "amaze your friends" lead me to believe that this phone will be nearer 200 quid... maybe more?

I'd think long and hard at that price (as would a lot of people I suspect).

That's placing near the HTC Desire HD, the price of which is dropping as new dual core HTC's with 4.3 inches screen started to arrive.

Guest ThermalDroid

Actually to me it doesn't matter what happens, my blade is knackered, running, but knackered and a phone with a 4.3 inch screen sounds real nice;]

Guest shad_uk

It is likely the Skate will sell around the £200 mark.

Zte used penetration pricing with the Blade in order to establish itself in the UK market (setting the price low in order to attract customers and gain market share. The price will be raised later once this market share is gained).

Also, Orange risks damaging its relations with other manufacturers if it prices the Skate too low. The other manufacturers will simply shift their products to other networks, resulting in lost sales to Orange and ultimately market share. Orange was able to sell the Blade at a low price because Zte was unheard of and so the other manufacturers would not have taken much notice. This is no longer the case.

Guest Simon O

So just to add some information about the Skate. It's being launched on Orange first followed by other retailers at the end of the year. CPU has been updated to 1Ghz, exact type unknown. Price on Orange is less than £150.

Guest sane?

So just to add some information about the Skate. It's being launched on Orange first followed by other retailers at the end of the year. CPU has been updated to 1Ghz, exact type unknown. Price on Orange is less than £150.

I saw your twitter confirmation that it has a 1GHz processor. Now assuming its not a PR flunky giving a bad steer, that basically means an ARM7 processor, no? Unless ZTE are factory overclocking an MSM7227 turbo, there are no 1Ghz ARM6 alternatives.

So why would they be keeping this so silent?

It all seems a bit weird.

Unless its 800Ghz ARM6 with Orange, and 1Ghz ARM7 by Q4? Once they've retooled from missing the market expectations so.

Oh, and any idea if it will be as unlockable/modifiable as before? Orange have got to be a bit miffed that so many were sold, only to be moved to better providers immediately.

Guest hedgepigdaniel

where did you hear that?